Five Pawns - Gambit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
picked up a bottle of this today, couldn't wait to get it home and try it, built a fresh rba setup on my subtank mini and fixed me up a tank....

I have to say, that this is, without a doubt, the worst crap I have ever tasted. It taste like grain alcohol mixed with something rotten! I kid you not, it literally makes me gag.

It has a born on date of 6/1/2015. Maybe steeping it will help taste like its profile?

Anyone else get the same thing from this juice?

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
picked up a bottle of this today, couldn't wait to get it home and try it, built a fresh RBA setup on my subtank mini and fixed me up a tank....

I have to say, that this is, without a doubt, the worst crap I have ever tasted. It taste like grain alcohol mixed with something rotten! I kid you not, it literally makes me gag.

It has a born on date of 6/1/2015. Maybe steeping it will help taste like its profile?

Your post made me laugh! That is exactly how it tasted to me!
The way to get the liquid to taste it's best is to use the worst equipment possible and to vape it when you have a cold.

I had to leave the top off my bottle for 2 or so weeks before the alcohol had dissipated enough for it to be vapeable, even then it just tasted to me like 1 rotting apple in a sea of sugar/caramel.

I was expecting to be blown away by the juice, but instead I was nearly blowing chunks.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
Your post made me laugh! That is exactly how it tasted to me!
The way to get the liquid to taste it's best is to use the worst equipment possible and to vape it when you have a cold.

I had to leave the top off my bottle for 2 or so weeks before the alcohol had dissipated enough for it to be vapeable, even then it just tasted to me like 1 rotting apple in a sea of sugar/caramel.

I was expecting to be blown away by the juice, but instead I was nearly blowing chunks.

Yeah, lids off and it's sitting in the steep cabinet, it's freakin nasty.

Gonna write me a strongly worded letter to customerservice@fivepawns.com

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Yeah, lids off and it's sitting in the steep cabinet, it's freakin nasty.

Their reply will be along the lines of:
"We are sorry that you don't like it, many people without tastebuds enjoy our e-juices. Taste is subjective and all that jazz, blah blah blah..."

On the plus side you might be lucky enough for them to not offer to send you a replacement bottle ;)

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Steve, Have you tried the V@ Capella Vanilla Custard? Is it any good? I love the V1 and if the V2 sucks I will go ahead and order about a quart of the V1 while it is still available.
Should keep well in fridge.

I don't particularly like custards, so haven't tried either...

misterholidayhouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2013
Central Oregon
I found it to taste as advertised (though not nearly as mind blowing as the description) fresh from the mail and it didn't change after that. Nothing like you describe. A mellow sweet apple pie a la mode with the familiar 5P base taste. Minimal throat hit for 12mg. I literally finished the last drops from a 30ml an hour ago. The bottle was about a month old. I enjoyed it as a spot vape but I won't order any more from 5P on principle due to the controversy mentioned above. I do enjoy Castle Long a little more. Sixty-Four was weird but not nasty. Those are the only three I've tried and none were particularly bad.

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
I tried grandmaster, hated it day it arrived, few weeks later... It was ok.

There are so many other good juice vendors out there, i just don't have a reason to try 5 pawns again. And given what happened recently, yeah, would rather pay someone else... Alhusion/plume room/astro/heathers heavenly vapes/alice in vapeland/ripe vapes/itc ... I have liked some of the juice from each of them very much.

Around thanksgiving i will do another big order to get another 6 months worth (have enough to get me through july 2016 right now) and am probably just going plume room, alice and maybe some astro. Sometimes less choices are easier lol

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
I found Gambit to be a bit off as well. Certainly not what I expected. I even think your description of flavor was pretty spot on. Frankly for what they charge for a bottle of juice it should be mindblowingly good, not bad. And I know, taste is subjective, but I will not subject my taste buds to that again. My favorite from them is Queenside. Pretty good Orange cream. Not sure if it's worth $1 per ml though.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Gambit, for me was lush, grandma made apple pie.... covered with a heaping spoonful of fresh vomit mixed with vanilla. I'm a drinker, so I know what vomit taste like, and 5 pawns nailed it with this one for sure!

If authenticity is not a sign of a premium liquid I don't know what is.

Just sayin~

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
picked up a bottle of this today, couldn't wait to get it home and try it, built a fresh RBA setup on my subtank mini and fixed me up a tank....

sHa_lolcry.gif

fogmust

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2015
New Jersey

Why? I've bought pastrami that I didn't like, I've ordered meals that I didn't like and I've tasted drinks that I didn't like. It doesn't mean that they weren't well made and there aren't thousands of people who like them. I never scolded the manufacturers for making something that I don't like. Taste is very, very subjective. If it wasn't, there would only be one juice flavor and we'd all be in love with it.
As much hate as 5P gets on here, they make good stuff. Their uppity stance and their high prices piss me off too, don't get me wrong. But they do make quality juice which I enjoy very much.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
Why? I've bought pastrami that I didn't like, I've ordered meals that I didn't like and I've tasted drinks that I didn't like. It doesn't mean that they weren't well made and there aren't thousands of people who like them. I never scolded the manufacturers for making something that I don't like. Taste is very, very subjective. If it wasn't, there would only be one juice flavor and we'd all be in love with it.
As much hate as 5P gets on here, they make good stuff. Their uppity stance and their high prices piss me off too, don't get me wrong. But they do make quality juice which I enjoy very much.

Although I agree that taste is very subjective, Apple Pie Vapes happen to be my favorite flavor liquid. I have tried many and they all have tasted like apples. So dare I say I know Apple Vapes pretty well. This has no Apple flavor what so ever. I've had my wife and my buddy next door try it and they both say the same thing, taste like alcohol.

If I pay 27.00 for an apple pie vape, it damn well better taste like Apple pie.

Same as if I buy a pound of pastrami it damn well better not taste like Bologna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
Never tried gambit but five pawns ain't all bad. Their castle long and castle long reserve are absolutely gorgeous. Deep and rich and bursting with complex flavors. Definitely not an all day vape but a nice reward after a long day... at least for me cuz I'm poor and can't do a buck a ml.

I hear a lot of good things about 5P, it's the reason I bought it. I just happen to be visiting friends a few towns away and went into a b & m there and they had it and I thought I would try it....

fogmust

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2015
New Jersey
Although I agree that taste is very subjective, Apple Pie Vapes happen to be my favorite flavor liquid. I have tried many and they all have tasted like apples. So dare I say I know Apple Vapes pretty well. This has no Apple flavor what so ever. I've had my wife and my buddy next door try it and they both say the same thing, taste like alcohol.

If I pay 27.00 for an apple pie vape, it damn well better taste like Apple pie.

Same as if I buy a pound of pastrami it damn well better not taste like Bologna.

I respectfully beg to disagree with this, too. No two apple pies made by two different people, using different recipes will ever taste the same. I am sure you've had apple pie that you didn't like either. Don't get me wrong, I do not defend 5P. They are not perfect, and as I've said before, they are expensive and stuck up. But Gambit, Grandmaster and especially Castle Long are classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread