Fell off the vape train...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Hi. Just venting, I guess. I really have only seriously tried for about two weeks to use my vape regularly and significantly reduce my cigarettes. I've had my mod since May, but have used it more off than on until a couple of weeks ago. (Was having what was likely 'operator error' issues that discouraged me for quite a while.)

I was doing OK, I guess - down to 2-3 cigarettes a day from around 10-11 before. But, then, BOOM, one day I ended up smoking 6 cigarettes. Now, I am fighting to just get back down under 3-4. No one is likely to have any real solution for me, but maybe some of you will take the time to let me know this isn't uncommon. Words of wisdom??

I am in the process of buying a second mod, and may need go up on the nic level (12 to 18??) as well; I've heard that on this site before.

More info:
40 year smoker, usually about a 1/2 pack a day (at least in the last 10 years)
Salem Slim 100's
Currently using Aspire Zelos/N2 tank
Buying Innokin Kroma/Zenith
12 Nic - Halo Mystic menthol blend 70PG/30VG combined with Evo Spearmint 30PG/70VG

Just trying to get back on the train... Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
When I first started vaping I made a game with myself. Every time I wanted a smoke, I would vape and wait ten minutes...if I still wanted a smoke after ten minutes, I'd have one. It was remarkable how infrequently I had that smoke, just giving a little time for the urge to go away seemed to help a lot. I also refused to beat myself up if I did have a smoke. I also smoked for over 40 years, about the same amount as you. I hope that helps some.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When I first started vaping I made a game with myself. Every time I wanted a smoke, I would vape and wait ten minutes...if I still wanted a smoke after ten minutes, I'd have one. It was remarkable how infrequently I had that smoke, just giving a little time for the urge to go away seemed to help a lot. I also refused to beat myself up if I did have a smoke. I also smoked for over 40 years, about the same amount as you. I hope that helps some.
I did something similar, except I only allowed myself HALF of a cigarette, saved the second half for the next bad craving. Those half smoked cigarettes tasted pretty BAD, but that helped me to quit.

Might help to only buy a brand/type of cigarette that you don't normally smoke. I was a menthol smoker, and if someone offered me a regular tobacco cigarette I'd pass until I could find a menthol.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Kind of did the same thing - except I would not necessarily go for the smoke as quick as that. Then, one day, I gave myself a whole lot less time, and easily hit 6 cigarettes. Bummer.

Also, before I blew it with the 6 cigarettes, I was only smoking a third to half of a cigarette each time. Unfortunately, the taste of a pre-lit cigarette didn't bother me a bit!!

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
If you have the desire to quit nothing can take away that from you. When you have the urge to smoke try and vape and if you aren't getting your nic fill try a higher nic level. A friend of mine is going through a similar struggle. I told him that when he feels like giving up on vaping that's the exact time to stay strong and believe that it's possible that vaping will work. Sometimes buying a few mods and turning vaping into a hobby can definitely keep the vaping stronger. It can also help to challenge yourself by leaving the cigarettes at home when you go out and only taking a device or two with you. Always important to have a backup so you don't get stuck. I hope this helps.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
I do drink, but I was seeing a pattern - regardless of that - when it was better or worse for me. Usually early in the morning, sitting on the patio reading the news and drinking coffee was a problem. Then, later in the afternoon, toward evening time - problem again. However, mostly, after about 9PM at night, I didn't vape regularly - nor did I ever smoke much after that either. Now, all that has gone down the tubes for some reason...

Reactions: stols001

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
If you have the desire to quit nothing can take away that from you. When you have the urge to smoke try and vape and if you aren't getting your nic fill try a higher nic level. A friend of mine is going through a similar struggle. I told him that when he feels like giving up on vaping that's the exact time to stay strong and believe that it's possible that vaping will work. Sometimes buying a few mods and turning vaping into a hobby can definitely keep the vaping stronger. It can also help to challenge yourself by leaving the cigarettes at home when you go out and only taking a device or two with you. Always important to have a backup so you don't get stuck. I hope this helps.

I haven't taken cigarettes with me anywhere for over a decade or more. I have never smoked in my 11 year old car; essentially I don't smoke while I am anywhere other than at home - outside on my screened in patio. I do the same with the vapes. If I didn't need the cigarettes while I was out, I don't need the vapes either.

I am not contemplating giving up. Just bummed that all of a sudden the drive/motivation/discipline I had is now in very, very low gear.

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
Everyone here has had a different experience switching to vaping, don't worry about quitting the smokes, if you need one, smoke one. Vape as often as you can instead, if you stay with it you will eventually be a vapor and not a smoker. Some people switch easily, some not so much. It really doesn't matter either way does it? If you're smoke free tomorrow or 2 years from your smoking 6 a day instead of 10, it's still a win!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I haven't taken cigarettes with me anywhere for over a decade or more. I have never smoked in my 11 year old car; essentially I don't smoke while I am anywhere other than at home - outside on my screened in patio. I do the same with the vapes. If I didn't need the cigarettes while I was out, I don't need the vapes either.

I am not contemplating giving up. Just bummed that all of a sudden the drive/motivation/discipline I had is now in very, very low gear.
    Addiction can overwhelm drive /motivation /discipline. Addicts aren't undriven.

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    I do drink, but I was seeing a pattern - regardless of that - when it was better or worse for me. Usually early in the morning, sitting on the patio reading the news and drinking coffee was a problem. Then, later in the afternoon, toward evening time - problem again. However, mostly, after about 9PM at night, I didn't vape regularly - nor did I ever smoke much after that either. Now, all that has gone down the tubes for some reason...

Noticing patterns is a good thing. And for most people a vape device is not an instant winner. Yeah, you read here how folks made the switch by turning away from cigarettes instantly. For the majority it is not as simple as that.

One day at a time and don't sweat the bad days. There'll be good days and not good days.

An Innokin Kroma/Zenith will hopefully make you happy. Perhaps a flavor of juice that is nowhere near your favorite brand of cigarette may help as well.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama

I still use a tobacco flavor in the mornings when I drink coffee, mostly. I have some other flavors that work like bakery stuff, since I don't eat breakfast. It's just finding something that tastes good with your coffee.

We are all different but Tribeca is what got me to stick with vaping and stop dual using. It had enough of a tobacco to it plus was sweet enough that I actually craved the taste of it over a cigarette. It was really the first flavor (to me) that made cigarettes taste awful.

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    Don't give up on the vapes or on yourself. Celebrate the ones you don't smoke rather than cursing the ones you did. :thumb:

I was a long-time Vslims menthol smoker, but it was actually the fruit flavors that got me to switch completely. I wasn't planning to quit, but one morning I just realized that I really didn't want the one I was about to light up, and hit the vape instead.

It isn't as easy to try different flavors if you don't have a local vape shop with a sample bar, but if you can find some pods or even cigalikes in different flavors, it might be worth a shot to see if there is something that you might like that isn't menthol and/or tobacco. I started with Blu, and even if it wasn't good enough to get me to switch, it was enough to show me that there were possibilities. Try a higher nic juice to see if that might help with getting over the hump. Some folks have also used WTA's (Whole Tobacco Alkaloid) juices when they needed some of the other chemicals found in the leaves. Also, you may start to prefer different flavors as your taste changes after smoking less. Don't be afraid to change things up as you move along the journey.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2018
    Winter Park, FL
    Thanks everyone! All good info and advice. I'll just keep at it and hopefully the days I smoke more 'real' cigarettes will become less frequent over time.

I was adamant about getting e juice that tasted somewhat similar to a 'real' cigarette. The combo I am using seemed to do the trick; but, just after two weeks of consistent use, I am beginning to not like the flavor so much. It's starting to taste a little burnt - even after changing to a new coil. Have others experienced that? Or, is there something else going on that I have yet to learn?

I am actually going to add more spearmint and less of the tobacco menthol juice from now on - just testing. Not ready to go to fruity or sweet tasting stuff - may not ever go for that, but certainly not right now.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Since you will have two tanks I would suggest using 18mg in one to vape early morning and when cravings are worse. I would also encourage you to try a couple new juices. Caramel, coffee & cream, or maybe a pecan & cream. All go well with coffee and are good after meals.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Thanks everyone! All good info and advice. I'll just keep at it and hopefully the days I smoke more 'real' cigarettes will become less frequent over time.

I was adamant about getting e juice that tasted somewhat similar to a 'real' cigarette. The combo I am using seemed to do the trick; but, just after two weeks of consistent use, I am beginning to not like the flavor so much. It's starting to taste a little burnt - even after changing to a new coil. Have others experienced that? Or, is there something else going on that I have yet to learn?

I am actually going to add more spearmint and less of the tobacco menthol juice from now on - just testing. Not ready to go to fruity or sweet tasting stuff - may not ever go for that, but certainly not right now.

I said the same thing about fruits and sweets, lol. I don't even eat sweets much but I do like the vape versions. Here's a good one, I love absinthe flavored juices but hate/won't eat licorice and black jelly beans. Then on the other side I like cinnamon buns every now and then, but cannot stand to vape anything with it in it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Why You Don't Need an E-Liquid that Tastes Like Cigarettes

The less you smoke, the faster that your taste buds will heal and your sense of taste will improve. I'm of the opinion that cigarettes in fact taste nasty to everyone but to those who still smoke. My guess is your taste buds are starting to heal and that "cigarette flavor" is beginning to taste bad because it does. :)

Last edited:

Chajo

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2018
    Winter Park, FL
    Why You Don't Need an E-Liquid that Tastes Like Cigarettes

The less you smoke, the faster that your taste buds will heal and your sense of taste will improve. I'm of the opinion that cigarettes in fact taste nasty to everyone but to those who still smoke. My guess is your taste buds are starting to heal and that "cigarette flavor" is beginning to taste bad because it does.
    You might be right - I actually hope you're right. BUT - the 'real' cigarettes still taste pretty good!!!

Good article btw!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread