Flavor % max?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I don't know about you, but I find FA flavors to be quite strong. I've been using TFA for last month with excellent results. Also... I have a strawberry flavor titled: Red Touch. It's very dry tasting, so it might be a better fit for this last mix. I've used it before, but its note isn't quite as authentic as TFA Ripe.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I don't know about you, but I find FA flavors to be quite strong. I've been using TFA for last month with excellent results. Also... I have a strawberry flavor titled: Red Touch. It's very dry tasting, so it might be a better fit for this last mix. I've used it before, but its note isn't quite as authentic as TFA Ripe.
I like using the very strong concentrates at lower percentages, but thats me. FA Juicy Strawberry is more the ripe part of the strawberry while FA Red Touch is more the unripe or white part. I’ve found that I personally like mixing a 3:1 or 2:1 ratio of the two or mix one or both with another strawberry or berry or berry mix to get what I’m looking for. To get a well rounded fresh strawberry to your taste, I recommend playing around with 2, 3 or however many you need, strawberry or like flavors. I do mine much like I do my single flavor testing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hard to say what you will like, coming from commercial juices, I guess starting on the high side makes sense, although it MAY be too soon to say whether or not you like your juice until it's steeped some. It may change as you use it, and it steeps, or even as your tastebuds change a bit as you DIY. I have very few mixes where the flavoring percentage is above 10%, maybe a few and I'm a reluctant sweetener.

I would probably suggest mixing in less volume in the future for your next mix and some steep time etc. But, I'm glad you are enjoying what you are vaping NOW and hopefully some aging time will improve things, not worsen them. I guess the good news is, if the mix becomes too strong, dilution shouldn't be too hard since you are finding the flavors fairly well balanced (although that may also change as the mix ages.)

Best of luck and I'm glad it's working out for you.

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
It wasn't entirely untested. I modified a popular DIY Mother's Milk clone recipe to include cereal and milk. But yes, I started with 180ml. Had this been a ground-up formulation, I would have started with a lower quantity.

I'm vaping it now, and it is fantastic! Easily, an all-day vape. After sitting overnight, the Crunchy Cereal is coming forward, as is the Dairy Milk. I love the flavor of milk, but I have yet to mix a singular milk flavored liquid that I would describe as (to borrow the term) quaffable.

I'm skeptical of other's recipes even if they're popular. Partly because it's unlikely it will taste the same in my max VG mix. Mostly it's because I don't know whether the person making it or those liking it have my tastes.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Mostly it's because I don't know whether the person making it or those liking it have my tastes.
Since starting DIY, I’ve realised how differently we all taste. I mean, we know this but not to the extremes I’ve found to be factual.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Okay, I was vaping the pre Crunchy Cereal added mix... The Crunchy Cereal definitely helped tame the sweetness. I'll let this mix steep for a few days, then revisit. I'm vaping it now, an it tastes fantastic! Blows away Strawberry Donuts. I adjusted the mix to cut-back on the sweetness. 20% still seems high.
When I first started mixing it was not unusual for my mixes to fall in the 20-25% range if not using any super concentrates. As your palette adjusts you will find yourself lowering flavor percentages and sweetness. My recipes fall into the 14-9% range now and a few need tweaked to come down a touch more. Mix what tastes good and lower as needed.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Since starting DIY, I’ve realised how differently we all taste. I mean, we know this but not to the extremes I’ve found to be factual.

I learned with beer and homebrewing how much popularity drives popularity, that my tastes are not popular and I'm not willing to "acquire" the popular taste.

I also learned cutting back on sugar how much taste we acquire. For all I know my oldest recipes tweaked over the years taste really bad to others.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I also learned cutting back on sugar how much taste we acquire.
Sugar isn’t my friend in eating / drinking. Have to keep daily intake low if I want to be healthy, which I do! This might be one of the reasons my taste buds seem so different than others.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I don't like using sweeteners but did finally find one I like and is easy to work with, VTA sugar cane. So far hasn't muted any flavors, .5% is enough for me but most start with 1%. 100% better than any super sweet for me. Still use sweeter fruits like pear or fuji at low % to sweeten as well, but for citrus mixes liking the sugar cane better.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Sugar isn’t my friend in eating / drinking. Have to keep daily intake low if I want to be healthy, which I do! This might be one of the reasons my tastes buds seem so different than others.
I've been sneaking oatmeal cookies back into my non-diet diet. I made a batch using cranberries instead of raisins, and also cut back on the sugar. I'm going to make a batch this week using Uncle Sam Cereal and oats, just to up the health benefits. I'm concerned with the sympathetic release of insulin, via sweet e-liquid flavorings. Have you researched this at all?

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I've been sneaking oatmeal cookies back into my non-diet diet. I made a batch using cranberries instead of raisins, and also cut back on the sugar. I'm going to make a batch this week using Uncle Sam Cereal and oats, just to up the health benefits. I'm concerned with the sympathetic release of insulin, via sweet e-liquid flavorings. Have you researched this at all?
I have. The one’s made from sugar do transmit through vaping. However, it’s such a small amount it’s not a concern really IMO. If you actually drank your ejuice (which I’m not recommending) from your tank, even then it’d be such a small amount I don’t see it causing an insulin spike. Even if you chain vape, it’s just not enough. There may be some who are highly sensitive which it could possibly effect, but I’d say it’d be an extremely rare case. There’s been studies done but none were able to determine it’s a threat.
Not really related but interesting fact... A study showed that higher nicotine levels increase our HbA1c. (A red blood cell protein that carries oxygen through your body, joins with glucose in the blood, becoming glycated.) While it’s only a slight elevation for people without insulin issues, it could cause problems for those with.
Your cookies sound delicious:p I like baking using liquid stevia etc rather than powdered because the binder to make it powder has carbohydrates which break down into sugar. It’s not a lot, but sugar none the less. I wish I didn’t have to be concerned with such but my body doesn’t digest sugars well. All good though! I’ve become quite creative in preparing food that is just as good, if not better!

Last edited:

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I found a flavor profile for Meringue that backs my augmented Mother's Milk formula. Seems I didn't need to add Dairy Milk and Meringue together. For the next batch, I'll try Crunchy Cereal and Meringue alone, then add the Strawberry Ripe one drop at a time. I'd like to try simulating Trix cereal, but I'm not sure which fruit flavors to use? Lemon is one...

r/DIY_eJuice - FA Meringue

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I found a flavor profile for Meringue that backs my augmented Mother's Milk formula. Seems I didn't need to add Dairy Milk and Meringue together. For the next batch, I'll try Crunchy Cereal and Meringue alone, then add the Strawberry Ripe one drop at a time. I'd like to try simulating Trix cereal, but I'm not sure which fruit flavors to use? Lemon is one...

r/DIY_eJuice - FA Meringue
FLV tricks cereal
Fa silly rabbit

Commonly used fruits: blueberry, bilberry, raspberry, strawberry, lime.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
Letitia named some great ones! I recommend searching and reading other similar recipes to get an idea of the different ways mixers write these types. I’d also read the comments, where applicable, to see what others did and didn’t like in each particular mix. Taste is subjective but it’ll give you some idea to envision how you might like yours to come out.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
It's been three days now, and the (Mother's Milk Crunch Cereal is what I call it) flavor is really good! The thing that's odd though, is that it tastes different with each atomizer I use. I'm using a WASP squonk atty, Kayfun V4, and a Goon w/glass cap. The Goon with glass cap (so far) gives me the best flavor. I don't mean a little better, it's much better. All with fresh coils and cotton btw.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
It's been three days now, and the (Mother's Milk Crunch Cereal is what I call it) flavor is really good! The thing that's odd though, is that it tastes different with each atomizer I use. I'm using a WASP squonk atty, Kayfun V4, and a Goon w/glass cap. The Goon with glass cap (so far) gives me the best flavor. I don't mean a little better, it's much better. All with fresh coils and cotton btw.
That’s normal. Juice will always taste different in atty's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread