Status
Not open for further replies.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
You're not getting what I'm saying. Anyway, the only thing voltage drop affects is the efficiency of your build or in practical terms battery life. That's it.

What I'm talking about is that every single time you press that button, you're depleting your battery a little, every subsequent time you press that button, as your battery drains, your battery is delivering slightly less voltage. From a fresh battery to a near depleted battery you're looking at a noticeably different vape.

The best you can possibly hope for is to get close for a little while from the high side, hit the target, then stay reasonably close for a while on the low side as the battery drains. Good electronics 100% overcome that downside of batteries and if I'm flavor chasing, control is (IMHO) essential to get the most out of a juice, something unregulated devices are simply not capable of.

They're just the wrong tool for the job. I've got nothing against running unregulated devices, but you just have to understand their limitations and how they operate and decide if it suits the purpose. For the most part, they work fine with most of the juices I have, 10% drift from high to low isn't that big a deal. But when I'm after getting the best flavor I can get out of a juice, or I'm using a juice that has a narrow band where it just pops, they just aren't even a consideration.

Ah, yes, you are absolutely correct on the depleted battery.

I used to use a regulated device to find the watts to optimize a juice flavor. Once I found it, I built a coil to give me that target on an unregulated device. Not quite what you are talking about, but it did work. I do vape certain juice in a regulated device in order to keep it consistent without having to change batteries to keep the volts above 4.0.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Ah, yes, you are absolutely correct on the depleted battery.

I used to use a regulated device to find the watts to optimize a juice flavor. Once I found it, I built a coil to give me that target on an unregulated device. Not quite what you are talking about, but it did work. I do vape certain juice in a regulated device in order to keep it consistent without having to change batteries to keep the volts above 4.0.

cus im mostly around the home i alway's change my batt's at 4v, its also kept my batt's from getting old as quick as they norm did when running to 3.6v before a change, if out and about i just grab the sigelei for peace of mind :)

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
You're not getting what I'm saying. Anyway, the only thing voltage drop affects is the efficiency of your build or in practical terms battery life. That's it.

What I'm talking about is that every single time you press that button, you're depleting your battery a little, every subsequent time you press that button, as your battery drains, your battery is delivering slightly less voltage. From a fresh battery to a near depleted battery you're looking at a noticeably different vape.

The best you can possibly hope for is to get close for a little while from the high side, hit the target, then stay reasonably close for a while on the low side as the battery drains. Good electronics 100% overcome that downside of batteries and if I'm flavor chasing, control is (IMHO) essential to get the most out of a juice, something unregulated devices are simply not capable of.

They're just the wrong tool for the job. I've got nothing against running unregulated devices, but you just have to understand their limitations and how they operate and decide if it suits the purpose. For the most part, they work fine with most of the juices I have, 10% drift from high to low isn't that big a deal. But when I'm after getting the best flavor I can get out of a juice, or I'm using a juice that has a narrow band where it just pops, they just aren't even a consideration.

Makes sense. Still, I can't stand carrying a box mod around. I love the aesthetics and pure simplicity of a mech mod, and get plenty of flavor. I bring 3 batteries to work, fresh one each break and keep the rest charging. I don't mind the inconvenience of having to keep batteries topped off and not getting as much battery life for the benefits of mechs.

I agree with what you're saying - but my focus for the thread is coil / wick design. I'll leave the mod part up to the user =]

Voltage Drop is a term that refers to losing power due to unwanted resistance from your atty or mod. At max power, batteries put out around 4.2v yes? You throw it in a tube or mod, make it travel through the RDA to hit the coil. If only 4.05v hit the coil, the "voltage drop" on the way to the coil is .15 volts. At least, this is how I've come to understand it.

Last edited:
I don't mind the inconvenience of having to keep batteries topped off and not getting as much battery life for the benefits of mechs..

Sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean the "benefits" of a mech? Are you talking strictly unregulated boxes, or are you referring to ANY box mod? Because I think comparing a mech to a regulated mod is apples and oranges. They've got more differences than similarities.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean the "benefits" of a mech? Are you talking strictly unregulated boxes, or are you referring to ANY box mod? Because I think comparing a mech to a regulated mod is apples and oranges. They've got more differences than similarities.

I'm talking about any box mod, keeping the unregulated devices in my argument as simple tube mechs. Sorry, didn't even bring unregulated box mods into my frame of mind. I'm running on very little rest and getting sick.

The ergnonomics and aesthetics are worth the inconvenience of battery swapping like hot cakes. That's just me =]. I love keeping them clean and running up to snuff -- polishing, cleaning contacts, sanding down sharp edges, etc. I'm an odd bird.

If they can create a small SMPL clone mech mod with a 150w regulated system under $20, I'm down ;). So finances come into play too, as to why I like Mechs.

Anyways, let's get back to the RDA build talk =]

Last edited:

Juvecoop

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2014
Toronto, Ont, Canada
I'm becoming a bit lost with this whole coil building. I recently purchased a lemo 2 a few week ago. I've changed the drip tip, tried a few different builds from Twisted 26, twisted 30, single 24, single 26 with pancake wick. It has become a bit overwhelming and I'm starting to lose a bit of interest in it because i can't seem to get the FLAVOR I was expecting making the switch from tank to RTA. I also tried Cotton bacon and Shisedo. I love the tank its easy to build and the top fill is awesome. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I'm becoming a bit lost with this whole coil building. I recently purchased a lemo 2 a few week ago. I've changed the drip tip, tried a few different builds from Twisted 26, twisted 30, single 24, single 26 with pancake wick. It has become a bit overwhelming and I'm starting to lose a bit of interest in it because i can't seem to get the FLAVOR I was expecting making the switch from tank to RTA. I also tried Cotton bacon and Shisedo. I love the tank its easy to build and the top fill is awesome. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
You could try running a parallel build in it. I used to use a Lemo and had some success with that build.

Sent from Stoooopidtalk!

Juvecoop

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2014
Toronto, Ont, Canada
You could try running a parallel build in it. I used to use a Lemo and had some success with that build.

Sent from Stoooopidtalk!

still haven't tried that. That is also called a Chimney Build right? if that's it a friend of mine is supposed to show me his to try out. What was your build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread