Finally happened to me today .. negative vaping comments from smokers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Did you know that letting someone sleep after getting a concussion can kill them?

Of course not, it was thought at one time to be true though. We make judgments based on our experiences. When we lack direct experience then we use what data we are provided. Too many short sighted and blatantly incorrect reports have tainted public knowledge.

This is the main issue. All we can do is attempt to undo the damage.

Do any of you remember when Mickey from the Life cereal commercial died from eating pop rocks and drinking soda?... it is the exact same issue. It takes constant proof otherwise to convince people what is truth and what is fiction.

oh, and just in case you believe the above:
Surprising concussion myths and facts

and

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddrink/a/little_mikey.htm

Here is some of the damage that can be done!!!

Unfortunately, the boy who played Little Mikey at the age of three never achieved much fame outside of those commercials and, by the late '70s, had seemingly vanished from sight. This gave the rumor legs, and sales began to suffer. Despite an effort to dispel the falsehood by taking out full-page ads in dozens of newspapers across the country and mailing explanatory letters to 50,000 school principals, misinformation prevailed and General Foods was forced to pull Pop Rocks from the market in 1980. The rumor died with the candy. (Pop Rocks enjoyed a resurgence five years later when the patent changed hands, and have been off and on the market since as different companies bought and sold the rights.)

The Vagabond

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
LA,California,USA
Hummmmm I remember when I smoked I had the most sensitive sense of smell, so if a smoker says they stink, they are right!

You can't fix stupid ....
On the same token you can only engage someone that's open to hearing alternate explanations. This is where all the disinformation that's been circulated becomes powerful for those funding its spread. All in all the e-cig debate is not about anything besides several factions trying to do a sales job.

There are big profits at stake and some well entrenched, funded and experienced opponents in the game.
So lets be realistic about this sales job, big tobacco, pharma, and lobbyists galore, are not concerned about your or public health, just healthy profits!
So brothers and sisters in vape, it's up to you to fight the battle in the trenches, one by one and expose to all those willing to listen, how vaping gave you years, in healthier living...

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
<--edited for brevity-->

There are big profits at stake and some well entrenched, funded and experienced opponents in the game.
So lets be realistic about this sales job, big tobacco, pharma, and lobbyists galore, are not concerned about your or public health, just healthy profits!
So brothers and sisters in vape, it's up to you to fight the battle in the trenches, one by one and expose to all those willing to listen, how vaping gave you years, in healthier living...

What you say is true, and an interesting illustration of the phenomenon of e-cigarettes: something that will save millions of lives, but has produced a violent reaction from the commercial interests who will lose out.

Something very simple, that is being made out to be complex or dangerous.

Potentially the biggest boost to public health since the invention of antibiotics, but being desperately resisted by people who will lose fortunes as a result. 500 million lives that could be saved, but billions of dollars lost as a result. Just the way it is. Life or money.

There will always be people prepared to kill thousands in order to pay their mortgage, and ECF is an easy target.

This pile of quasi-scientific junk we often see was separately funded and almost certainly produced as a response to a request in the research world for a study that would take trivial issues and creatively turn them into major health hazards, meaning that ecigs need to be banned or regulated out of existence.

RHP

Last edited:

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Did you know that letting someone sleep after getting a concussion can kill them?

Of course not, it was thought at one time to be true though. We make judgments based on our experiences. When we lack direct experience then we use what data we are provided. Too many short sighted and blatantly incorrect reports have tainted public knowledge.

Ok, I hate to come across as pedantic but people need to understand this. The fear of letting someone sleep can be quite valid. It's not that sleep in and of itself will kill them, no, not at all. But if there is any bleeding inside the skull, the person could slip into a coma and - if they're sleeping - no one would notice. So, yes, let them sleep but wake them up every couple of hours to make sure they *can* wake up. And if you can't rouse them, better get some medical help fast.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm sure it's been said before, but Haters gonna Hate. It's sad that some people have to tear others down to build themselves up. I've had to work in situations like that and it is pure HELL.

The group I work with now, (Quality Engineering), are some of the best, most supportive, most positive, yes you-can-do-it, lift you up types of people I've ever had the privilege of knowing and working with. And yes, I'm a HUGE fan of all of them. I avoid the tear-you-down types like the plague and refuse to give them the time of day unless absolutely necessary.
As vapors we have the intention to better our health and those around us by making the switch to harm-reduction nicotine products. Smokers can be like crabs in a bucket.

All of the crabs want to get out, but as soon as one almost gets out, the others grab him and pull him back down with the rest. Smokers are like that with vapors by telling us about all the unsafe chemicals e-cigs have, they have radiator fluid in the juice, cause pneumonia, smell bad, etc.

Just consider the source. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread