First go at DIY juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
I started off my road into DIY with LorAnn's 10 pack your choice flavor Sampler from Amazon, it was only $12.99 and gave me plenty of different flavors to sample. Over the weekend I wiped up Several different single flavor juices to see how they would each taste at different flavor percentages. I started with
Strawberry
Mango
Watermelon

I vaped these Fresh with no steep time. The Strawberry was WAY too overpowering (I made a 10mL batch at 70/30 with 15% flavoring), it was very Medicinal tasting with a not so good finish. Did not like it much.
The Mango was amazing, but the After taste was were I got most the flavor (same ratio's only used 20% Flavoring). Was quite satisfied with this!
The Watermelon was also Amazing! Quite tasty, very smooth and Great Finish.
So after sampling these I threw them in my crock pot and steeped them on High (which gets upto 190 Degrees!!) for 1 1/2 hours. After steeping the Mango was SPECTACULAR! Full mango flavor from beginning to End! It was almost too much! Not overly sweet, no funky after taste! It was Great!
The Watermelon was much the same results as the Mango! Brought out so much more flavor it was incredible! Very satisfied and Love the results from Steeping so Far.
The Strawberry I didn't try after Steeping as I am a little turned off with its flavor. I need to give it a shot on its own though and see!

After these single Flavors, we mixed up a couple of combo flavors. The first being Blueberry Cheesecake. This was pretty good. Did 5% Blueberry 10% Cheesecake which gave it a slight Blueberry finish but mainly it tastes like Cheesecake. Put it in a Cupboard and Steeped it in there for about 12 hours. It didn't seem to change in Flavor profile at All! So my Woman decided she wanted to try it with the Strawberry! So she literally put a few drops of the Strawberry on 1 coil of her Tugboat clone Dripper and a few drops of the Blueberry Cheesecake on the other coil! It was actually Quite good! I wasn't sure how that would turn out, but it actually worked!

Then my woman tried her hand at a combo juice. She mixed up coffee, pecan & caramel at 10%, 5% & 5%, respectively. This is going down the Drain LOL, it tasted like Burnt coffee! It was pretty bad. So we threw it in the cupboard to see if the flavors will come together, but I am doubtful!

Then we made a Strawberry Orange Cream ( 5% & 10%), a Strawberry Blueberry Bavarian Cream ( 3%, 8% & 10%) and a Coffee Bavarian Cream (3% & 10%)

The Coffee Bavarian Cream is Amazing! Tastes like a rich, dark (strong) coffee with a splash of Creamer! It is quite nice! The other Two haven't been tried yet as they are in the cupboard steeping!

But for my first go at DIY juice I am quite pleased with my results! The only issue I seem to be having is with the Juice itself, nothing to do with the flavoring as that is trial and error, but with how the juice is vaping. It seems to be very *wet*. It feels like I have some of the juice coming into my mouth while i am vaping on it or maybe the juice isn't atomizing enough. Not sure if I actually am getting any in my mouth or if that's just how it feels. It makes me wonder if its the OILS that are in the LorAnn flavorings? Or if I am doing something wrong with my mixes? I am using the steam-engine.org calculator and all of my mixes are 70/30 (70 VG and 30 PG) which was what I was buying from my local store who mixes his own juices. I don't think he uses LorAnn's Flavorings but have not asked.

Anyone else experience this "wet" vaping when using LorAnn's Flavorings?

Oh yeah I am using a Sigelei 100W box mod with a Flawless Tugboat clone dripper at 65W @ .3ohm and a Sigelei 50W box mod at anywhere between 35W & 38W @ .3ohm with a (very crappy Chinese made plastic) Tugboat clone. Both drippers & atomizers provide the same "wet" vaping.

Thanks for any feedback, suggestions, hints, tips & tricks!

Reactions: Abg Ngah

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
Thanks willie, appreciate the advice! I need to do a bit more research into flavor percentages when using a dripper, for sure! We have a Kanger subtank mini but my woman likes to keep that full of Unicorn vomit as that is her ultimate fav right now! We just ordered 8oz from Flavor West of it so we can make a Huge batch for her!

On to do more research...

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I've never used Loranns but it sounds like some of the issues you're having may be due to using to high of a flavor percentage. I mainly use TPA and never found the need to go over 10% with any flavoring but I don't like my mixes over the top either.

I've also not had much luck with single flavor mixes, some of them or decent but when I mix the same flavoring along with something else it seems to bring out the flavor more. For instance I get more strawberry at 5% in some of my mixes than I do when mixed alone at 10%.

I would overall recommend starting with less, it's easier to add a little at a time than take away and more often than not you'll likely find you don't need as much flavoring as you might have otherwise thought.

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
Great! thanks for the advice! And we started our Flavor percentages at 15 - 20% because that was what we were reading what some people make their juices at. So we figured that to be a good starting point then go up or down with percentages depending on what we liked. But yes, I think these next batches are going to be tops at 10%.
We used single flavors so we could get the profile of what each flavor was, versus having it "cut" with other flavors. We wanted to see what each flavor alone had, then gauge how much would be required in subsequent batches. So thanks for the advice! And also, one straight flavor gets kinda boring, so it'll be fun to start mixing more of our flavors around!!

Appreciate the feedback!

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
Last night I pulled out a Strawberry Orange cream I made 2 days ago and had in a cupboard to steep.
It was HORRIBLE. couldn't even Vape it. It was all Orange! No Cream, No Strawberry, just Orange with a Blast of "medicine" in the face! It was Gross! Very, very disappointed with this one!

I winded up tweaking it a bit before I steeped it and I think I over did it! Should have just let it be and see how it turned out!

I was hoping for a more "creamy" blend from this one, but missed by a mile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread