First Time E-Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um that's a little hard for me to say, given this is your first eliquid. I'm sure you'll find folks chiming in with vendors they love or hate (maybe) but I'd say that's a pretty personal decision, and weighing in the cost matters too.

If you like it, maybe you just stumbled on to a great juice for you first try. If you want to branch out there are tons of B&M establishments (some of whom may or may not have juice tasting bars where you can try a lot of juices for a nominal fee, and see how you like them) and various online vendors will offer sample packs of juices to try in smaller quantities. I would do both if you can. There are also tons of well liked budget and less budget ECF approved juice vendors, so you may want to check out that area of the site.

Anna

Kati

Aug 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Seemingly like everything else in the vaping world which e-juice to use is extremely complicated. When the salesman presented to me the store's list of e-juice I couldn't believe the number of choices. In the end I simply asked for a recommendation that wasn't sickeningly sweet. He suggested Cabin Tobacco, which I believe is variety rather than a brand. When I mentioned it in my initial post I assumed CT was common knowledge. Wrong again! In just six days I have learned that the list he showed me is a tiny fraction of the possibilities. To catalog the choices would likely require a large volume rather than a single sheet of paper. I suppose in the end it's a matter of trial and error. I'm not too keen on the latter.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
it's not complicated, maybe at first a bit overwhelming, a learning curve
but vaping is all about personal preference
now as you say this is your first ejuice, is there are reason you are starting at 6mg? Typically for someone trying to quit smoking I'd recommend at least 18mg (if not more depending on their smoking habit) but if the 6mg works that's great, if however you find yourself still have nic fits after about 6 puffs, then up your nic strength...if it starts tasting peppery then lower your nic strength
now as for a juice, again that's all personal preference....are you wanting it to be more tobacco flavored, is there a brand that you smoked that you'd want to replicate that taste? or is there a fruit, drink, desert, ect that you like? We can try to recommend juices for you, but again what one person thinks is good another does not so it's all subjective....

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    @Kati , I did a quick search for CT and didn't come up with anything except Juice Cabin brand tobacco. This lead me to believe CT might be a house flavor that the vape shop is mixing on their own. This is not to say it isn't any good, it probably is.

Some of the better known tobaccos here on ECF include those from Heather's Heavenly Vapes, Halo, and one of my personal favorites, Kalamazoo Vapor Shop. These vendors produce more of the straight forward and not overly sweet tobaccos.

This will also depend on your style of vaping and how much PG vs VG you like in your juice; throat hit vs cloud production.

Last edited:

Kati

Aug 27, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I should have looked more closely at the bottle before writing. The brand name on the bottle is Blue Ox. Regarding its quality or lack thereof, at the moment I don't have a point of comparison. This is my first E-juice. I will have to try a couple of others before having any idea of what is good and what isn't.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I should have looked more closely at the bottle before writing. The brand name on the bottle is Blue Ox. Regarding its quality or lack thereof, at the moment I don't have a point of comparison. This is my first E-juice. I will have to try a couple of others before having any idea of what is good and what isn't.

Ejuices fall into several categories. Tobaccos, Candy flavors, Dessert flavors, and assorted food and drink flavors.

How to Choose the Right E-Liquid – A New Vaper’s Guide

Tips on How to Pick an E-liquid Right for You - Mt Baker Vapor

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Don't be afraid to experiment. A LOT of people think they "need" a tobacco flavor when starting out, but end up finding they prefer fruity, candy, or desert flavored liquids. The flavors and combinations are endless.

This
    ^^^^

Buy smaller 10ml bottles as you are learning what you like. Search for "favorite ejuice" and "favorite flavors" and see what people like. There's hundreds of posts in the forums you'll find on ECF and most ECF'ers describe the juices pretty accurately.

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    also always look to sales, samplers, new customer deals...you can usually find some really good deals and is a cheap way to figure out what you do or don't like....
    or my method :lol: I bought a ton of new/used juice from members here on ECF Member Classifieds that way I could get a variety for pretty cheap and start figuring out what was good or not (though I also do reviews so this is very helpful to save on my budget) *if interested in ecf classifieds you must become verified How To Become A Verified Member*
    also right now a lot of retailers are doing labor day sales so it's a good time to stock up

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Most beginners seem to assume a tobacco flavor is the way to go, as did I. I walked out of my first vape shop (3+years ago) with a tobacco flavor and a coffee flavor. The coffee was good the tobacco just tasted like chemicals to me. Other tobaccos I've tried taste like a newly opened pack of cigs smells. The only tobacco flavor I've actually enjoyed didn't taste like tobacco to me at all yet it's a very enjoyable smoking-ish flavor.

However it only took me a few days to realize that vapor doesn't have to taste nasty to be effective. These days I make my own juice (DIY). Mixed up three 120ml batches yesterday. A straight Apple flavor that has already made my favorites list. A pretty good 'Old Tyme Rootbeer' flavor and some Sweet Southern Tea flavor.

Don't be afraid to experiment with small sample size bottles of juice.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Before I started DIY juice, I used to love mtbakervapor.com for good prices (especially their in house made stuff) for trying new juices.

My favorite flavors that I have used include:
    Wintergreen
    Bubblegum
    Lemonade
    Mandarin Orange
    Strawberry Menthol
    Cinnamon Roll

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I chose Cabin Tobacco (6mg) as my first e-juice. Did I choose wisely or would another e-juice (I'm still trying to get used to vocabulary.) have been a better starting place?
    I also choose a tobacco vape when I first started. It's a good category to begin with for many reasons. If you have a little time, you might like to read about the DIY flavor information of tobaccos in general:
    Flavorah Tobaccos Part 1 Flavorah Tobaccos part 1
    Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only
    And if you Googled : "Workgroup Tobacco Reviews : CloudCollective (see PRO TIPS)" you may find some more information.
    Just a word of caution about DIY, for the first six months of vaping, most folks are getting their vaping legs (finding the best set up for them and getting to know the type of flavors they enjoy most). Might want to wait the 6 months or so before mixing and only then, until you feel you are ready. If your vape equipment is fairly stable and you have known/predictable responses to several e-liquids flavors with this equipment, your chances of DIY mixing success will be greater. DIY tends to work best and reward those who wait patiently and read everything before they attempt full DIY.

Kati

Aug 27, 2018
    Wisconsin
    With the purchase a new tank came the purchase of another e-juice recommended by the clerk who sold and installed the new tank. Brand name Odin by BW. High VG (70% VG) 6mg. If I remember correctly it is a mixture of blackberry and tobacco. It is very pleasant, much more flavorful than the Cabin Tobacco I mentioned earlier. It is more complex with layers of flavor.

I'm not very clear on what the 70% VG means and how it effects the taste and cloud.

Today is my 7th day of vaping anniversary. Still early days. More to learn and more to experience. It's like entering a strange, new world.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2015
    Sandbox, USSA
    With the purchase a new tank came the purchase of another e-juice recommended by the clerk who sold and installed the new tank. Brand name Odin by BW. High VG (70% VG) 6mg. If I remember correctly it is a mixture of blackberry and tobacco. It is very pleasant, much more flavorful than the Cabin Tobacco I mentioned earlier. It is more complex with layers of flavor.

I'm not very clear on what the 70% VG means and how it effects the taste and cloud.

Today is my 7th day of vaping anniversary. Still early days. More to learn and more to experience. It's like entering a strange, new world.
    Greetings Kati,
    Welcome to ECF and the world of vaping. I suggest that you try dessert and fruit flavors
    Also try to find enticing flavors as well as equipment to buy from online vendors as you're likely
    to save a lot of money online vs B&M's (brick and mortar shops).

VG is vegetable glycerin. PG is Propylene Glycol. Both are the carriers for nicotine and flavors, together they make up your "juice".
    VG tends to evaporate with thick sweet clouds, PG carries more flavor

Kudos and Happy "Anniversary"... Don't give up.
    Vape On!
    Hazy

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Brand name Odin by BW. High VG (70% VG) 6mg. If I remember correctly it is a mixture of blackberry and tobacco. It is very pleasant, much more flavorful than the Cabin Tobacco I mentioned earlier.
    Reminds me of another great vendor online; Good Life Vapor. They have a great blackberry tobacco with a hint of brandy called Newminster No. 23. Good Life Vapor has some really good tobaccos and tobacco blends like El Kamino, English Bulldog, High Five. I'd buy any of those again.

For the dessert lovers, you can't beat their Deadly Sin. Maybe venture into fruit breakfast with Blueberry Morning or Cozmic Berries (one of the reasons I couldn't wait to start making my own juice). They have a decent sample pack, as well. :)

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    ejuice is composed of 4 ingredients of course all of which are completely optional
    1. Nicotine
    2. PG (Propylene Glycol)
    3. VG (Vegetable Glycerin)
    4. Flavoring (food grade flavorings that are used in baked goods and candies)

Higher levels of pg tend to have more of a throat hit (harshness) and is said to carry flavor better (I don't really agree but to each their own thought)
    Higher levels of vg tend to be thicker and less throat hit and is said to create more plume (cloud) (I don't really agree there either as I've had some high pg that made some nice clouds but again to each their own thought but typically this is the case)
    so there again it's all personal preference if you want something with more of a kick to it get higher pg, if you want something less of a kick and maybe more plume (cloud) then get higher vg
    and a side note pg and vg are used in just about everything from medications to shampoos to soaps and lotions even in food

and I second shopping on line....you will find better deals especial on juice and a wider variety

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Hey Kati. As a new vaper myself I fully understand where you are coming from. The selection of e-juice can be overwhelming. I spent a day traveling to about half dozen different local stores – all of them had at least 150 to 300 different juices to choose from, and no 2 stores carried the same brands! That’s a boat load of juice!! Fortunately for me, many local stores still allow sampling. Will assume that is not the case with you? Nothing wrong with choosing a tobacco flavour, that was also my first e-juice. But try and keep an open mind to other flavours. At first I thought vaping something like Chocolate & Banana bread to be absolutely bizarre, and most likely gave that “are you serious” look to the sales clerk when recommended. But now I can’t put the stuff down!

Ask if your local store can provide small 10ml samples. Not all do (at least here in Toronto) but doesn’t hurt to inquire. Don’t be scared to experiment – sometimes you’ll come out with an awesome flavour and sometimes you may not. But that mediocre flavour may grow on ya once your pallet becomes accustomed. Regardless, the best e-liquid is the one you enjoy the most. AND….have fun!

Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread