First time poster (hello) and in need of some guidance re DIY nic salts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf Jarl

Jun 14, 2020
First off, hi and hope you're all doing well.

I've joined as a newb to the whole "mix your own salt nic e-juice" thing and like a lot before me it's a little confusing. I've a bottle of Honeydew flavoured 0mg/ml Pacha Mama Salts (which says it's for subohm and I've a 0.6 ohm coil in my Aspire Breeze), a 200ml bottle of 100mg Salt Nicotine PG sourced from Mixology Vape, a 5 ml graduated syringe for measuring purposes and an empty 30 ml bottle.

I also have no clear idea on what quantities I should be aiming for. I've read a ton of stuff about it from various sites and the consensus is that you treat the salts just as you would freebase. So far, so good. The problem is when I access any of the calculators I am required to input the salt nic strength and desired end result strength in mg. This is where I'm stuck. The salt nic strength I'm pretty sure is the 100mg value I mentioned earlier, but the end result strength I can only guess at, since I'm familiar with seeing that value presented as a mg/ml value.

I've been vaping 50mg/ml stuff when I can get my hands on it and hazarding a guess that this means 30 mg of nic salts needs to be in the bottle I'm preparing for a similar vaping experience as I'm used to. 9 ml of the nic salts juice to 21 ml of the flavoured no-nic Pacha Mama was the last answer I came up with, but previously it's been 7.2 ml of the nic juice to premixed flavour and on two occasions, 3.6ml. Clearly I am not understanding how these calculators are meant to be used.

So with that said, I'm reaching out in the hopes one of you might be able to straighten it out for me. I'm sure it's been explained in depth elsewhere, but when I go digging for it I just end up coming away more confused than when I started.

Thanking you in advance. Hopefully by the end of this I'll understand enough to pass it on to some other poor confused soul in the future. ;)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Izan

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Heres what I see...you have 200ml of nicotine in pg with a strength of 100mg of nicotine per ml. You have a bottle of honeydew flavored juice with no nicotine in it. The info you left out is how much of this honeydew flavored juice you have. You are wanting to add nicotine to this to get a juice with a certain strength. What strength exactly do you want this juice to be?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am also confused. The honeydew is a flavoring only, or a full flavor, no nic?

That's gonna be... Well as far as the target nic, you are going to want 30 mg as your target if you want 30 mg/ml. (it's nothing exciting that value if what I am reading is correct.)

You will input your initial nic at 100 mg/ml.

The juice will make up the remainder of the mg.ml (some calculators just let you do this if yours doesn't you can add the juice as VG and then put 9 mg for flavors and well, PG I guess.

Then, you need to decide HOW much juice you want to mix, I guess. Like how many ml. The calculator should give you that.

Maybe you can post as screenshot of the calculator and where you are getting stuck?

Anna

Okay I read what I wrote and it's confusing ME. Post a screenshot of what you have on your calculator they are all different and someone better at explaining this than me will be along.

• Agree
Reactions: Frenchfry1942

Wolf Jarl

Jun 14, 2020
Thanks Coyote628 and stols001.

I apologize for any omission or lack of clarity. I have 60ml of Pacha Mama 0mg/ml of the type one might readily vape as-is, I wish to make a 30ml mix of a 50mg/ml strength as this is what I have been buying pre-made off the shelf, as it were.

This is what I am working with.

qtWepbV.jpg

The first bottle on the left is the commercially available e-juice I have been vaping, the sixty ml bottle next to it is the no-nic version which I could vape as-is if I didn't mind the absence of nicotine. Both the 60ml bottle and its packet list PG and VG in their ingredients, just not the ratio they are present in, but if I were to take a guess I would say it is the same ratio as the empty 30ml bottle which I believe was 50/50 VG to PG. Not sure how important that is for mixing purposes, though I do prefer the throat hit to the flavour. And the bottle on the right is the Salt Nicotine I intend to mix with juice from the middle bottle to a clean 30ml bottle (not pictured) and hopefully end up with a similar strength to what was in the bottle on the left.

7QOMrd9.jpg

So if I am to understand you correctly Stols001, my calculator entries should look like this?

XPTaFNg.jpg

Forgive me if I'm being overly cautious here, the warning I get from the result gets my paranoia gland pumping with the idea I've somehow got it all wrong. 15ml is a lot higher than all but one of the results I've got so far, though it's based on my interpretation of the labeling as pictured. If I've misunderstood, please let me know.

• Agree

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, Wolf Jarl. I use a calculator at eCigVape too. Take a look at this one 'recipe' I have there, I hope it will help you understand better. The figures displayed show what I would use to make a liter of 25 mg/ml liquid from a liter of 100 mg/ml liquid. You are correct though that salt nic liquid is to be treated the same as freebase nic liquid.
    Base 100/25 -Id 35025 -By SoMDcomputerguy

eta: feel free to use the 'reCalculate' button and change any of the values to anything you want. It won't change the 'Constant Values' that I have defined.

Last edited:
    • Useful

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    if you are worried about your target nicotine being "high" well is IS high although that doesn't mean it does not work for some folks . I would not be using it in a sub0m device etc.

I think anything measuring in 'DROPS" however is not very accurate and I wouldn't use those to measure out nic.

I think the other calculator will work better for you.

Anna

Wolf Jarl

Jun 14, 2020
    Yep, the drops was simply the default setting the page chose. When I go to mix it I'll be using a graduated syringe... faster and more accurate.

The device I'm using presently is a first generation Aspire Breeze which I understand is a current limited device with no option to vary it. It's an old design but it's ticking all the boxes for me, though getting harder to replace when the battery wears out and can no longer hold a charge. Right now it has a 0.6 ohm coil in it, I've previously used the 1.2 ohm but it didn't have quite the same kick to it obviously. I was a heavy smoker prior to taking up vaping (if you call 50~60 cigarettes a day heavy) and I guess my vaping habits reflect that.

I do agree, if I ever made the leap to a mod system, that amount of nicotine would probably faceplant me and understanding the calculator a bit better now gives me a better idea on how to proceed in future. Thank you for all your help.

You mentioned another calculator, I'm not sure which one you mean.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    Ok. It looks like you have a 60ml size bottle of zero nicotine premade juice. And you want to use half of it mixed with nicotine. So, 30ml 30mg per ml equals 900mg. add 900 mg nicotine to the empty bottle and then fill the bottle on up with the zero nicotine premade juice. With the nicotine base at 100mg per ml, that is 9 ml of base.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    More or less - a fifty/fifty mix if I've read it right. What I might do is mix up a 30mg/ml strength first and give that a go, the calculators I try don't warn me at that mixture. Who knows, I might even like it.

I think a lot of your confusion comes from the fact that many juice manufacturers and calculator makers write the concentration of ejuice as "X mg" when they actually mean "X mg/ml". It's a common mistake that drives me absolutely batty.

I've been vaping 50mg/ml stuff when I can get my hands on it and hazarding a guess that this means 30 mg of nic salts needs to be in the bottle I'm preparing for a similar vaping experience as I'm used to.

Not quite. 50 mg/ml means that you want each ml to have 50 mg of nicotine. You're aiming for 30 ml of juice at 50 mg/ml, so you want each one of the 30 ml of juice to have 50 mg of salt nicotine, so you need a total of 30 ml * 50 mg/ml = 1,500 mg of nicotine. Of course, that's probably not relevant to the calculators because they tend to say 'mg' when they mean 'mg/ml'.

Fifty-fifty is the correct ratio for making 50 mg/ml juice. There are a few ways to work it out:

You have:
    100 mg/ml salt nicotine base (we call the strong nicotine we use for mixing 'nicotine base')
    60 ml flavoured juice

You want:
    30 ml of 50 mg/ml juice

Calculation #1 (Total Nicotine):
    One approach is to figure out how much nicotine (in mg) you need in your final product. You want 30 ml of 50 mg/ml juice, so that would be:

30 ml * 50 mg/ml = 1,500 mg of nicotine

Next, work out how much base you need to provide that 1,500 mg of nicotine:

1500 mg ÷ 100 mg/ml = 15 ml

So you need 15 ml of base. Since your calculation was based on 30 ml of final product, that means you need 30 ml - 15 ml = 15 ml of flavoured juice.

Calculation #2 (Ratio):
    With your numbers, this one's a bit simpler. Your base is 100 mg/ml. You want your final product to be half that strength. Therefore, your final product should be half base.

Either way, 15 ml of base and 15 ml of Honeydew will get you to 50 mg/ml.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    you might be able to straighten it out for me
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Suggest you read:
    Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
    For DL sub ohm, suggest starting out with 3mg/ml.
    TO ADD NIC TO EXISTING JUICE:
    Add 3 mls of 100mg/ml nic to 97mls of 0mg to get 3mg/ml juice. (~100mls of 3mg nic juice)
    Add .3 mls of 100mg/ml nic to 10mls of 0mg to get 3mg/ml juice. (~10mls of 3mg nic juice)
    I have used in the past this calculator:
    https://ecigvape.com/e-liquid-calculator-with-pgvg-adjusting

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    There is no 1:1 equivalency unfortunately. For one, not all nic is absorbed from vape. Also, every vape delivery system is different. You might have a pod that delivers a very small amount of vapor per puff but at a very high nicotine content. Or, you might have huge plumes of vapor per puff, which yes, will require a LOWER nicotine level.

How much did you smoke per day, what kind of vaping are you interested in, do you own a setup already and if so what is it. The more information the better but you may have to do some experimenting to find the level that satisfiers YOU.

Yes you can keep it in a cool place. There are no issues with that it's probably the best way to store it, not super bright, not super hot.

Anna

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    There is no 1:1 equivalency unfortunately. For one, not all nic is absorbed from vape.
    Coincidentally, not all the nicotine from a cigarette is absorbed either. Some of it is burned away! BT is looking out for our best interests though, and they add some more chemicals to a cig so the bit of nic that is delivered packs a punch!

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    What's mg vape juice is equivalent to regular cigarettes?
    Can i keep it in a cold place...
    Why you hijacking someone else's thread? For the record, there is no vape juice equivalent to cigarettes. We're trying to help a new juice mixer get sorted out and you jump in the thread with this kind of question? You should be ashamed.

Jacknic78

Jun 16, 2020
    Why you hijacking someone else's thread? For the record, there is no vape juice equivalent to cigarettes. We're trying to help a new juice mixer get sorted out and you jump in the thread with this kind of question? You should be ashamed.
    I just started to use electronic cigarettes that's why I was curious what nicotine strength could I use. So no need to be mean! Thank you!

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I don't have comment on meanness or not, because I cannot know the mind or emotions or soul of the "mean" poster, unless I am the mean one. For this next statement.

I do not understand why people will accuse you of whatever thing you did on the thread. Like, "NO, but this my explanation for why I did what I did, but you were CRUDE. Stop being Crude!"

Then they follow it up with a "Thank you!" As if thanking a person in advance for admitting to an act to which they did not admit even (and are likely TO NOT happen by following it with this very weird ACT) to cause you to ADMIT to, concede to the slightest. Like, "YOU ARE SATAN'S MINION KONCK IT OFF! THANK YOU!"

Only you are like, "Okay, the guy's like not writing a cover letter here, HOPEFULLY OMG, so why is he thanking you in advance for ANY attention you might give his post let ALONE admit to what he is describing you as doing."

It's this weird thing that be happening more and more recently in the younger of posters, like "If I preemptively thank him he must ADMIT my argument is right, he must like, BACK DOWN and do my bidding."

It's a really messed up way of thinking and writing and I cannot say I like it.

Also, almost 0.0000001% of the time, it doesn't work. At all. If anything it is escalated by using words traditionally used as gratitude as hostile "polite missiles" instead of what they actually mean.

I have thoughts of who to blame, but not enough knowledge so I am going to say:

ICE HOCKY I am NEW to this thank you missile way of interacting!!! IF there could just be less of you it would ALL STOP I KNOW it. SO STOP BEING ICE HOCKEY. THANK YOU!

Anna

Darn it. Ice hockey continued to Ice Hockey and it did not even say "You are welcome Anna" to this post. Oh well, Sociology.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    I don't have comment on meanness or not, because I cannot know the mind or emotions or soul of the "mean" poster, unless I am the mean one. For this next statement.

I do not understand why people will accuse you of whatever thing you did on the thread. Like, "NO, but this my explanation for why I did what I did, but you were CRUDE. Stop being Crude!"

Then they follow it up with a "Thank you!" As if thanking a person in advance for admitting to an act to which they did not admit even (and are likely TO NOT happen by following it with this very weird ACT) to cause you to ADMIT to, concede to the slightest. Like, "YOU ARE SATAN'S MINION KONCK IT OFF! THANK YOU!"

Only you are like, "Okay, the guy's like not writing a cover letter here, HOPEFULLY OMG, so why is he thanking you in advance for ANY attention you might give his post let ALONE admit to what he is describing you as doing."

It's this weird thing that be happening more and more recently in the younger of posters, like "If I preemptively thank him he must ADMIT my argument is right, he must like, BACK DOWN and do my bidding."

It's a really messed up way of thinking and writing and I cannot say I like it.

Also, almost 0.0000001% of the time, it doesn't work. At all. If anything it is escalated by using words traditionally used as gratitude as hostile "polite missiles" instead of what they actually mean.

I have thoughts of who to blame, but not enough knowledge so I am going to say:

ICE HOCKY I am NEW to this thank you missile way of interacting!!! IF there could just be less of you it would ALL STOP I KNOW it. SO STOP BEING ICE HOCKEY. THANK YOU!

Anna

Darn it. Ice hockey continued to Ice Hockey and it did not even say "You are welcome Anna" to this post. Oh well, Sociology.
    Anna, thank you AND you're welcome

• Love
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread