jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Hello All,

So I have only been vaping for a few months. I started out with a Halo Triton system but rapidly found out that there were better options, so I moved onto an iTaste VTR (which I love). Well me being an Engineer, I love to tinker with stuff, so I figured it might be fun to build my own setups. I just received an HCigar Omega Clone from eBay. I went with the Omega as it seemed like a pretty easy platform to learn on, and I like how it has adjustable airflow.

So I got my 28ga. Kanthal and cotton all set...I started with a 9/8 (I think?) coil around a #0 Phillips head screwdriver, which came out to roughly 1.2 Ohms. I installed the coil into the Omega, fired it up on my Magneto mech mod, and voila! The coil was glowing from the inside out! "This is great" I thought, so I put the cotton in, loaded up some ejuice, and had my first RDA vape...I must say, it was VERY enjoyable!!

So fast forward about an hour. I decided to get crazy, so I installed a SECOND coil into the Omega which halved the resistance down to 0.6 Ohms. "Whoa", I thought....I am about to sub-ohm for the first time!! So I loaded it onto my Magneto, dry-fired it (no cotton installed, obv..), and it fired no problem!! So I loaded up the cotton, applied ejuice, and had my first sub-ohm vape...

Now here's where my Newb-question comes in.....I pretty quickly realized that the vape was WAAAY too hot for my tastes, so I took the second coil out and am sticking with the one coil @ 1.2 Ohms for the time being.. 3.7 volts from the battery at 0.6 Ohms gives you a 23 watt output...seems a bit high, no?

So, My newb question is: Why do you want the airholes RIGHT NEXT to the coils?! It just seems like that's going to do nothing but give you hot air to breathe in. In every RDA video I watched on youtube, they ALWAYS say to put the coil next to the airhole. it seems like if the airhole was further away from the coil, it might cool off the vape a bit....Or does this "stifle"the airflow to the coil?

I just don't know if "Sub-Ohming" is for me. It seems like the vape is waaaay too hot....am I doing something wrong here?

Other than that, the Omega clone seems to be a great RDA...I also have a Trident 2 on the way, so it'll be interesting to comare the two.....just thought I'd share my experiences....

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Putting the coils next to the airholes give a lot of airflow for the vapor.Moving the airholes away will give you such a harsh hit,it tends to choke you,like a dry hit on silica wick.Hot vape at .6 I do not know,i vape all of my RDA/RTA's at .5 and this is a warm vape yes,which I like but hot,it's never hot for me anyway.

TrentTC

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Tacoma, WA
You're getting a hot vape because you don't have enough airflow most likely. At .6 ohms I would say your airholes should be at least 1/16". Having the airholes lined up with your coils actually cools the vape. You are pulling cool air that way across your coil and that is mixing with the hot vapor. Moving the airholes away from the coil will increase throat hit and the vape will be even warmer.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Putting the coils next to the airholes give a lot of airflow for the vapor.Moving the airholes away will give you such a harsh hit,it tends to choke you,like a dry hit on silica wick.Hot vape at .6 I do not know,i vape all of my RDA/RTA's at .5 and this is a warm vape yes,which I like but hot,it's never hot for me anyway.

You're getting a hot vape because you don't have enough airflow most likely. At .6 ohms I would say your airholes should be at least 1/16". Having the airholes lined up with your coils actually cools the vape. You are pulling cool air that way across your coil and that is mixing with the hot vapor. Moving the airholes away from the coil will increase throat hit and the vape will be even warmer.
Gotcha, thanks for the info! I guess maybe I just have to get used to it? Not sure....but I do really like the Omega thus far! The flavor is absolutely fantastic!

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA

Assuming his is like most Omega's/clones, airflow certainly shouldnt be a problem, when the airflow control is completely open, it has dual ~3mm holes, making it basically only good for lung-hits. I close my airflow by nearly half in mine.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Assuming his is like most Omega's/clones, airflow certainly shouldnt be a problem, when the airflow control is completely open, it has dual ~3mm holes, making it basically only good for lung-hits. I close my airflow by nearly half in mine.

Yeah, the air holes on the Omega are pretty big. I think I just need to experiment a bit to see what works best for me. Right now I have just the 1 air hole open near the coil and it seems to be working well. The other air hole is closed off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread