First build attempts, couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirtyfour41

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi guys. I'm relatively new to vaping but wanted to try my hand at building my own coils. I didn't want to break the bank so I ordered fasttech:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1431800
and
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1552300

First off, did I make decent choices?

Second, I figured I'll try one of each, dripper and tank. For the time being, I am going to use my MVP 2.0 as a battery until I can learn more about sub ohming and proper battery use/safety. But I'm still trying to get down to around 1.4-1.5 ohms. What gauge kanthal do you recommend and how many wraps, give or take? I found a helpful post here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/446263-micro-coils-ohms-description.html

But I am still a little confused on what to wrap it on and how many wraps average will give me what I'm looking to accomplish. Also, I think because of its availability and price, I am thinking of just using cotton to start.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice you guys can give. Thanks!

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    But I am still a little confused on what to wrap it on and how many wraps average will give me what I'm looking to accomplish. Also, I think because of its availability and price, I am thinking of just using cotton to start.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice you guys can give. Thanks!

5042886961.jpg
    I get my cotton from CVS cotton sq at the makeup section big bag $3.79 don't have to boil them - CVS Premium Cotton Squares, 100% Cotton - CVS pharmacy
    Most use a small drill bit I use a 16ga needle it allows me to insert the cotton then withdraw the coil with cotton inside.

More coils more ohms thicker wire more ohms.

Five wraps should give around 2.1 ohms depending on your wire thickness.

TIP: Buy what you need not what you want!

Last edited:

suspectK

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    Download vapors tool box. I wrap on a fluke lead (~2mm). 5/4wrap will give you 1.5ohms with that diameter. Edit-with 30gauge.

I'm using rolled cotton from cvs, after getting frustrated with cotton balls for several months.

I have both, but not from slowtech.. The tobeco russian91 clone might have wick wells that are too small. Just discovered that today. You might be able to use it without too much issue. I didn't have problems until I started using deciohm coils with it. I'm going to get a file or something to fix that tomorrow, and I'll post fix in a clone thread.. and the 91or lite thread. The igow I haven't sanded down screws. I break legs of I use contact holes. I suspect that the screws have too much of an edge.

Last edited:

cghildreth

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 4, 2012
    Central Texas
    There's some misleading or incomplete information posted in this thread.

On resistance wire, the higher the gauge, the thinner the wire and the more resistance you have. For example, a two inch long piece of 28g kanthal a-1 has far less resistance than a two inch long piece of 32g kanthal a-1. With a given wire size, your resistance is going to be determined by how long the piece of resistance wire is, not by how many wraps you have made. To illustrate, if I make one wrap around a 1/16" drill bit, that wrap is much shorter in length than one wrap on a 1" dowel. Correspondingly, the resistance of the wrap around a 1/16" drill bit will be much less than the resistance of the wrap around a 1" dowel - by a factor of 16.

To sum this up, the thinner your wire is, the higher the resistance. The thicker your wire is the lower the resistance. The longer your wire is, the higher the resistance. The shorter your wire is, the lower the resistance.

On the note regarding your MVP, most vv/vw device (like your MVP) will have a low resistance cut off. This means that if you put a coil that is lower than the particular mod's low resistance cut-off, your mod won't fire. This is a built in safety feature to *most* vv/vw devices. If I were you, I would shoot for a micro coil wrapped on a 1/16" drill bit in the 1.5 ohm range. Use a cotton wick.

One last note - before you start building, you need to watch a few videos and read a few articles/tutorials on ohm's law and battery safety. This stuff can be pretty dangerous if you're not careful and/or don't understand basic electronic circuits and safe battery discharge limits.

suspectK

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    cghildreth:11830681 said:
    One last note - before you start building, you need to watch a few videos and read a few articles/tutorials on ohm's law and battery safety. This stuff can be pretty dangerous if you're not careful and/or don't understand basic electronic circuits and safe battery discharge limits.

Using high resistances with disposables with regulated batteries can be more dangerous than rebuildable standard-low resistance in unregulated mods.. the circuit cutoff protects from atomizer resistance, which is 3.5amps on MVP.. but the mvp is something to not really worry about.. since you can't pick the wrong battery. The short circuit protection doesn't protect you from your battery being taxed too much from boost circuit.

Before I got mechanicals, I preferred to use my MVP for rebuildables, specifically the kayfuns. Once you dip below the 1.3ohm range(I would stay below 2.5ohms if you're going to only use with mvp too), you won't get the best range out of your mvp. It will fire a 0.8ohm coil, but it will stay at ~2.78Volts.

Last edited:

thirtyfour41

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Thanks everyone. Yeah, I have been watching hours of stuff on YouTube, but by no means am I an expert. That's why I'm asking questions, so I can properly learn. I understand the safety concerns, but I chose to start with the MVP so I can have more time to understand the safety while still learning coil building.

But thanks everyone again for your input.

Sounds like you got a good base to learn on. I have been wrapping my R91/Kayfun with a 30Ga at 10 wraps on a 3/32 drill bit for a 1.4 ohm load. I have done both vertical and horizontal coils. The horizontal coil at 45 degrees from the posts is more forgiving than the vertical coil, but the vertical when done right really rocks the flavor. I also use rolled sterile cotton as a wick. All I care about is flavor.

My Russian 91% (basically a Kayfun) is the single best purchase I have made since I started vaping. Your Kayfun clone is going to be a fantastic platform to learn off of.

thirtyfour41

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    My Russian 91% (basically a Kayfun) is the single best purchase I have made since I started vaping. Your Kayfun clone is going to be a fantastic platform to learn off of.

Excellent, man! I was going to get the Russian 91% but it's a little expensive to learn on. I REALLY love the design, though. Maybe somewhere down the line when I get better. Also I've spent WAYYYYY to much already since starting vaping about a month ago, so I have to go on a purchasing hiatus until I break even at least. Thanks for the tip!

I got my Russian very recently. I ordered a Kayfun Lite Plus as well, but I have to wait for it. I am so pleased with the Russian that I am vacillating between boosting my Kayfun order to 2 or maybe just snagging another Russian.

I figure that I have spent more on Clearos and replacement coils than if I were to have just bought a couple R91/Kayfun set-ups. IMO I wish I had known the difference before buying all the clearos, but we live and learn. Provided the clone works as well as the original, and I have little reason to believe it won't, you will be totally stoked.

I am also looking at drippers with similar results as the Kayfun right now. I have almost settled on a cyclone, but I am still trying to take in as much info as possible before I drop any money on one. I want a nice "big" workspace, and a small chamber for flavor.

thirtyfour41

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I got my Russian very recently. I ordered a Kayfun Lite Plus as well, but I have to wait for it. I am so pleased with the Russian that I am vacillating between boosting my Kayfun order to 2 or maybe just snagging another Russian.

I figure that I have spent more on Clearos and replacement coils than if I were to have just bought a couple R91/Kayfun set-ups. IMO I wish I had known the difference before buying all the clearos, but we live and learn. Provided the clone works as well as the original, and I have little reason to believe it won't, you will be totally stoked.

I am also looking at drippers with similar results as the Kayfun right now. I have almost settled on a cyclone, but I am still trying to take in as much info as possible before I drop any money on one. I want a nice "big" workspace, and a small chamber for flavor.

I've spent most of my money trying different juice. I purchased a few clearos, PT3, an MVP and a few spare EVOD tanks and obviously coils but mostly on different juices. Trying to find some I can rotate regularly and all. I just placed three orders tonight from seduce juice, mbv and Vapor chef. I think I'm addicted to flavor as well. That's most of the reason I want to build a dripper. So, thanks to a bottle of good Malbec, I've got almost 200ml on the way :)

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    5042886961.jpg
    I get my cotton from CVS cotton sq at the makeup section big bag $3.79 don't have to boil them - CVS Premium Cotton Squares, 100% Cotton - CVS pharmacy
    Most use a small drill bit I use a 16ga needle it allows me to insert the cotton then withdraw the coil with cotton inside.

More coils more ohms thicker wire more ohms.

TIP: Buy what you need not what you want!

I re-read my post and noticed I made a mistake It should read as
    More coils more ohms.

Last edited:

floridaBMW

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2012
    S. Florida
    Well if flavor u want then dripping u should have. The post above fr "cdhildreth" was SPOT ON IMO. Just remember the resistance of ur coil is about the amount (length) and diameter (gauge) of wire it took to make said coil. If ur going to use cotton u should wrap ur coil on a drill bit that way it's easier to thread it thru. Maybe try some 2 mil silica to start out. U can simply wrap ur coils around the silica attach/adjust/add juice to atty and ur vaping.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread