'Folded' Kanthal Ribbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mob1900

Jan 12, 2013
kl
My first post on my new find though I'm sure I'm not the first with this idea.
Concept is simple, fold a ribbon kanthal of same length to get the 'twisted kanthal effect', shelving the resistance into half.

01foldedribbonkanthal.jpg

02foldedribbonkanthal.jpg

03foldedribbonkanthal.jpg

04foldedribbonkanthal.jpg

05foldedribbonkanthal.jpg

06foldedribbonkanthal.jpg

07foldedribbonkanthal.jpg

08foldedribbonkanthal.jpg

BTW I only have ribbon kanthal 0.4mm x 0.1mm but with folding, I get a 0.8mm x 0.1mm and inherits its attributes. A 0.4mm ribbon kanthal gives an equivalent of a 32awg kanthal at 1.2 ohms/inch. With this folding I get resistance near 0.4-0.5 ohms/inch and twice the surface which means 2x the heat because of its width. You will need a fast-wicking mesh/wick though because of its responsiveness and intense heat. plus ribbon kanthal is a pleasure to wrap with little to no hotspots (dunno why, might be it's because of the flat surface hugging the mesh surface im not sure).
I'm just sharing this not trollin', for real :D
Enjoy!

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
If it would allow me to get access to this type of wire quicker, I would totaly buy a cheap toaster to dismantle - but who knows what kind of wire is in it!

I have been thinking about just taking some 30 awg kanthal and hammering it flat on my anvil. Maybe I'll get around to that sometime this week.

mob1900

Jan 12, 2013
kl
I noticed that too, it would take 1.6 feet of wire for a 1.8ohm coil if it's right.

rotfl!

anyway, the correct resistance for 0.4mm x 0.1mm is around 0.8 ohms/inch, sitting somewhere between a Kanthal A-1 30 awg and 31 awg. Sorry I forgot to put the ohm/inch of the ribbon kanthal I was using. Just remember I'm showing a 'folded' ribbon kanthal and not a normal ribbon kanthal wrap, you will be cutting the resistance by half and will be vaping at high WATTAGE. Error codes and low-resistance warning from APV (those with PCBs) will pop up. Recommended using mechanical mods and high-drain batteries because you will be draining not just batteries but ejuices as well(hence the need for a fast-wicking mesh). Bigger air-holes on your atties(I just file my AGA-T2 air-hole from a 1.2mm to 2mm, no drills required) is recommended as well and last, 'Pulse-vaping', pulse-vape to break in your ribbon kanthal coils, you can hold the button longer for lung-drags once it's settled in.

oh ya before I forget, here's where I bought my ribbon kanthal :
Kanthal D Ribbon - Zivipf Onlineshop

very efficient and fast. love it came with properly wrapped spools.
Vape safe, guys. :)

Nocturin

Mar 20, 2013
United States

I ordered that thursday, got it sat. Using it right now. Fantastic wire that made this new newbies first coil build much easier. I was able to work the hot-spot/hotlead out with a little wiggling, with the other 32g kanthal I ordered, I wasn't able to prevent arching or the hot post lead.

Thank you for clarifying, we have all misplaced a decimal at some point.

Crappy picture, but http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/398315-aga-t2-trial-error-coils-wicks-8.html#post9260356 shows the wire that I ordered.

That's a 1.4 Ω coil :). I need higher though, because it's easy to burn this juice and it doesn't like to be burnt.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread