Flavor % max?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Okay, I just got through mixing my own variation of Unicorn / Mothers Milk. I replaced two common flavorings, added three not so common flavorings, to a grand total of 20% flavoring.

Question: Is this excessive, or am I okay? I've heard some vendors mix as high as 40%.

Last edited:

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Here's my mixture... It's not over the top at all. Quite mellow, actually. I think the Meringue really sets it off, but may be a bit sweet for some. If this is the case, I would leave out the Meringue, and increase the Bavarian Cream by 2%. Those who are sugar sensitive may not want the additional sweetness.

Strawberry Ripe: 10%
Cheesecake Graham Crust: 4%
Sweet Cream: 2%
Vanilla Custard: 2%
Bavarian Cream: 2%

Adjusted Mix.

Last edited:

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
In NO way am I saying your doing anything wrong. Because, like others stated, you’re the one vaping it! That being said, IME I found that some of these high percentage mixes can be great for a shake and vape or maybe even 3+ days. However I’ve also found once the flavors start binding etc, that awesome in your face flavor, starts to change and take on a different profile which may or may not be what you’re looking for. I’ve only been mixing a few months. I was under the assumption that more flavoring equals more flavor. This is not true after a certain point. They all have their sweet spot and it differs for each mix. The more flavors you use, the easier it is to end up with a muddied liquid confusion. Your recipe looks tasty IMO! (Even though I don’t see who’s flavorings.) Though I think you’ll find that, after aging, the ethyl maltol in the strawberry ripe will mute your other flavors a bit. Sometimes I like to let a mix steep a bit before adding flavors which can cause this. These flavors can also work in your favor when a bit of mellowing out is needed. It’s an art almost really... One I haven’t yet mastered but I’m closer every day, as you will be too. Take notes and learn from everything:thumb:

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
It does seem like the strawberry flavor should be more prominent... Hmm? I'm getting more sugar than flavor. I think I overdid it on the Meringue. Let it steep?
A 1:1 ratio for the two creams and meringue should work well. The cereal berries probably have EM as well. If you have a hazel nut you can use less graham and boost with the hazelnut, that would also lower the sweetness a touch.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Okay, I was vaping the pre Crunchy Cereal added mix... The Crunchy Cereal definitely helped tame the sweetness. I'll let this mix steep for a few days, then revisit. I'm vaping it now, an it tastes fantastic! Blows away Strawberry Donuts. I adjusted the mix to cut-back on the sweetness. 20% still seems high.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
My two cents...

I’ve been mixing about 4.5 years. Everything is a test, until I’ve made it more than once, successfully, and it’s been fully steeped ( however long that may be for each juice, maybe a week, maybe three months).

My first test, I do 10 mls and use half as much flavor as I think it’ll need. Even though I’m quite familiar with most of the flavors on their own, and in recipes I make often, it still pays to be frugal. No telling how each will work with different combinations until I’ve tried it. And it’s easier to add more than to dilute, plus, starting low is the only way to be sure not to over flavor.

I don’t want to use more than I have to, although I like a huge flavor.

You may well like and need 20%, no law against that, but if you start there, you won’t know if less would have done it.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I'm limited to 10% because of PG. There are some flavors I simply can't use because they don't produce enough flavor, or I have to give up on them being a single flavor and boost their notes with something else that's stronger.
TFA Strawberry (not ripe) is one of those weak flavors. There are some I wish I could use at 15%.
So 20% doesn't seem way off base to my thinking, just my PG issue.

Last edited:

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I added 40ml VG + 20ml (12% nicotine) PG to the original 180ml mix, for a total of 240ml (4 x 60ml bottles). The flavor isn't as intense, of course, but it is much better. I will let it steep for 3 days, then revisit.

My favorite ECR Mother's Milk recipe contains 23% flavoring, so...

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I added 40ml VG + 20ml (12% nicotine) PG to the original 180ml mix, for a total of 240ml (4 x 60ml bottles). The flavor isn't as intense, of course, but it is much better. I will let it steep for 3 days, then revisit.

You made 180ml of an untested recipe?
Now that's beyond the max:) You can see how quickly you can end up with 240ml.

I start recipes at 5-10ml.
I really don't mix even tried and true recipes above 30ml. You could say 90ml because sometimes I run my ADV all the way out and I have to make 3 bottles at once.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
You made 180ml of an untested recipe?
Now that's beyond the max:) You can see how quickly you can end up with 240ml.

I start recipes at 5-10ml.
I really don't mix even tried and true recipes above 30ml. You could say 90ml because sometimes I run my ADV all the way out and I have to make 3 bottles at once.
It wasn't entirely untested. I modified a popular DIY Mother's Milk clone recipe to include cereal and milk. But yes, I started with 180ml. Had this been a ground-up formulation, I would have started with a lower quantity.

I'm vaping it now, and it is fantastic! Easily, an all-day vape. After sitting overnight, the Crunchy Cereal is coming forward, as is the Dairy Milk. I love the flavor of milk, but I have yet to mix a singular milk flavored liquid that I would describe as (to borrow the term) quaffable.

Last edited:

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
It wasn't entirely untested. I modified a popular DIY Mother's Milk clone recipe to include cereal and milk.
I’ve mixed a few 50 mls of tried and true (by others) mixes, only to find they’re not for me. I think you’ll agree this worked for you. But it’s just something to keep in mind.

The flavor of milk, may just be my all-time favorite that nature has to offer. I have yet to mix a singular milk flavored liquid that I would describe as (to borrow the term) quaffable.
Just milk can be a tricky one. While I know mlNikon has a blackberry milk which has been raved over, I don’t know of any one shot just milk types. I know there have been some attempted clones of mylk ejuice. Believe I have one written down but haven’t tried it yet. Those heavy fatty dairy notes can be hard to deliver, but possible. If you find a good one, I’d be interested. Here’s the one I have...

Mylk By: ouyang0212 (Reddit)
.1% FLV Milk
.5% FA Fresh Cream
.6% FLV Milk & Honey
2.3% TFA Milk
.4% FLV Macaroon
.5% ? Meringue (brand unspecified)
There seemed to be a language barrier (perhaps?) as ouyang0212 shared this in another forum. A couple of our staple mixers we’re keen on getting this particular recipe from him. But this was all they managed. I’ll probably start with FA meringue and see how I like it. There was no suggested steep time or VG/PG. I’m guessing 2-4 weeks steep but possibly longer. While I usually enjoy 65/35 VG/PG, I believe 70/30 might be better for this type of mix. Hope this helps:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread