First Time DIY Input Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

profector

Verified Member
My supplies are coming tomorrow and I'm anxious to get mixing. I'm look for feedback on the solution below. The flavoring is from OneOnOneFlavors.com. The nic is from NudeNicotine.com, and the vg is from EssentialDepot.com My understanding is the grain alcohol is supposed to help give the throat hit, the saline is suppose to help bring out the flavor, and the water is just there to thin out the mix.

I'm trying to keep the PG low. There's probably a bit of PG in the flavoring, but I don't know for sure.

Also the plan is to quick steep the mix by warming the solution for 5 minutes and giving it a few good shakes, then repeat the warm and shake thing two more times.

Comments, Suggestions, Feedback?

VG Nic 100 mg/ml 16%
VG 52%
PGA 2%
Water 9%
Saline 9%
Monster Flavoring 12%

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

white88stag

Aug 16, 2013
Houston, TX
My supplies are coming tomorrow and I'm anxious to get mixing. I'm look for feedback on the solution below. The flavoring is from OneOnOneFlavors.com. The nic is from NudeNicotine.com, and the vg is from EssentialDepot.com My understanding is the grain alcohol is supposed to help give the throat hit, the saline is suppose to help bring out the flavor, and the water is just there to thin out the mix.

I'm trying to keep the PG low. There's probably a bit of PG in the flavoring, but I don't know for sure.

Also the plan is to quick steep the mix by warming the solution for 5 minutes and giving it a few good shakes, then repeat the warm and shake thing two more times.

Comments, Suggestions, Feedback?

VG Nic 100 mg/ml 16%
VG 52%
PGA 2%
Water 9%
Saline 9%
Monster Flavoring 12%

View attachment 270394

I would go with something more simple for starters. I would nix the saline and water to start with. Then you can test and apply any additional pieces down the road. This way you can also become more familiar with your base products.

Most importantly, always adopt safe practice methods. Good luck !

white88stag

Aug 16, 2013
Houston, TX
If I were to drop the saline and water that would put me at 86% VG. Would the be thin enough to climb up the wick on a ce4? I also have a bottom fed unitank but I would like to continue to use either type

VG Nic 100 mg/ml 16%
VG 70%
PGA 2%
Monster Flavoring 12%

Hey Profector,

I would try avoiding ce4 tanks with high VG ratios. I literally threw some in a tank last night and I'm only able to vape it one pull every 30 min due to the viscosity. At least for testing, I would go with the unitank. Also.. Maybe raise the flavor ratio (based on the recommended percentage) as VG takes a bit more flavoring to do the trick.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Four suggestions I would make to Anyone starting out with DIY.

1) Keep it Simple. I would master Single Flavored mixes first before moving on to Complex, Multi-Flavored Mixes.

2) Don't go for "Quick" steeping methods at first. Just put your mix in a Cool, Dark Place for at least 3 or 4 Days before you try it.

3) Don't forget about using a Sweetener. Most Flavoring are just Flavor. And have no Sweetness to them. In Fact, Many Flavorings can taste Bitter without using a Sweetener.

4) The Most Important. KEEP DETAILED AND ACCURATE RECORDS OF EVERYTHING YOU ADD AND DO.

profector

Verified Member
Make's since. I'll try to hold off fora few days and let it steep on it's own. Do you know if one on one's flavoring needs a sweetener? If so, whats a good place to get one? Would the retail stores, like Walmart, have it?

Four suggestions I would make to Anyone starting out with DIY.

1) Keep it Simple. I would master Single Flavored mixes first before moving on to Complex, Multi-Flavored Mixes.

2) Don't go for "Quick" steeping methods at first. Just put your mix in a Cool, Dark Place for at least 3 or 4 Days before you try it.

3) Don't forget about using a Sweetener. Most Flavoring are just Flavor. And have no Sweetness to them. In Fact, Many Flavorings can taste Bitter without using a Sweetener.

4) The Most Important. KEEP DETAILED AND ACCURATE RECORDS OF EVERYTHING YOU ADD AND DO.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Make's since. I'll try to hold off fora few days and let it steep on it's own. Do you know if one on one's flavoring needs a sweetener? If so, whats a good place to get one? Would the retail stores, like Walmart, have it?

Don't use Sweeteners found in most Stores. The contain Fillers and Buffers. Look for Sweeteners like Ethyl Maltol (Cotton Candy Flavoring) or Pure Sucralose where you buy your DIY Supplies.

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
contrary to many suggestions here I'll say try your juice right after you mix (depending on the flavoring brands you probably won't like it that much) and then let it steep it is a great thing to really know the difference between the steeped and the non steeped, it will give you a better understanding of flavor changes as well as in the future once you try a fresh mix even if you don't like it that much you will know if it will age great or not.
personally the vaping zones and some hangsens don't need much steeping to be good

profector

Verified Member
Most everything came in the mail today. Funny thing is the VG I ordered days before everything else won't be here till tomorrow. I emailed OneOnOne.com and they said most of their flavors don't need a sweetener. I'll try it without the sweetener since I didn't order it. If it doesn't taste good I'll get some and add it.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Most everything came in the mail today. Funny thing is the VG I ordered days before everything else won't be here till tomorrow. I emailed OneOnOne.com and they said most of their flavors don't need a sweetener. I'll try it without the sweetener since I didn't order it. If it doesn't taste good I'll get some and add it.

Just like some people Don't like Sugar in their Coffee, many Don't like much or any Sweetener in their DIY mixes.

It's all personal taste. Me, I couldn't think of doing a Fruit or Candy Mix without Sucralose.

Also, many who Vape at higher Nicotine Levels take the edge off the Nicotine by using a Sweetener. For you at 16mg, that isn't going to be so much of an issue.

But this is kinda the Adventure of DIY. Finding what you like in what Proportions. And that is why keeping Detailed and Accurate Measurements is so Important.

profector

Verified Member
I'm using the eJuice Me Up app to save my formulas and bought 1, 5 and, 10ml syringes, needles, and few plastic test tubes from nudenicotine.com to measure, plus the glass dropper I already had. Hopefully the VG is there tonight when I get home. I want to make up a small batch to steep over the weekend.

Did anyone ever mention the minimum amount to dilute the VG to have a decent viscosity or is this another one of those trial and error things? The 100mg/ml VG that I got out the mail was about like syrup, granted is was about 60° F outside too.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
If your going to use a high VG content you will need some water. Maybe 1 - 2%. Also it's OK to vape it right after mixing. Although some steeping is required you will notice some flavor right off the bat. But don't jump to the conclusion that mor or less flavor is needed until you go back to it a few days to a week later. If you get dry hits with 1 - 2% water then add more in 1% increments until the juice flows consistantly.

Vap3Stone

Nov 6, 2013
Temecula, CA
Just finished my first mix and the flavor wasn't as strong as I wanted but I'll let it steep and see how effective it is. also I did 9mg of nicotine and I have a 9mg juice (alpha) from the shop and mine seemed more strong. and with the nicotine i did an exact measurement. So my advice, being new to this as well, is to many start just under what your normally used to and see how it is. But good luck, and hope you have as much fun as I just had lol

Harlen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Charlotte Nc
Hey Profector,

I would try avoiding ce4 tanks with high VG ratios. I literally threw some in a tank last night and I'm only able to vape it one pull every 30 min due to the viscosity. At least for testing, I would go with the unitank. Also.. Maybe raise the flavor ratio (based on the recommended percentage) as VG takes a bit more flavoring to do the trick.

I don't have that problem but I do add 3% distill water

white88stag

Aug 16, 2013
Houston, TX
I don't know if I need to add a lot of detail about my diy, but does anyone know why a mix would taste peppery? I've just been trying to mix simple things, one flavor, but they all taste aweful even after steeping.

Actually sounds like bad nicotine. Where did you buy from? What's the deets on the situation? Tank, PV, flavors, ratio etcetc..

pnut599

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Michigan, USA
I knew I wrote a terrible question. I was writing from my tablet and just should have waited till I got home. Sorry about that.

Ok, so I have about 25 Lorann's and 25 FA. I also have a bottle of EM and Sulcrose for sweetener. I have 2 bottles of 60 mg nicotine from Wizard Labs. One 100% VG and another 100% PG. (Don't ask, I wasn't sure what to order at the time, but have only used 100% VG so far :) I also have a bottle of PG from Wizard Labs and a bottle of USP VG from Amazon.

I was mixing at 50/50/12mg pretty simple recipes using different calculators. For example:
Grape Bubblegum 5mL
Nicotine 20%
PG 35%
VG 30%
FA Bubble Gum 5%
LA Grape 10%

So, I mixed and tasted. It wasn't completely unvapable, but compared to store bought juice it was awful. Just harsh peppery gunk. Let it sit for a week and a month. Still the same peppery taste.

Here is an interesting little factoid. I have grape from LA and FA. The LA is very dark and syrupy looking. The FA is pretty much clear. I don't know if that makes a difference, but this isn't the only recipe I've tried mixing.

I have been recently getting my juice from Mr. E Liquid and it's so smooth, almost creamy in a way. Even the fruit flavors. I just can't figure out what is making them like that. Is it sweetener, vanilla, some type of cream or none of the above?

I went full force into mixing and have gotten very discouraged. I did make one pretty good juice out of the recipes. Beetlejuice I was proud of, but still nowhere near as good as store bought.

I drip on a 510 SR atty.

Hopefully this helps you help me :) Thanks!!!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I was mixing at 50/50/12mg pretty simple recipes using different calculators. For example:
Grape Bubblegum 5mL
Nicotine 20%
PG 35%
VG 30%
FA Bubble Gum 5%
LA Grape 10%

So, I mixed and tasted. It wasn't completely unvapable, but compared to store bought juice it was awful. Just harsh peppery gunk. Let it sit for a week and a month. Still the same peppery taste.

The Peppery taste could be your Nicotine Base. But I think it is more from not using any Sweetener.

You have to remember that Most of the flavorings that people use to make DIY are just that Flavors with no inherent Sweetness.

If you were making Candy or Frosting with those flavors in your mix and you gave it to someone to try, I bet that the First words out of their mouth would be... "Needs More Sugar!".

---

Before you do anymore mixing or start Tweaking Recipes though, I would do one thing that I should have mentioned earlier.

And that is to test your Nicotine Base for Flavor.

Dilute a Small amount of Nicotine Base down to your desired vaping level of 12mg using your PG and VG Without adding any flavoring. Then try vaping it.

It should be Relatively Taste Free. If it is, then the problem in in your Mix Proportions. Or the Lack of Sweetener.

If it taste Harsh or Very Peppery, then the issue is your Nicotine Base. Or in your PG. Or in Your VG.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is a great tip. Thanks so much. I have a renewed interested in trying again :)

You'll get it down.

It just takes Practice, Patience and a certain amount of Trial & Error.

Test your Nicotine Base, get some Ethyl Maltol (Cotton Candy Flavoring), some Pure Sucralose and keep Detailed and Accurate Records and you'll do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread