Status
Not open for further replies.
So I "twisted" some Clapton coil up today, 32 g over 24 g. Did 5 wraps on a 3/32 mandrel, came out at .45 ohms...Great flavor, it's a roaring, noisy build but it vapes very smoothly.

The coil has been pulled out to the edge of the deck and is centered on the air hole of the Mephisto and dialed down to 1/16th of an inch.

Beautiful coil, Soignee. What's your trick to getting such a perfect Clapton? Is there a device that allows you to roll the smaller wire around the larger? I've (painstakingly) done them by hand, but they don't come out near as beautiful as yours. You always have such pretty coils. Is there a trick of yours I've missed on the Clapton?

Edit: I just read your post on page 5. I'll have to look into getting something so my fingers don't bleed when doing them.

Last edited:
I built a coil out of 24ga flat wire last night for the first time. I know- not very impressive as far as complexity, but it's my first time using flat wire. I am blown away by the taste! I built a single coil just messing around with it, not expecting much, but I am really impressed. Gonna have to do duals or a sleeper after work today just to see what it's like. I can say without a doubt, this flat wire has more flavor than any other single coil I've used. It's right up there with the quad coils I was using in my Mutation X last week. Flavor is huge. I think I'm a fan of this wire.

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
Generally for flavor I use twisted 28 gauge dual coils. Could get great flavor out of the dark horse with it even. Also rayon produces a cleaner flavor than cotton in my opinion. Also the derringer is amazing for flavor. Using 7 wrap twisted 28 dual coil at .5 at 70 watts on sigelei 150

Last edited:

MCCOY300

Mar 9, 2015
Oklahoma City
IMG_1051.jpg

I seem to get the best flavor from a single coil twisted nano in 28ga.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Getting pretty good flavor from my current set up. Twisted (2) strands of 30ga together, and then reverse-twisted that with single strand of 26ga. Running dual coils in my Mutation x. Come out to .32 ohms. Pleasantly surprised it's performing as well as it is.
I need to experiment like this =) maybe throw a higher gauge clapton on there. Like twisted 30g, twisted 28g wrapped in 34g. Ty for ideas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
I am beginning to truly believe that rayon vapes better than cotton. Been using it for a few weeks and rewicked cotton last night. Noticeably inferior flavorful and less vapor

Using the same dual clapton build, I have to drip far less often and feel like I'm not getting enough with each hit. Fresh batteries, clean contacts and same rda.

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I am beginning to truly believe that rayon vapes better than cotton. Been using it for a few weeks and rewicked cotton last night. Noticeably inferior flavorful and less vapor

Using the same dual clapton build, I have to drip far less often and feel like I'm not getting enough with each hit. Fresh batteries, clean contacts and same rda.

There is no doubt in my mind that Rayon has better capillary action than cotton (I have used it in tanks, drippers and bottom fed atomizers since last September). I find the flavor less muted than cotton. And it seems to last longer. I do use a bottom feeder exclusively now, so I am able to keep the wick saturated for a longer duration which I think may decrease coil gunking.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
There is no doubt in my mind that Rayon has better capillary action than cotton (I have used it in tanks, drippers and bottom fed atomizers since last September). I find the flavor less muted than cotton. And it seems to last longer. I do use a bottom feeder exclusively now, so I am able to keep the wick saturated for a longer duration which I think may decrease coil gunking.
Love it so much. Swapped back and flying thru juice =)

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
I have been playing with Nichrome 60 lately. Here is some 24 g Nichrome 60 Claptoned with some .5 ribbon Kanthal. Might be called Tiger Wire? Came in at .37 ohms. The Nichrome ramps up almost instantly. You can see some spacing in the ribbon wire in the first picture. The spacing developed when I formed the coil. The ribbon wire is layed down perfectly on the uncoiled wire and is pulled apart during the coil production.

It is built in a Derringer bottom feeder. Airholes are closed down to 2 on a single coil. Great flavor, it is producing a very sweet vape. That is, the juice I am using and use as an ADV is incredibly sweet with this build...pretty abnormal for this juice, all the other components are still there, it's just incredibly sweet. I'll have to see how it goes as the build breaks in...

y7lyu6m.jpg

3PRWZiQ.jpg

FPkCPcr.jpg

7T0OqsW.jpg

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
16628755738_a7538dd3b3_b.jpg

My latest Saturday evening build and man does it chuck the flavor. I am convinced that Flat .......s outdo Claptons - at least the Fused claptons that I've tried.

The coil above was made by:

01. Straightened 3 strands of A1 kanthal: of 26g, 28g, and 30g
02. Twisted 28g w/ 30g clockwise
03. Flattened the 28g/30g twisted wire
04. Reverse twisted that with 26g
05. Flattened 3 strand twisted wire
06. Wrapped that Clapton / Flat ....... style w/ 28g ribbon

Dual coil: 2mm inner diameter in Mutation X v1. .25 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread