Finally figured out how to get my vamo v5 to chuck clouds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shusta

Mar 21, 2014
United States
So i bought my vamo and a buncha kanthal and a rda and was all exited, built a single dragon coil worked great....then i tried to make a duel coil...oh no nothing i tried worked! no coil configuration no gauge nothing!!!! then i figured it out guys! Stacking your batts (18350's and cranking up your volts to 6 you can build 2 dragon coils with 30g kanthal wraped 14 times at 1.2 ohms and you sir have the same thing rip trippers had in his video. Now granted the clouds are a tad weaker but honestly this is the best rda set up for a vamo i could find in 2 months of research. Now if anyone has a better idea please do tell!

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
Hmm, this sounds dangerous. I don't like to get preachy, and I am a sub-ohmer myself, but stacking 18350's is a good way to burn your face off! 18350 batteries have relatively low max current ratings, and stacking has been warned against on these forums for years.

If you want to chuck the vapor, buy a decent mech mod. You can get clones super cheap that have good performance. The doctor's bills you save will put you ahead in the end.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
It's a protected mod, stacking 18350's is actually fairly safe in the Vamo - so much so that's it's recommended in the instruction book and by some reviewers.

I'd still number the batteries and monitor their starting and finishing voltage and make sure they stay as a pair, but that's just me.

Still, I'd agree with getting a mech with a good quality battery if you are looking for better setups.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I hope the FDA does not have any access to this thread. This is exactly the kind of behavior they look for as reasons to shut vaping down for good. Good luck, Sunshine, with your stacked 350s. You're gonna need it.

Would you like to explain how stacked 18350's is going to lead to the FDA to "shut down vaping"

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
I also use the Nano dragon coil but on a single Sony 18650 30A battery in a magneto mod. I have used it on my VTR and SVD but I get better performance from the Mec. as intheshade pointed out it is safe to stack 18350 in Vamo I stack them in the SVD and VTR but like he said make sure you keep them as a set, use a sharpie and mark them so you know. I also don't charge and discharge them on the charger I use for my other batteries. I have an expensive charger for RC use, so I can keep them both as one unit discharged and charged. I have a balance charge device that lets them balance charge together as if there one battery, so each cell discharges and recharges exactly the same.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
I think the fear is around the fact that there seems to be a very high influx of new vapors lately that show up on the board saying "hey, I've never vaped but I want to wrap this wicked quad-nano-dragon coil I saw Rip Tripper build so I can blow huge clouds". Frankly is scares the bajezus out of me too and I've tried to slow more than one person down for safety reasons.

Is it safe to stack batteries in the Vamo? Yes. Is it safe to stack in many mods? Yes. Are there general rules that need to be followed? Yes. The fact that the Vamo wouldn't fire the build wasn't "because" it wasn't loaded with stacked batteries but rather due to the fact that the build was below 1.3 ohms which is the safety threshold on the Vamo. Stacking the batteries tricked it out.

It's just a growing concern. No offense intended to the OP here at all. I think with many, myself included, is that when we see somone with only a handful of post who wants to "chuck big clouds" it sets off alarm bells. Has no one else noticed that as little as two or three months ago what was concidered a crazy low ohm coil set up was in the .5 range and now that is seen as just starting to get in to sub ohm? I know batteries are puting out much higher amps and are safer but am I the only one worried about people building .2ohm coils dual coils? Maybe it's just progression and we'll all laugh about it in a year but it does make me concerned that the "pros" show step by step how to build things like quad-nano/micro-dragon coils with no disclaimer about how the are very advanced builds, no reminders to be sure to understand battery safety, just "hoooooooooooohaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......she's chuckin' the vapor now"!

I love Rip Tripper, he is hands down the best coil builder out there and revolutionizes building every day. He has taught us how to rebuild stock PT heads and many others, he taught us chimney builds, micro, nano, etc. so this isn't a knock on Rip at all. Just think it may be time for a PSA reminder from all the pros as, with popularity of vaping on the rise, we don't want anyone getting hurt.

That's my $.02, ok maybe $.05 and again no offense to anyone! Just my rantings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread