Fort Smith Arkansas Library bans e-cigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Please read this, and try to make sense of it. I thought huh, what, excuse me? I assume they were seeing snuff, or chewing tobacco spit into the restrooms.

FORT SMITH — Visitors to the Fort Smith Public Library will no longer be able to puff on electronic cigarettes while browsing through books.
The library's board of trustees voted Tuesday to ban the e-cigarettes, which resemble traditional cigarettes but emit vapor instead of smoke. According to the Southwest Times Record, the board also voted to ban smokeless tobacco.
The library's previous policy only banned smoking.
Library Director Jennifer Goodson said the main library and branch library had reported the use of electronic cigarettes by patrons. Officials said the smokeless tobacco ban came about because some library patrons were spitting it out in the bathrooms and making a mess.

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Would appreciate a broken link to your source. Although you red-high-lighted a comment, that does not give the full story/'rationale'.

As an 'evil' v-vert (vaping convert) recruiter and rabid vaping supporter, I truly do believe that we at da ECF, at times, pick n' poke/propagandize just like da ANTS! Kinda reminds me of da recent political BS!

C'on folk, we can, and NEED, to do better than any sensationalism utilized by 'others'. "Hey knee, just jerk. Thanx!" Or should dat be da other way 'round...?
bad-idea.gif

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
affiliates. eblastengine .com/go.aspx?b=906721&l=10327523&c=96876351

Would appreciate a broken link to your source. Although you red-high-lighted a comment, that does not give the full story/'rationale'.

As an 'evil' v-vert (vaping convert) recruiter and rabid vaping supporter, I truly do believe that we at da ECF, at times, pick n' poke/propagandize just like da ANTS! Kinda reminds me of da recent political BS!

C'on folk, we can, and NEED, to do better than any sensationalism utilized by 'others'. "Hey knee, just jerk. Thanx!" Or should dat be da other way 'round...?
bad-idea.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Well, since the link led to a login screen, I am imagining that it may be due to two reasons. First, people complaining about odors/smoke would be annoying. Easier to ban it. Second, there may be some issue with the vapor and books. I know that they are extremely protective about rare books. I don't know what exhaled vapor would do to a book over time. I know this sounds lame, but please remember that there is no 'right' to vape. Any establishment has every right to ban it. Sorry, just the way it is.

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
The voted to ban 1) vapting and 2) smokeless tobacco (chew/snuff).

The latter sentence that you highlighted is about 2) smokeless tobacco. In what you posted, no rationale is given for banning 1) vaping.

omgosh, LOL, how did I miss that???????

I blame the pina coladas,,,,,,,,,,

I may or may not have had 3.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Please read this, and try to make sense of it. I thought huh, what, excuse me? I assume they were seeing snuff, or chewing tobacco spit into the restrooms.

FORT SMITH — Visitors to the Fort Smith Public Library will no longer be able to puff on electronic cigarettes while browsing through books.
The library's board of trustees voted Tuesday to ban the e-cigarettes, which resemble traditional cigarettes but emit vapor instead of smoke.
According to the Southwest Times Record, the board also voted to ban smokeless tobacco.

The library's previous policy only banned smoking.
Library Director Jennifer Goodson said the main library and branch library had reported the use of electronic cigarettes by patrons.
Officials said the
smokeless tobacco ban came about because some library patrons were spitting it out in the bathrooms and making a mess.

I think you're reading wrong, smokeless tobbacco = snuff, chewing tobbacco.
They gave reasons why they banned smokeless tobbacco, the mess.
They didn't give reasons why vaping was banned.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas

^^^this^^^ it seems they just lumped vaping in with the tobacco ban without giving reason.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
I suppose I did read it wrong. The headline was a little misleading. "Fort Smith library approves ban on e-cigarettes"

Bryan lord

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2013
Ct
www.blendsbybryce.com
I still don't get why people vape inside public buildings. I'd be so embarrassed to be blowing "smoke" in front of all those shocked civilians. Maybe the fact that I wasn't around for the smoking indoors days has something to do with it. I have a faded memory of a smoking section in friendlys but that's about it.

-Lord

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have absolutely _zero_ problems with not being allowed to vape in an establishment where smoking is not permitted.
So let's say your in a hospital room (God forbid) due to a broken leg or something.
It's a room that isn't shared by anyone else for that matter.

Still good to go?
Not me. Not by a longshot.

Luckily, there are some hospitals that will let you vape in your room.
I hope anyone that gets a broken leg is lucky enough to wind up in such a hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread