Finland the Nanny state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
so a friend of mine in England sent me three vapes, they never arrived.

Found out later that they had been destroyed by customs and they never informed me that a gift addressed to me, had been destroyed.

Turns out that you can’t buy online in Finland or abroad: vapes (whole or as parts, build it yourself equipment), tanks, liquids or none nicotine liquids.

You can only buy it from registered businesses which have blanked out windows and no advertising.

Of which there is very few and if none in your area, guess what, no online buying!

The only device I have bought was a pico squeeze 2 and due to how hard it is to buy here, cost me 100e!

The reason for all this is that the government here is afraid children will vape candy flavour weed with such devices.

So along with normal tabacco laws, they add even more restraints to vape culture.

Sucks balls!

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
that is out of order,not telling you you have post then destroying it, no doubt with a smile on their mugs.
Yeah.

I’ve had post from America, Canada, Portugal and England all never arrive even though the tracking said it made it to destination.

Mixture of boots, a hat, jewelry and food.

Finland hates outside products and it’s why stuff is so expensive here.

There is only one company you can buy alcohol over 5% strength from here, only one train service, only one postal service.

Everything is monopolies and external competition is not allowed.

If you work for a company and then go and start your own company doing the same thing, you are breaking the law here.

Reactions: stols001

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
That does suck balls. Is it true that being naked is like nothing there? I thought I heard something like, a girl brought her boyfriend home for the first time to meet her parents and both parents greeted him naked, like it was nothing...
Yeah everyone gets naked for sauna and at swimming changing rooms etc.

Most houses have saunas and there are public ones in every town, city.

It’s fine to go swimming naked to

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
OMG that's bad, really bad. You know I had actually thought things would be much more liberal there ... when I'm in Spain the excellent Vape Shop I use in Fuengirola is Finnvape and even the web site is mainly in Suomi.
Yeah the main one here is finnvape, actually the only one I can use.

Reactions: Falconeer

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
So it's ban everything + bare all? I guess cigarettes are easy to get? (Not suggesting for a minute - just curious).

I see Snus isn't even legal there either. What a shame.
Cigs are easy to buy everywhere but they have to be behind a door or shutter so you can’t see them

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Most Finns I've known have been a grim lot. Heh, my HS best friend and one of my teachers were from there.

I always kinda thought the "Finn attitude" (it seems to comprise of BACK DOWN from nothing, you had BETTER be good at stuff, and plan for EVERY worst case scenario was like, sort of impressive, and due to the atmosphere there. IIRC they SUCCESSFULLY fought of the Germans, that takes some guts, too. Although maybe the Germans were like, "This island isn't so great, and it's not worth the hassle," there is always that.)

So anyway blackout windows and no advertising sounds about right.

Although, I am sorry for your plight, that really blows.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I always kinda thought the "Finn attitude" (it seems to comprise of BACK DOWN from nothing, you had BETTER be good at stuff, and plan for EVERY worst case scenario was like, sort of impressive, and due to the atmosphere there. IIRC they SUCCESSFULLY fought of the Germans, that takes some guts, too. Although maybe the Germans were like, "This island isn't so great, and it's not worth the hassle," there is always that.)
Actually, they were more successful fighting off the Russians early on than the Germans later in the war.

The Finns are a bit of an enigma, with a language and culture that's quite distinct from their surrounding neighbors.

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
Most Finns I've known have been a grim lot. Heh, my HS best friend and one of my teachers were from there.

So anyway blackout windows and no advertising sounds about right.

Although, I am sorry for your plight, that really blows.

Anna
Yeah kind of right, and it was the Russians they fought off, and Finland’s not an island hahaha

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Saw a TV show about Finland once a long time ago. There was a group of guys out ice fishing, they were wearing suits and ties and dress shoes. They did have fur hats on. Interviewer asked them if they were cold, they shrugged their shoulders and looked embarrassed. One said, oh it's OK.

Someone said it was a cultural no-no to admit you are cold. Like it's always cold, once you say the words the floodgates could open.

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
Saw a TV show about Finland once a long time ago. There was a group of guys out ice fishing, they were wearing suits and ties and dress shoes. They did have fur hats on. Interviewer asked them if they were cold, they shrugged their shoulders and looked embarrassed. One said, oh it's OK.

Someone said it was a cultural no-no to admit you are cold. Like it's always cold, once you say the words the floodgates could open.
You see a lot of young girls wearing summer clothes almost, and no hats as they want to be trendy even in -20’C still.

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
@Ben Killeen , so how are the vape prices/laws in Sweden, Norway or Denmark? Perhaps it's time for a mini vape-cation. ;)
That would cost more than the prices to buy them here.

By car Sweden is about 8 hrs away from me, and to fly is about 5 hrs car to Helsinki and then the plain to Stockholm , or 4.5 hrs drive to Turku and a 2-3 hr ferries to Stockholm.

Forget the other two countries.

And if you went by plane or boat, you could get stopped if it’s in your hand luggage.

So not worth the effort

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
that is out of order,not telling you you have post then destroying it, no doubt with a smile on their mugs.

I know nothing about Customs in Finland. However, if it's anything like Customs in some other countries I've been to...the "seized" and supposedly destroyed products, aren't actually destroyed at all in many cases. They end up as just unofficial, unauthorized "perks" of the job for the Customs people. ;)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread