First Mod Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overlord

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Stony Plain, AB
So I finally did it. My first attempt at a mod and its working great!

My plan was to build a mod completely from local bought items. Reason being was I wanted to have the ability to run out and pick up a part if necessary rather than having to order online. batteries included.

Granted this mod did cost apx $60, most of it was getting good quality 2450 mAH NiMH AA batteries since lithium batteries can't be bought locally for some reason.

I won't bother posting pics cause its really no different than other box mods but I can relate to what other said that you don't stop with just 1. Next will be finding a flashlight mod :)

So im running 3.6 volts right now using 3 AA batteries. Performing just like my 510 batteries did day 1. This is great!!!!

I got another battery box cause next is a 5v passthrough. :cool:

nmewarlok

Sep 10, 2009
Andalusia, AL
I , also like you, decided to build a nico stick type battery box for my 801 using commonly available local parts (ie walmart / radioshack /etc). After reading suggestions, i purchased the 4 AA batterybox with the switch already in the box from RS, and a 4 pack of 2150 mah NIMH batteries from Walmart, stole the sleeve and connector from an already dead battery, removed the atomizer connector , cleaned out the plastic parts from it, removed everything in the shell so it was nice and empty with the exception of the connector. Took the battery box, removed the last battery prongs (the one far away from the switch), which happened to have the positive side with just one plate attached, which dropped perfectly into battery slot 3, ran the wires down the old battery tube, which i drilled a hole into slot 4 for, and out the end and soldered them to the connector. I took my atomizer, screwed it carefully into the connector, and then gently wiggled it back into the shell. Took a hot glue gun, filled slot 4 with hot glue to keep everything nice and tight and in one place, popped 3 batteries into it, for a total of 3.6V. Ive been vaping for about 5 hours straight now, about a 3 puffs every 5 mins on average, and production has been just as good as a freshly charged regular battery, and seems to have lasted longer for me. For grins, to test those in a pinch moments, you can pop regular AA batteries in this and it still works beautifully. Total cost : around 15 dollars. (3 for the battery case and 12 for a pack of 4 NIMH AA batteries). I already have 2 chargers, so i suppose if you put in a worse case sceneriao you might spend 30 dollars on this if you picked up a pack of 4 batts and charger together. I like the fact if in a pinch i could just pick up a pack of regular batteries to tie me over until i had some charged ones, OR i could forego this pack entirely if i wanted to use a regular battery (just unscrew the atomizer and screw a regular battery into it) or vise versa (regular battery dies? no problem, pull out this and screw things together and keep on vaping!)

xogul

Sep 8, 2009
Portugal, EU
Some pictures would be nice as this is the first time I read someone using standard NIMH AA batteries.
I made that question in this forum (the use of NiMh) and the answer was 'no, you need 3,6 or 3,7 volts for the atomizer to work'. And they were right of course, but when I asked I was thinking in all the rechargeable AA batteries I have at home and started to think of a way to use it in vaping. It is possible then.
No pictures, it didn't happen :D

bigozone

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Kentucky
i just finished my first 2 mods (both magum flashlight mods, one with a 5V regulator).

since i don't have my batteries in yet, i've been using the 3 AAA battery arrangement that came with the flashlight. i replaced the cells with duracell ultras and after 24 hrs they are weakening.

i've got NiMH cells charging and will report back with battery life, smoke production, ect.

i can't wait for my two 3v cells and charger to arrive.

vendo

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
My first mod was a 4 x AA box with 3 NiMH in while I waited for my order from DX.
I works quite well but obviously it's quite heavy compared to a 2 x AA with one 14500 but allowed me to try it out for next to nothing.
Total cost was less than £3 for the box and RCA connectors (thanks Warp) as, like most people, I already had charger and NiMH batterys to hand

jacko

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
NW Tennessee
My first mod was a 4 x AA box with 3 NiMH in while I waited for my order from DX.
I works quite well but obviously it's quite heavy compared to a 2 x AA with one 14500 but allowed me to try it out for next to nothing.
Total cost was less than £3 for the box and RCA connectors (thanks Warp) as, like most people, I already had charger and NiMH batterys to hand

That sounds Great! I guess I need to try one of these, since I am wanting some locally obtainable batteries...
Good job.

bigozone

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Kentucky
well my magnum powered by 3 alkaline batteries was almost compairable to my 5v usb passthru, but when i replaced the duracells with NiMH rechargeables the effect left much to be desired. i can't even put up with the poor vapor production long enough to give an accurate battery life per charge.

i'm just going to wait for my cr2s to arrive.

edit: if you are going to use NiMH rechargeables, i believe 4 cells are minimum for a good experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread