The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Flat Clapton SS316L

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by Spacewalker, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Spacewalker

Spacewalker New Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Hey all. Normally I use 24AWG Kanthal but I recently started to use premade .1 ohm Flat Clapton. Well of course the place I go was out and figured I would give coiling myself a shot. I just can’t seem to get it in the same .1 ohm. I’m using a project sub ohm deck with a pro color 225 mod. I could just keep doing my normal build for now with the kanthal but I like how these perform. I can get it to work if I use temp mode but to be completely honest, I normally just go off watts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Finlay knowles

Finlay knowles Full Member

Feb 22, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    This was an issue for me too with trying to do TC with dual coils. Hand built coils just seem to have too much variance

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    .1Ω is pretty low to aim for. Try .3 and see how you like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I too think that is a really low resistance to aim for and would suggest a single exotic coil to start with. With that low resistance and that much metal to heat up, you are going to require quite high wattage. If you do go ahead, make sure you are using batteries that will suit your build, and if you don't know what I mean by that, I might suggest a little light reading:

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum It should tell you some of what you are looking for, although if you have specific questions, by all means ask them. But at that resistance and that build, you need authentic, high amp rated batteries from a reputable vendor. Mooch has a chart that lists battery specs and "approved" vendors that are on the list. If you know this info, already, my apologies, but with that kind of build you are better off safe than sorry. And I really might aim for a bit higher resistance, that is low enough to really be pushing "lowest safest resistance" on a mod, and some might not fire it at all.

Best of luck, and I hope things work out well. That wouldn't be my choice for a build though, I just think it's unnecessarily low and too much metal but well, to each their own.

Good luck!

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  6. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    You'd have to give at least a hint of the wires you're using. Are they prebuilt wires? Are you building them yourself? What are the dimensions of the wires?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Spacewalker

Spacewalker New Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I’m actually not sure the wire demensions other than the fact that it tells me is a 26Awg wrapped around 32? In all honesty I normally build with 24AWG kanthal with 5 wraps around a 3/32 drill bit. It’s keeps me around .5 and that’s what I normally vape with but the Clapton the only pre built coils were .15

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spacewalker

Spacewalker New Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I actually normally aim for a .5 with the kanthal. If I could do that it would be awesome but I can’t seem to hit that with this new stuff

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    More wraps and larger diameter is all you can do. Ribbon is not the best choice to start playing with. Simple clapton or fused clapton is better for getting your feet wet.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    That's only 2.3mm ID? Seems very low to me, especially for the more open draw style I infer from your posts. At higher power this will smell burned very quickly. With your premade wire you need an ID of at least 3mm (1/8), preferably even 3.5mm (9/64).

Your wire is a hunk-of-metal wire, the core flat/ribbon is already twice as thick as what I would use and the wrapping wire is also very thick. A realistic flapton from my perspective would be more like 20g*32g + 38g, this will be far less power hungry (but you won't be able to buy that for a reasonable price to my knowledge).
    I'd suggest to scratch the clapton part of the wire and simply order some 18g*32g or 20g*32g flat/ribbon 316L wire instead.

• Love Love x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Ribbon wire looks so pretty! But, I doubt I will be vaping it any time soon. Not unless I want to increase my wattage by 500% LOL.

I wouldn't mind a ribbon wire bracelet a bit, although that type of "art" tends to be expensive. I think my own version might be a bit too much like how my basket turned out during basket-weaving class. Unique, but you wouldn't want to STORE anything in it.

Anna

12. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Thin ribbon wastes less energy to heat up and has a bigger contact surface to your wick compared to round wire = moar flavor for the Amps. You could try some 20g*38g and I'd bet you would have to reduce your wattage. That thin a ribbon isn't as easy to handle though so keep that in mind.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I bought some flat clapton SS316L with a single 4mm 6 wrap coil it came out to 0.23 although that isn't bad but in a dual coil setup would be a little low. Next time I'm going to try the round clapton. The resistance per a ft is better

• Like Like x 1
  14. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    The main problem is that the commonly sold exotic wires are very suboptimal. They have too much mass and waste tons of energy. This is critical to understand if you want to have a good time with, well, any kind of build.
    The mass to surface area ratio needs to be as small as you can get away with and still have a managable build. While I don't have written down an established formula for that it's still a good rule of thumb to choose wires for builds.

Fat massive coils are what I call kamikaze builds for mechs, dual coil near .1Ω so definitely on the edge regarding safety, the battery will suffer and be empty in no time as well as unusable after only few months.
    They're not really meant for regulated devices where you're free to make just about any build.

Take advantage of that and choose light builds with big surfaces. Depending on the material those can still be pretty low resistance but they will heat up quickly with far less power and in most cases even produce more vapor and flavor than the overweight builds, being more efficient at transferring the energy to the surface of your wick.

Coming back to claptons, my own experiments gave me about 26g as a lower bound for core wires and 36g as a lower bound for wrapping wire, everything below will only increase mass unnecessarily (and 26g core + 36g wrap isn't the quickest coil either already). Flat/ribbon shouldn't be below 38g in thickness, rather go up in width from there (doesn't matter if used as is or as core for a flapton).

If you take experiments like those from Morten Oen (YT) into account there's another reason you don't want thick wrapping wire claptons, they will be aerodynamically inferior and have worse flow around your coils.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.