• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Florida Vaping Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
As well some communities and their management or BoD's are or may now undertake to apply FL's recent irrationally contrived constitutional proscription on workplace vaping as the legal basis to abrogate individual ownership right in common property, elements or related services…as I cautioned some time ago. So if they can't do it top-down it will be bottom-up. Pretty much as expected, we're getting it.

Good luck. :)

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
NEW CASSA ALERT ! ! !

BAN ONLINE SALES TO FLORIDIANS:

A bill (SB 810) that would ban direct-to-consumer online sales is scheduled for the first of several committee meetings on

Monday, January 21, 2020
10:00 AM

Committee on Health Policy
Pat Thomas Committee Room, Rm 412
Knott Building
601-631 Duval St
Tallahassee, FL

Please take a moment to send a message to committee members. Below, CASAA is providing contact information, talking points, and a prewritten comment that you can customize and paste into your email.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I read the bill. There is no vaping or smoking within 1000 feet of a school unless you were in a car or on private property. There are schools around me but I wouldn't know how far away they are. I don't think I would move to a state where I can't mail order products unless that was true in every state. From what I see the whole thing looks very cumbersome. The penalties on retailers seem extreme and the penalties on kids very little. After all these years nobody did anything about kids smoking so now all of a sudden that's all going to change? Why do I doubt it?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I read the bill. There is no vaping or smoking within 1000 feet of a school unless you were in a car or on private property.
"(1) It is unlawful for any person under 21 years of age to smoke tobacco or vape in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the 22 real property comprising a public or private elementary, middle, 23 or secondary school"

I don't think that part would affect you (or me!). ;)

Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
"(1) It is unlawful for any person under 21 years of age to smoke tobacco or vape in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the 22 real property comprising a public or private elementary, middle, 23 or secondary school"

I don't think that part would affect you (or me!). ;)
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm thinking the more time that goes by maybe the Panic will settle down. How do we just delay them for a while?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm thinking the more time that goes by maybe the Panic will settle down. How do we just delay them for a while?
Personally, I refuse to panic over every bill that's introduced and then referred to some committee. There's a huge number of bills introduced in state legislatures (and even Congress) every year that get referred to committee and are never seen again thereafter.

But even if it passes and is signed by the Governor, it doesn't go into effect until after well after the FedGov's May 12th PMTA deadline, and then any mail-order restrictions are pretty much a moot point anyway.

Bottom line: I won't be selling my place in Florida over this even if it does pass. ;)

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Just As An FYI . . . .

UPDATE From CASSA:

(Updated - 01.30.20)
Two Bills, SB 810 (online sales ban) and SB 1394 (85% wholesale tax), are scheduled for a committee meeting on
Monday, February 3, 2020
1:30 PM

Committee on Innovation, Industry, and Technology
Tori Jennings Committee Room, Rm 110
Senate Building Building
Tallahassee, FL

.​

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Thanks @Uncle, beat me to it.

Here's the juris lingo…
Committee Contact Information:

Phone Email Twitter
Wilton Simpson (R)
Chair (850) 487-5010 simpson.wilton.web@flsenate.gov @WiltonSimpson
Lizbeth Benacquisto (R)
Vice Chair (850) 487-5027 benacquisto.lizbeth.web@flsenate.gov @lizbethkb

Rob Bradley (R) (850) 487-5005 bradley.rob.web@flsenate.gov @Rob_Bradley
Jeff Brandes (R) (850) 487-5024 brandes.jeff.web@flsenate.gov @JeffreyBrandes
Travis Hutson (R) (850) 487-5007 hutson.travis.web@flsenate.gov @TravisJHutson
Kathleen Passidomo (R) (850) 487-5028 Passidomo.Kathleen.web@flsenate.gov @Kathleen4SWFL
Randolph Bracy (D) (850) 487-5011 bracy.randolph.web@flsenate.gov @rbracy30
Oscar Braynon (D) (850) 487-5035 braynon.oscar.web@flsenate.gov @oscarjb2
Gary Farmer (D) (850) 487-5034 farmer.gary.web@flsenate.gov @FarmerForFLSen
Audrey Gibson (D) (850) 487-5006 gibson.audrey.web@flsenate.gov @SenAudrey2eet

Good luck all. :)

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
There are really two places I fear winding up in my dotage and it's CA an FL.

IDK why they have to suck so much but they do,

Well, I suppose with no workable house anywhere, I need not worry quite yet. LOL.

Anna
Having lived in Florida most of my life, I wish I could defend it. But, we have some of the most notorious politicians in the country and the people who keep electing them.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's okay even if they weren't in place, you would still be the place that had alligators, mosquitoes the size of trucks, and like, the everglades. Even that word sends shivers down my spine,. My parents wanted to go there SO MUCH.

I think they were trying to kill off a child possibly me,, because it is ALSO the state in which my parents allowed my security blanket to get LOST. I was weepy but she told me I could have "anything I wanted" if like, I just shut up about it.

I mean ANYTHING. A unicorn.. A pony. A house of my own in the back yard with an easy bake oven!

I CHOSE A LITEBRITE.

I don't know what was wrong with me, but the Lite bite was both cool, and the source of my biggest resentment, later.

There is no way a state is coming back from that. Elect who you want. I do not care. LOL I mean I care about YOU personally, but I ain't setting foot there EVER again,

Losing your transitional object SUCKS. I always tell parents to buy doubles if their kid has one (or more.) Unfortunately my son's was this vile black and white blanket I could not replace. Mr.Fluffy went to the surgery hospital on many occasions and I do not SEW voluntarily. But, he still has it, boxed up somewhere. This is because I was a good mom who would never vacation in FLORIDA

Anna

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
It's okay even if they weren't in place, you would still be the place that had alligators, mosquitoes the size of trucks, and like, the everglades. Even that word sends shivers down my spine,. My parents wanted to go there SO MUCH.
<snip>
Anna
Odd, the things you find deplorable about Florida aren't even on my list, as a long time Florida resident who would rather live elsewhere. In fact, one of them is even an attraction, although I live hundreds of miles from the Everglades.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Take it from someone who has a place to hang his hat in two other states as well, but chooses to spend as much time as possible in Florida: This state has issues/problems, as does every other state, but it also has redeeming qualities, like this sunrise the other day:

k7PoTbp.jpg

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Take it from someone who has a place to hang his hat in two other states as well, but chooses to spend as much time as possible in Florida: This state has issues/problems, as does every other state, but it also has redeeming qualities, like this sunrise the other day:
Florida doesn't own the patent on sunrises, nor sunsets.
OregonSunset.jpg

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Another FYI . . . .

UPDATE From CASSA - TODAY:

SB 1394, which would subject vapor products to an 85% wholesale tax and SB 810, which would ban online sales, are scheduled for a hearing on

Thursday, February 20, 2020
9:00 AM
S. Committee on Appropriations
Knott Building, Room 412
601 - 631 S. Duval St.
Tallahassee, FL

Please make plans to attend this hearing. Even if you do not plan to speak, your presence is important as it demonstrates the large numbers of people affected by this legislation.

Prior to the meeting, please take a moment to make contact with your officials urging them to reject SB 1394.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Seems clear to me that the bureaucrats in FL are intent on destroying the vaping industry unimpeded by any in the legislature. None of the "hearings" I've observed have yielded anything constructive regardless of the favorable testimony of those contributing from our community.

The legislative session has ended and

are headed to Gov DeSantis for signature.

While it's still unclear to me if SB 1394 in full is passed [believe 3/5], it will take effect on the adoption of SB 810.

What will result is [finally] the formal fictional re-definition of vaping as tobacco (smoking) by edict and the effective ban of virtually all vaping products for sale.

I hesitate to even ask but we all of us should appeal to him to VETO this human atrocity if only as a matter of principle.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread