First DIY - Having issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwizard000

Jul 13, 2014
Las Vegas
So I want to get into DIY juice. I used an online calculator to get a formula for a 60vg 40pg mix at 6mg nic strength.

I added 10% Dragon fruit flavor and 5% raspberry flavor. Got them from Mt. Baker Vapor.

The PG and VG are from Essential Depot, bought them on good reviews from Amazon. USP Food Grade. (it is "Kosher"... I am not sure how VG and PG could be "unKosher" or if that makes any difference...)

The Nicotine is 36mg 50\50 from Vapor Shots

I mixed it up, let it sit for a while and tried it. It tastes pretty good, makes good vapor, pretty much exactly what I want.

Only problem is that as soon as I start using it it begins to produce a black goo that quickly overpowers my RBA. It tastes like burning crap and it immediately gunk's up my coils after only a few hits. It turns into a black fluid that I have never seen before. I have seen juice oxidize and turn a rust color but this is the first time I have seen it turn black.

The coils are built fine, Rebuilt and vaped some free masons and no problems. Then tried my juice again and same problem. I am assuming that it is an issue with something I am putting in the juice.

I am afraid to keep vaping it because A - I don't know what the black stuff is and B - I can't keep rebuilding coils every 10 hits.

Any suggestions on how I might troubleshoot and resolve this issue would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

-RW

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
What setup are you using? It may be that you're running it too hot or the juice is too thick and you're having wicking problems and in turn burning your wick/juice. I've found that I have to wick appropriately for the VG/PG ratio or I have wicking problems, thin juice = flooding or thick juice = dry hit/burning.
...something to think about, and good luck!

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
The dragonfruit flavor is pretty sweet. I think I will mix up some just plain 60\40 with no nicotine and no flavor and see if that produces the black gunk. If it does not then I will add the nicotine, and if that still doesn't make the gunk then it is probably the dragon fruit flavor and I will try another.

THIS^^^ Narrow it down to nic base or flavor. I can't imagine it being the PG or VG, but I suppose you are about to find out for sure...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Any suggestions on how I might troubleshoot and resolve this issue would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hard to say.

But 3 Questions I would ask.

1) Did you Dilute the Pure VG with Anything? Water, PG, PGA?

2) Do your Coils "Gunk Up" when you use the Same mg and PG:VG Ratios but another Flavor besides that Dragon Fruit and Raspberry?

3) Have you Tried making Unflavored in the Same mg and PG:VG Ratios? Does that Gunk Up your Coils Also?

A quickly "Gunking" coil can be Caused by Excessive use of Sweeteners. But is can Also be caused by Poor Wicking do the the e-Liquid being Too Think.

Last edited:

westhc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
I wonder if it is a bad batch of MBV dragon fruit flavoring? I have used the MBV flavoring at 20% in a 65pg/35vg base with no issues . Compared it to TFA dragon fruit that was mixed at 15% in the same base. There was a difference in the taste of the 2 flavors as well as each needing different %s. The TFA was sweeter and stronger. I found that, for my taste, the 2 flavors mixed 50/50 (already mixed in the base) was quite a bit better than either mixed alone. I don't use dragon fruit a lot but will use a blend of the 2 in the future.

Today I am trying the same thing with grape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread