For the smart people

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaron

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
lima,Ohio
Hey guys....as some of the people that have been here for over a year know....I have been a chef for quite awhile, last summer I took a process control course and last week I got hired at the ethanol plant here in town as a process operator. Our plant isn't up and running yet but the second week of april when we get the plant online there is ABSOLUTELY no smoking at work (12 hour swing shifts) not even in the cars in the parking lot. I think they ate afraid of the place exploding or something Haha. My question is...do you think vaping might be alright? Obviously not out in the process areas! But is there any kind of spark or arc of any kind with these things?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

maaron

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
lima,Ohio
Hey mark! Yea don't have too much time to get on here lately but I am still going strong! Over a year with no cigs! I am going to ask our safety manager about it but figured I would try and get some answers here first.
Hey maaron nice to see you bud! There shouldnt be any sparks but I'd definitely ask first

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I vape while pumping gas and I haven't had any trouble.....yet.....

Is that why your hands are on fire? j/k

I would ask about it. The only problem I could forsee is with atty's and dripping. The element in the atty that heats up would be my only worry even though it doesn't shoot flames or sparks. I'd definitely ask. I'd hate to lose a good job over it. You can always go sit in your car and stealth vape on breaks. Good luck catching you do that...LOL.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
In theory, there's a spark every time you hit the button on a manual or inhale/activate an auto battery.

In practice, it's contained and enclosed. In reality you're going to have trouble convincing them it's IECEx compliant. And it's for certain your car in the parking lot isn't either!

I finally had a battery go run-away in my pocket the other day. Ouchie! But I was in the lab, and got to slap a temperature probe on it. 171 degrees F was its peak before the battery eventually went flat. Far less than the surface of the engine block of your car!

As a general rule of thumb, ban everything with zero tolerance and then there's no argument or question. It's the safest thing to do to prevent failure modes that could be pretty ugly. And the plant safety manager doesn't wanna be the one to explain why there's electrical equipment in use in his plant that doesn't have IECEx certification. (And I couldn't remember what it stood for without looking it up either. International ElectroTechnical Commission for Certification for Standards Relating to Equipment for use in Explosive Atmospheres) PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Crappy Industry Acronyms...

maaron

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
lima,Ohio
My wife and baby are going very good. She is almost 10 months old! (My daughter Haha) that's cool Mary kay! Is it johnson and Wales in Rhode island? Yea tell him to get used to it....everywhere I go people want me to cook or atleast ask a bunch of questions! It just wasn't making me happy anymore.
Maaron, It's nice to see you again..how's your wife and baby?
Off Off topic, My son was promoted to head cook and almost accredited as chef at the after care nursing home he works for and my grandson was accepted at a culinary school in Rhode Island. I have it made in the shade when I decide to quit cooking!

DataPhreak

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2009
A, A
You might want to check the flash point on whatever kind of chemicals/vapors you're working around. While the likelyhood of the ecig setting it off is slim, it is possible. Juice vaporizes at around 3-400 degrees, so anything with a flashpoint below 400 you're probably out of luck. However, keep in mind that it is brought to that temperature through electrolysis, that is, the passing of electricity through the juice, not by the temperature of the atomizer itself, and by the time the vapor reaches your mouth, it's surely much much cooler than that. That being said, what other kinds of electronic devices are banned? If it's a significantly large list that includes relatively odd items, such as radios/tvs/cellphones/mp3 players, i wouldn't even attempt it.

maaron

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
lima,Ohio
Yea there is only going to be a few areas where we can use our cell phones once we are up and running. A lot of the people are going to be using snuss but I didn't know if I would want to use it or not. Fir anyone that has tried it...is it pretty nasty or what? I know you are supposed to be able to swallow it and not have to spit but does it mess with your stomach at all?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
It's not bad really, I tried some from US General, I really like the mint flavor, I forget what it's called, and since you put it in your upper lip you don't generate as much saliva.
I was also shown some "No "bacco" the other day, it's a can of chew without tobacco in it?
There is also the patch and Nicorete if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread