Status
Not open for further replies.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Sure, the rda you're building on determines a lot (airflow / post orientation / quantity, top cap shape, it's overall design). Your juice plays a big role, duh. However, with rebuildables, you can optimize your experience and tailor it to your desire.

- Before you read ahead, these ideas are loosely based off what I've heard and/or thought of without much testing.
- I am looking for ideas / input / feedback --- I want to compile them into a sticky / giant thread for people to learn and share ideas

HOW DO YOU GET THE BEST FLAVOR POSSIBLE?

A)List what atomizers you use / their builds
B) Explain the specifics - why I created this thread
(relative to RDA)
-- ie: Wicking style, length, thickness, how it's threaded
-- ie: Coil orientation, positioning relative to RDA posts / walls / airflow, how high off the deck etc.
-- ie: What is it that makes your build produce better flavor than others???

------------------------------------------------

Some basic theory that I've thought of while on break ----

1. When positioning a coil, it should be situated between your airflow and drip tip whenever possible. So, if you were to imagine a straight line, the coil would land between them.With a standard 3 post design / side air intake RDA, should you make sure the the coils are towards the top of the airflow inlets and as close to the wall as possible?

2. If cloud size isn't a top priority, should you aim for a smaller coil diameter so that air can travel around the entire coil with ease?

3. Less cotton the better. Just dense enough for a slight inner coil resistance, fluffy / untwisted, and long enough to lay the drip well. With certain coils, adding more cotton-to-coil surface area (outside of the coil, ie: tuck underneath - touching bottom of coil) can cause issues with dry spots / burning. Juice gets vaporized quicker and doesn't feed evenly if it's being vaporized at multiple areas. Speculation but it makes sense in my head.

4. Aim for coil surface area. The higher the better seems to be the trend here, with parallel / twisted builds becoming widely popular. For FLAVOR junkies, is this true? At what point are coils too long and does it interfere with wicking?

------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping that there are others like me that just want the best flavor possible and will keep returning to this thread to share their next biggest and brighest idea.

All feedback is welcome!

:p
Bryan

(posted here and elsewhere to compile the most info)

Last edited:

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
Sure, the RDA you're building on determines a lot (airflow / post orientation / quantity, top cap shape, it's overall design). Your juice plays a big role, duh. However, with rebuildables, you can optimize your experience and tailor it to your desire.

- Before you read ahead, these ideas are loosely based off what I've heard and/or thought of without much testing.
- I am looking for ideas / input / feedback --- I want to compile them into a sticky / giant thread for people to learn and share ideas

HOW DO YOU GET THE BEST FLAVOR POSSIBLE?

A)List what atomizers you use / their builds
B) Explain the specifics - why I created this thread
(relative to RDA)
-- ie: Wicking style, length, thickness, how it's threaded
-- ie: Coil orientation, positioning relative to RDA posts / walls / airflow, how high off the deck etc.
-- ie: What is it that makes your build produce better flavor than others???

------------------------------------------------

Some basic theory that I've thought of while on break ----

1. When positioning a coil, it should be situated between your airflow and drip tip whenever possible. So, if you were to imagine a straight line, the coil would land between them.With a standard 3 post design / side air intake RDA, should you make sure the the coils are towards the top of the airflow inlets and as close to the wall as possible?

2. If cloud size isn't a top priority, should you aim for a smaller coil diameter so that air can travel around the entire coil with ease?

3. Less cotton the better. Just dense enough for a slight inner coil resistance, fluffy / untwisted, and long enough to lay the drip well. With certain coils, adding more cotton-to-coil surface area (outside of the coil, ie: tuck underneath - touching bottom of coil) can cause issues with dry spots / burning. Juice gets vaporized quicker and doesn't feed evenly if it's being vaporized at multiple areas. Speculation but it makes sense in my head.

4. Aim for coil surface area. The higher the better seems to be the trend here, with parallel / twisted builds becoming widely popular. For FLAVOR junkies, is this true? At what point are coils too long and does it interfere with wicking?

------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping that there are others like me that just want the best flavor possible and will keep returning to this thread to share their next biggest and brighest idea.

All feedback is welcome!

:p
Bryan

(posted here and elsewhere to compile the most info)

So, I have a triple twisted 27 g with an id of 7/64 wicked with Rayon metered out at .47. I'ts crammed into an Rm2 atomizer who's air hole has been drilled out to 3/32.
CkwxsqN.jpg

It's positioned as close to the edge as I can get it without shorting the atomizer out. Raised so that there is airflow under and over.
As far a the wick, there is enough Rayon in there to fully saturate the coil. Since the Rm2 is bottom fed, wick/coil saturation is not an issue.
There's a lot of metal on this build with lot's of nooks and crannies to hold juice. It's a fairly hot build, and delivers a hit much like a cigarette, which to me is kind of nice.
It deliver's the flavor big time. But it's built for one juice. Of the multiple juices I've tried in it, it just works best for one of them. I do build for the juice though and if a build doesn't work for the specific juice, I'll take it out and modify until I find a sweet spot.

I'm waiting on a Kanthal order, so as I work with those wires, I'll post those builds for you. Odin rda build will be next...

Reactions: KvK86

Cloudd

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
I found the "infinity" coil build id quite good for flavours. I'm only starting to building that so no presentable pictures available.

I'm using 28 awg kanthal wrapped on a paperclip so it is a micro coil. About two inches in wire length. Set the coil sideways (flat) so that the airhole points directly on the side of the coils.

Still it doesn't beat 30awg parallel in terns of heat but flavours? Yes it taste cleaner.

Siochanai

Verified Member
Surface area makes a big difference in flavor as well as the RDA you are using. RDA's with a conical top will make a big difference in flavor due to the vortex it produces in the air flow. There is also a correlation to temperature and flavor. Every juice is different and various temperatures will expose different flavors in the juice. Lower resistance = hotter coils = different flavor then high resistance cooler coils. Coil position to airflow also can effect flavor. Do not over wick you want the air to travel easily around the whole coil. It is actually quite interesting because all of these things also factor into vapor production as well. So it is possible to have massive vapor and amazing flavor. All comes down to the coil, dripper, airflow and temperature. The best I can suggest is to play around a bit with high surface area builds using twisted wire. Produces very clean crisp flavor. Right now I am messing about with twisted chain builds which are well known for massive vapor and amazing flavor.

Edit:
The below coil reads out at 0.4 ohms made with 26 ga Kanthal 5 wraps 3/32 bit on a Dark Horse RDA. You really need the huge 2 mm post holes for this coil and it is a super tight fit need to make sure the top cap does not catch took a bit to wiggle it so the cap would not short the build. The Dark Horse has something around 16 different air flow options on it so it is super configurable.

20150124_120304.jpg

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
ive also had a mess about with the chain wire, zipper coils and fusion claptons all produce amazing flavour.

even a strand of 26g A1 and 26g nichrome twisted together is really really good for flavour and i twist this up as loose as Soignee a couple a posts above has twisted his build. :)

i've also been doing the triangle wire thats messes is showing, it is also good but i have a bit of experimenting to do with it to get what i like in a vape, which is an all rounder, but here is the vid>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHrWCAn28I

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
ive also had a mess about with the chain wire, zipper coils and fusion claptons all produce amazing flavour.

even a strand of 26g A1 and 26g nichrome twisted together is really really good for flavour and i twist this up as loose as Soignee a couple a posts above has twisted his build. :)

i've also been doing the triangle wire thats messes is showing, it is also good but i have a bit of experimenting to do with it to get what i like in a vape, which is an all rounder, but here is the vid>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHrWCAn28I

Thanks for the link! Twisted Messes has taught me quite a lot...

Justin Gibson

Sep 21, 2014
Honestly flavor is all that matters to me and I have built hundreds of different types of coils and the dual 26 gauge around 3/32nd drill bit in my atomic is the best flavor produced to ME. It's around .5 ohms and set on 28 watts. I know there is something better out there but so far I have only found one juice that I can vape all day and this particular setup is the "sweet spot" for this juice. Like the other guy said different builds and different heat will produce different flavors. I'm still looking for the perfect build and seems like the more I try the farther I get from finding it.

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
Honestly flavor is all that matters to me and I have built hundreds of different types of coils and the dual 26 gauge around 3/32nd drill bit in my atomic is the best flavor produced to ME. It's around .5 ohms and set on 28 watts. I know there is something better out there but so far I have only found one juice that I can vape all day and this particular setup is the "sweet spot" for this juice. Like the other guy said different builds and different heat will produce different flavors. I'm still looking for the perfect build and seems like the more I try the farther I get from finding it.

How many wraps are you doing?

Justin Gibson

Sep 21, 2014
Well i use to only do 6 or 7 but now with the sigelei i can Do 9 or 10 but still not getting the flavor i was hoping for. Also ive tried rayon and cotton bacon and both of the have horrible tastes to them. The koh gen do is by far the best and the organic cotton balls are ok but just not as long lasting as the kgd so i think my wicking is ok just have to figure out the size coils to build. When i try and.twist wire it seems to get way way to hot after 2 or 3 pulls and after the atty gets hot it just kills the flavor for some reason..

G-weezy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Minneapolis
I have been on a flavor chasing binge myself. What I did was get a atomizer for flavors. Magma, Origen, and Marquis. But I found my love with the Origen. Like others have mentioned: reduced chamber, the right sized air hole/flow and build. This is what works for me so far. No fancy coils. Just a dual micro coil with 24ga around a 3/32 bit or the small screwdriver in those sets. You can do 5,6,7 or 8 wraps. Brings the ohms to about .20-.30.

A simple dual vertical coil does it for me. Wicked with Rayon.

7C0ieCdl.jpg

ABffXarl.jpg

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I have been on a flavor chasing binge myself. What I did was get a atomizer for flavors. Magma, Origen, and Marquis. But I found my love with the Origen. Like others have mentioned: reduced chamber, the right sized air hole/flow and build. This is what works for me so far. No fancy coils. Just a dual micro coil with 24ga around a 3/32 bit or the small screwdriver in those sets. You can do 5,6,7 or 8 wraps. Brings the ohms to about .20-.30.

A simple dual vertical coil does it for me. Wicked with Rayon.

7C0ieCdl.jpg

ABffXarl.jpg

Nice, simple efficient. Just got an email that the bottom feed kit is available for the Origen...thanks for the enabling! :laugh:

My favorite flavor build, the Zipper on a Mutation Xv2. Takes some time to make, but they last me 2 1/2 to 3 months, just clean once a week and re-wick with just enough Japanese cotton to reach the deck. Great with all of my juices, between 45 and 75 watts depending on juice. I stick with the single coil, the dual coil pictured just sucked up more juice (both battery and liquid) with no noticeable performance change. It's the only picture I had. Besides, it's a beautiful pic! 20150101_172618-picsay2.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Gibson

Sep 21, 2014
Just thought I would share this with you guys but I just purchased the hobo v2.1 and I have to say if it's flavor your looking for then the hobo is a must have it is waaaaaayyyyyyy better than all my other attys even the veritas but There is 2 small flaws one being the small Allen screws are just hard to work with and the other flaw is that unless you position the coils at a angle it will spit back but I watched Trevor jones video on you tube and positioned the coils just like he did and it pretty much stopped the spit back I used 26 gauge kanthall and did 10 wraps on a 5/64 drill bit with dual coils and the flavor is like no other in my opinion..

Reactions: Lee Robinson

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas

Cool twists Slippy. Never saw this guy's stuff. Thank you for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread