Few Question before I order

Status
Not open for further replies.

themysterious1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2011
Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
Im looking to get a Reo ASAP. LOL I have been using VV mods and come to the fact that I like my vape between 4.5v to 5.0v. Would I be able to this with a Reo Grand like these bc they take the 18650 batteries that I already have plenty of ? What kind of Atty would you recommend to get the voltage I am looking for? Like a 2.5 ohm or 3.0 ohm atty? Next would be what is a good atty to start with? Thanks for the help hope to order one this week after I get some answers to my questions first. Writing this I see I have been to spoiled with the VV I lost all aspects of what to use. LOL

PansSiren

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2012
Denver
Thanks guys by the time I buy the Grand and the RM2 I might as well just buy the VV it will be around the same price. So what would be a good atty to use on the Reo?

The RM2 is the atty. It's a rebuildable that also allows for juice to flow up into it from the bottom. You make the insides yourself with cotton and wire. The worst one you make will be better than the best you ever bought!

And the Grand and VV are totally different, you should get which one suits your preference... one is not better than the other, and price doesn't reflect superior quality. It's a matter of what you want.

Whether you get a Grand or a VV, either way, you still have to buy an atomizer.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The RM2 is still the best atty out there.....if you're into rebuildables at all. Even for the VV Grand. It'll give you the best vape you've ever had. But...if you don't want to do rebuildable (you should....very easy, and VERY cheap in the long run) then any good 510 or 306 atty will work. Before I started using the rebuildable attys, I really, really liked the HH-357, but it was expensive. I thought it was worth the money until I discovered rebuildables.....

themysterious1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2011
Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
I just really want a bottom feeder with good quality thats why I am getting the Reo. I like the Grand bc I have batteries already but that is about the only reason. I just would like to vape between 4.5 to 5.0 volts and if I cant do that on the grand then I would get the VV. If you are saying I can with the RM2 than I would try that. Im just looking for what is going to fit my needs better with what I like to vape at. Im not into rebuilding atties but if its cheaper in the long run than buying atties all the time I would love to learn how to. I appreciate all the responses also. Im not familiar with the RM2 and how it works so I will go see if I can find some videos on it.

bunker0617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2013
AZ
RM2 is simple and amazing. You'll be building coils like a champ in about five minutes it's so easy. Like everyone said above the grand with RM2 you can dial in your coil to your preference. I was so sold on vv before my grand. I thought yeah but I need vv.. not the case... The RM2 is fun too you can play with all kinds of ohm coils, finding your sweet spot.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
That looks pretty easy. What resistance wire would i need to get the 4.5v or 5v vape? Is there like a chart or something I can check out?

you really, really need to stop thinking in terms of volts. it is misleading! think in terms of watts, instead.

let's say your current VV device is 5.0 volts and you use a 3 ohm atty or carto. what that really, really means is that you enjoy your vape somewhere around 8.3 watts.

next, you go here.

plug in 8.3 into the P box and say 4 (or 3.7) into V (for a mech mod like the Grand), and that will tell you the resistance to the coil to build to get the same watts.

next go here and find something in the ballpark

themysterious1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2011
Cuyahoga Falls,Ohio
OK according to the Ohms law calculator I come up with the following

Voltage: 4.61
Current: 1.5384 Amps
Resistance: 3 Ohms
Power: 7.1 Watts

How do I look up what I need on the other page? Not really sure what to look for as far as what gauge wire to use and how many coils to wrap?

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
4.5v on a 2.5ohm atty is 8.1 watts
4.5v on a 3 ohm atty is 6.75 watts
5v on a 2.5 ohm is 10 watts
5v on a 3 ohm is 8.33 watts

So assuming you like a little over 8 watts of power you need attys around 2 ohms for regular Reo Grand to get the same heat.

Just get the Reomizer 2.0, RM2, rebuildable atomizer and some 28 ga kanthal wire. I've only been building coils since Wednesday and I can do one in a few minutes now.

The funny thing is on my vv/vw device I was running 2.5ohm attys at 7.2 watts or 4.2v. now with the RM2 on a Reo I'm running .8 to 1 ohm coils which equals 16 to 21 watts. I could never go that high with a standard atty they tasted horrible, but now I get much better flavor and vapor.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
OK according to the Ohms law calculator I come up with the following

Voltage: 4.61
Current: 1.5384 Amps
Resistance: 3 Ohms
Power: 7.1 Watts

How do I look up what I need on the other page? Not really sure what to look for as far as what gauge wire to use and how many coils to wrap?

you probably want to start with getting 30 and 32 gauge. reosmods has reasonable prices for small quantities to try out. once you find what works do a search on ebay for something like "kanthal 30ga". TEMco usually has the best prices

here's a few samples from the thread i mentioned that should get you in the ballpark:
32 Gauge

Wire Type & Gauge: 32g Kanthal A-1
Coil size (what you wrap it on):Tiny screwdriver, roughly the size of a 16 gauge needle
Number of Coils: 17
Measured Ohms of coil: ~3.0ohm

Kanthal A1 32 awg twisted 2 stands
Wrapped on 1mm Ekowool with .039" (1mm) music wire core
8 coils, 1.1Ω

Wire Type & Gauge: 32g kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): 1/16" drill bit
Number of Coils: 10
Measured Ohms of coil: 2.4 ohm

Wire Type & Gauge: 32g Kanthal
Coil size (what you wrap it on): my trusty paperclip leg
Number of Coils: 14 or 15?
Measured Ohms of coil: 3.8

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
4.5v on a 2.5ohm atty is 8.1 watts
4.5v on a 3 ohm atty is 6.75 watts
5v on a 2.5 ohm is 10 watts
5v on a 3 ohm is 8.33 watts

So assuming you like a little over 8 watts of power you need attys around 2 ohms for regular Reo Grand to get the same heat.

Just get the Reomizer 2.0, RM2, rebuildable atomizer and some 28 ga kanthal wire. I've only been building coils since Wednesday and I can do one in a few minutes now.

The funny thing is on my vv/vw device I was running 2.5ohm attys at 7.2 watts or 4.2v. now with the RM2 on a Reo I'm running .8 to 1 ohm coils which equals 16 to 21 watts. I could never go that high with a standard atty they tasted horrible, but now I get much better flavor and vapor.

i'm guessing that's because microcoils or even minicoils provide the potential for increased goodness.

i'm certainly no expert at all this. hopefully, one of the gurus will chime in shortly (and probably bi***-slap me upside the head)
:)

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
It might seem a little daunting at first but everyone here wants you to find your perfect vape. (one of the best parts of being a Reo owner is this forum) The Grand with the RM2 can't be beat. If you're looking to save you can't get any better. You buy a 6 dollar box of cotton there's enough to leave in your will. You buy a 8 dollar roll of Kanthal wire and you have enough wire for 5 years or so. I estimate the cost of a rebuild at around 7 or 8 cents. I haven't seen any cartos clearos or tanks at that price. Go with the Grand and we will get you to the place you want to be.

PansSiren

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2012
Denver
I know I felt intimidated before buying the RM2, and I would bet that most felt the same way. Truth is, it's super easy and pretty fun. It might take you 5-10 minutes to build your first one, then you'll be knocking them out in like 2-3 minutes. You can even leave the coil in place and just replace the wick (slide old one out, slide new one in (don't tell the wife)), and it's almost like a brand new atomizer... that cost you literally less than a penny.

The vape between a grand and a RM2 is unbeatable, and in my opinion, the most convenient and hassle free! No leaks and misfires, it just works. If there is any kind of problem you can muster up, you will get answers - quick! Very good support group here, we're all running the same thing!

I like the Grand because I can dunk it in water to wash it, and it can take a brutal beating. I don't drop mine much at all, but when I do, I usually do a pretty good job of slamming it on the ground really hard. I'm more worried about my toes being in the way than the Grand breaking. The VV is a little more fragile, no water bath for that guy! By making your own coils, you are making your own VV... it just won't be regulated... but that's nothing an extra battery won't fix halfway through your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread