Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Disclaimer: This is likely to be long and rambling, my apologies.

I finally received my rig on Wednesday - eGo Twist! I had already read tips for first-time set up and made written notes to get started. It really tried my patience to have to wait to fully charge the batteries, but I managed to contain myself. I had purchased some juices in flavors that I thought I would love - flavors that I like in the "solid" counterparts, ie: coffee, chocolate, caramel...and tobacco. I loaded these in Nano clearos. (BTW - I really like the Nanos, I've already ordered a dozen more!). I was sad to discover that I really really really didn't like any of them. The tobacco flavors were the worst IMO - shocking. Cleaning/drying all of the clearos so that I can change flavors leads to more impatience. I next load up mint flavors, menthol (just in case), and licorice (I don't eat it IRL, but got it in a sample pack, so WTH). I've never been a menthol smoker, and I don't often chew gum - I was surprised to discover that these are much more tolerable. I actually enjoy the menthol and licorice flavors the most....really?!?! Go figure. After literally spending days in the general juice forum, I was very frustrated with the process of choosing juice. It seemed so elusive to get information that would convince me to choose decisively. Now I know why.
The eGo itself is great. I did a ton of research and read advice here on ECF. I am so glad to have the VV, it is nice to be able to fine tune the vape. The kit feels solid/quality without being too heavy. My criticisms are minor. I bought the stainless thinking the black rubberized finish might not last, but the stainless feels a bit clammy to me (I can wrap the batteries and use them until they die, then try the black next time). The led buttons are too bright, distractingly making my fingers glow when pressed.
I haven't had any gurgling or leakage issues, and I have kept them standing in a mug. I haven't taken them out into the world - I'm still a bit self-conscious about vaping in public, and I haven't decided just how to travel with them. I have to say that it is odd to me that I was not self-conscious about smoking in public, but somehow sucking on a metal tube makes me think twice...I'm sure I will eventually get over it. It has also been great to not have to go outside with it - I don't smoke in my home, and you can't smoke anywhere indoors in New York - another bonus for vaping!
I have saved out the tanks and carts until I find a juice that I really like. Dripping seems a bit advanced/tedious/possibly messy to me, so I'm sticking with the Nano clearos for now...they hold enough juice to last me for hours (tip - put the mouth piece on as fast as possible after adding juice, or at least that's what the site said), and they have been so far problem-free. I have refilled them when they get low without issue.
IMO juice is everything. I had thought that I would be able to tolerate any flavor at least temporarily - not true. The tobacco flavors were too utterly nasty. If I had only purchased those, I would have had to put the whole kit away despite the fact that I had purchased a great set up for me. My advice to anyone considering vaping - choose a wide variety of flavors, since flavor is most important initial impression...if the flavor literally makes you gag, the other aspects of the juice won't matter. I personally haven't had any issues with nic strength (I chose mostly 18 mg and some 12 mg to start, with one 24 mg) or PG reaction. I did purchase some juices with different PG/VG mixes, but that has not been a deciding issue so far. I was concerned that nic strength would be a huge issue, but it hasn't been - I vape for a shorter period of time than it takes to smoke a 'log, but vape more often than I would normally smoke. I suppose that my nic intake is basically the same - there doesn't seem to be any craving differences or physical withdrawal reactions. Perhaps I am subconsciously able to maintain the "needed" nic levels. I seem to prefer a bit more VG in the juice - it is somehow, indescribably, better to me (see how subjective and elusive juice is?). In the end, it has been worth it to me to buy some juices that I think I will never touch again in order to find some that I actually like. Of course, I have already placed orders with 2 more juice suppliers in the hunt for the perfect vape experience - I would say that one should expect to invest a bit of money and effort in the big juice search.
Here is another thing that I didn't expect: I find that vaping is smoother and nicer than smoking. I didn't realize, or I have become so used to it, that cigarette smoke is harsh in my throat. I would also recommend drinking water along with vaping - for me, it makes a difference especially with PG heavy juices.
In the end, it turns out that all of the frustration is worth it - I'm off to a great start. I haven't smoked a 'log since, and vaping is much more satisfying than I thought it could be. I thought I should keep the 'logs around just in case, but I don't need them - though YMMV. Many thanks to the ECF vets who share their wisdom, and thanks to the noobs who ask the questions that I haven't thought of. Can I consider myself a vaper now? I hope so.

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Sounds like you are off to a great start. Yes you are a vaper now. Good idea to note your thoughts 2 days in. I am now 8 weeks in and I still have not found that "perfect" juice. I have some that I thought I really loved - then a few days later - not so much.

That is another factor that really has affected me. After 46 years of smoking I am not sure if my taste buds will every fully recover, but getting use to vaping over smoking was very easy. Now the battle has been finding a juice delivery device that works consistantly and a juice that I can enjoy "every" day has been the biggest struggle for me.

I think I have found that 60vg/40pg works the best for me. Too much pg is to harsh and too much vg leaves a heavy feeling in my lungs. So don't throw out those juices you didn't like at first - you may find that in a few weeks you actually like them. So good luck and happy vaping :vapor:

Last edited:

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Congratulations and welcome to ECF! You're definitely a vaper, YESSS. I'm in my 11th month of smokelessness and have found several juices I considered THE one and only, but after a few weeks of vaping it my taste buds got tired of them and I continued my search. What I've concluded is that, for me at least, I have to rotate flavors in order to keep my taste buds interested. Right now my most favorite is Black Label Honey Flue Cured tobacco from Spring Vapor. I rotate with their Black Label RY4, Mixed Berry Frost, Winter Harvest Tobacco (menthol), and a few others.

Just keep searching and pretty soon you will find some flavors you'll enjoy.

Vape on!:vapor:

tiforever

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
A-town, TN
Thanks so much for your long explanation (I like a lot of words). I am now 3 days into it. I *had* to have a stinky this morning, happened to find one shining on the floor. It was utterly disgusting! The hardest thing for me is not walking outside to vape at home. I would, but the last week, my 2 year old has made it next to impossible (another reason to kick the stinkies). I am going to hold my hand up now and just say I am currently vaping on South Beach Smoke. I had no idea this world existed, so rest assured, I just ordered an eGo twist 900mah and several clearomizers (and replacement heads). I will see how I like the eGo when it comes in before I order another battery.

I know it will change, but I prefer the slim style (size of cigarette). Maybe if the taste is different, I won't mind so much. I have no qualms vaping in public, although I haven't had to yet.

Now I'm about to proceed into the world of juice. I think I'm going to buy samples, samples, samples. I'm a menthol smoker, so of course my SBS cartos are menthol and they taste outstanding. From what I've read, these are crap, so I can't wait to see what the "real" stuff is like. I had a problem with burnt/hot cartos already, so instead of going back and forth with SBS, I'll get my new stuff first. I think I'm going to try a wide variety of flavors, even some stuff I"m not sure I will like (i.e. coffee, etc). I looked at a thread of favorite juice vendors on this site, so I'm crossing my fingers that I will get the right ones.

Congrats, welcome from one noob to another. Happy Vaping!

akatina

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Greenville, SC
I think I'm going to try a wide variety of flavors, even some stuff I"m not sure I will like (i.e. coffee, etc). I looked at a thread of favorite juice vendors on this site, so I'm crossing my fingers that I will get the right ones.
Definitely try a variety. So far my favorites are all completely unrelated categories (RY4, cherry cola, mint) as are the ones I really don't like (cappuccino and blueberry).

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
You sound like you are very particular as am I. I think we all are. It can be very frustrating looking for that one all day vape. It took me around 50 different liquids to find that one great one. I haven't found another since despite trying many many more. I can sympathize with you on looking so forward to the next batch and feeling let down when you don't find the one. Good luck on your chase for your all day vape. I wish you all the best.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Hello all - thanks for all of your comments and encouragement.
KariM: I plan on keeping the nasty juices for now, but for the life of me can't believe I will return to them. I've taken to sniffing juices first, since it seems that my sense of taste is similar to my sense of smell. It is working for me so far. It's too bad we don't have scratch 'n sniff internets!
FrankLantern: Seconded! I didn't believe it until I lived it. I always disliked menthol cigarettes.
Spectrechief: I've already ordered more, even some fruit flavors which initally sounded gross. Maybe I'll be happily surprised.
Mitzeli: Way ahead of you - I figure if it could be a mint/gum flavor, I should give it a try. I have samples in the mail now! Thanks for the tip.
RosaJ: I'll keep searching. That mixed berry frost is sounding promising...hmmm
Tiforever: I hope it was helpful to some fellow noobs. I hated smoking around kids (didn't want to be a bad influence), and I think I would vape in the bathroom if I was around them again and couldn't get outside. I hope you like the eGo - it really isn't that big - I am happy with mine! I'm convinced lots of samples is the way to go. I skipped cartos for now, as explained in the OP. Maybe you could try the Nanos? I have had zero issues with them so far.
Akatina: This is good to hear. I'm now moving on to flavors I didn't think would be tasty, so maybe I'll find something great soon.
DanaA: I'm almost to 30 selections so far, so I guess maybe I only have 20 more to go. I suppose I could be picky, but hope I'm not impossible to please. Thanks!

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
Welcome Gosh to the fantastic world of Vapping !
I think everyone of us that was a smoker, thinks that they 'want a tobacco flavor.
Really- Tobacco 'flavored' E-juice is just as nasty as tobacco. I found that I liked 'Coffee' in the morring and 'Peach' or some other fruit flavor shortly thereafter. Tried some "Pineapple Ice" the other day-That was good too.
Tonight, I'm vapping "Maple Pecan" from Mt Baker Vapors, and it is fantastic...only got 50ml, going to order more.
I think your tastes will change, and that you should let your e-juices steep...they will change too.

Good luck to all of us.

shortee611

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Aylmer, On
I'm also new (2 days in) and feel your pain with finding the right juice. Although i did get lucky with a tobacco juice i like. It's black cherry tobacco from juicey juice. It tastes just like cherry pipe tobacco smells. Today i ordered a sample pack from Alice in Vapeland and Heather's Heavenly Vapes. Now the waiting game.....

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
oh my god this thread reads like an aa meeting. lol.

hi my name is dan and i'm on day5!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah.

my flavors tried so far are english toffee( very good until i burnt up a cartomizer and can't get the taste out of my memory.

load up 3ml of cristys cappacino... its kinda nutty(not like in austin powers but actually kinda nutty lol. won't order it again i fear.

i started of with a reo grand and am guessing i saved alot of frustration and money by going with a mod right of the bat. I would of never thought i could quit smoking this way, good luck to all. How much juice are you guys going through?and what amount of nicotine? i'm using 24mg and about 2ml. a day.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I find that Tobacco flavors are ok, but my favorite is the Captain Black tobacco flavoring. It's a liquid they spray on pipe tobacco to improve the flavor. If steeping does not work for a flavor, I find that mixing it with a tasty, but too strong flavor (fireball, Macadamia nut etc..) really helps in many cases. Some flavors will become more blended and mellow after a week or two of sitting and some will take on some sort of bitter taste. You just have to try them out to see and don't be afraid to blend a couple together and make them your own.

Lorddeff07

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
St Kitts & Nevis
I couldn't agree more!!!

I too am on my great juice hunt, though my approach is somewhat different. I vape each juice for at least 3-4 days. I literally vape the hell outta it. My reasoning is that while you may not like something initially, it may eventually grow on you and what you initially like may eventually become irritating. So basically, i give them time.

I've got an eGo 900mah PV with a 1.6ml clearo.... its basically the size of a cigar. For the first time since I started vaping I took it out for a house party..... people couldn't seem to stop asking me what that was and wondering why it smelt so good. I've probably converted like 20 people today... well, I dunno cause i didn't let any of them take a hit. Uh uh.... no chance in hell I'm swapping spit with 20 strangers (even if most of them were pretty hot :) )

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
oh my god this thread reads like an aa meeting. lol.

You got it! I just ordered samples from 3 more vendors today, determined to find something I really like.
I have probably gone through about 6-10 ml so far, but the flavors I can stand are 18mg or less...most of them less I think.
Good Luck all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread