Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2009
Hamlin, New York, USA
Been making some DIY using strictly VG.

Mixing 50mg VG with plain ol USP VG to make 25mg VG.

Adding some DW and PGA per the excel calculator (thanks Scubadatdan)
and some lorann's and PA flavorings.

Now while I can taste the flavor ( not super strong ) ive been noticing an unpleasant stale-like odor coming from the vapor.

Any ideas what this would be?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Been making some DIY using strictly VG.

Mixing 50mg VG with plain ol USP VG to make 25mg VG.

Adding some DW and PGA per the excel calculator (thanks Scubadatdan)
and some lorann's and PA flavorings.

Now while I can taste the flavor ( not super strong ) ive been noticing an unpleasant stale-like odor coming from the vapor.

Any ideas what this would be?

First, all flavor companies will put out flavors that some like and others don't. I happen to love most of the Capella's I have, and in general better than the Loranns I have, but there are some exceptions where Loranns are better to me. Its not the company, its the compounds they choose for a particular flavor.

Your problem might not be the flavor itself, but your cart/atty performance.

What is the PV? And are you using stock fluval for the filler? A poorly wicking fluval cart will do this.

How good were you at getting commercial flavored juices to vape and give taste consistently?

Is the atty clean? Some flavors get into the electronics and give that atty a stale taste after a while. Some flavors start out that way. Its this reason I don't like Lorann coconut. It tastes "tired" to me.

Is it on all attys, or just one?

I use VG only juices too, but I don't use alcohol for thinning, just DW. that said some flavors do have alcohol, like Lorann cheesecake. I doubt alc is your problem though.

What flavors are doing this, and what vol % are they in your juice? I have not used PA yet, but have an order on the way. Mine have been Lorann and Capella.

Give some more details here, and we should be able to zero in on this.

Orion

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2010
Central Florida
I've had the old fluid in my atty stale taste. Never had a stale taste from alcohol though and no problems from the LorAnn flavors I do have, even though I haven't tried a lot of them(or PA's)

I also use mostly VG in my juice and so far so good. But I should note that my stuff is less than a month old.

Ragman, Hamlin, NY is my husbands hometown :thumbs:

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
I do mostly, if not all PG.

I have standard 510 attys and KR808D-1 cartos, many of each.

I tried Capella's "Hot Cinnamon Candy Flavoring" seeking out an alternative for Lorann "Cinnimon Oil". The stuff was nasty.

I used 10%, and then 20%. 20% 100mg PG, all the rest PG, with just a few drops of VG. This is pretty standard for my mixes as of late.

These were flops.

The attys were fine with any other flavors, and mixes I have made before, and after (510 after a flush for the after). I pitched the carto, as I didn't want to clean it out.

Any suggestions?

What is your standard recipe?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
In the beginning of my vaping journey, like everyone else, I used PG liquids. I didn't like the taste of any of them, and soon realized for me it was largely the PG itself. Kind of a sour taste, and not pleasant. People complain about VG juices having no flavor, but this is simply not my experience. People love the taste of my DIYs, and can readily identify what the flavors are.

I personally make juices with a pretty standard recipe:

100 mg VG
VG
10% DW
10-15% Flavor

I vape normally at around 11 mg. My goto flavors are:

Lorann Cheesecake (rocks!)
Lorann Bavarian Cream (rocks!)
Capella Vanilla Custard...but I'm out now.
Capella Raspberry
Capella Double Chocolate
Capella Toasted Almond
Caramel (Lorann and Capella, very different, both good)
Pralines and Cream (Lorann and Capella, also very different, and both good)
Vermont Vapor 36 mg VG Cool Mint...use that as a base for making choc mint...York Peppermint Patties!
Also do a Lorann English Toffee and Black Walnut mix. Very nice.

PA order is on the way, so I'll have more recipes to waste my time with. ;)

I use a 510 atty/cart on a Bartleby 3.7V box mod. The cart filler is Aquaclear aquarium foam, which is very similar to blue foam. Or else a ZFM mod. They vape about the same to me. Aquaclear is a bit better, though, I think. All sorts of nasty tastes developed with the stock fluval, and I think the lower voltage of the 510 batts also lend to not vaporizing everything well. Funk happens with juice on the coil over time. I just used the polydent cleaning method of Shortstuff and others, and brought several lost-cause attys back to full clean life.

If the vape is funky, it might be an atty that wants a bath.

Some flavors do decompose with time. Fruits can become nasty after about 6 months, and the nic-juice bottle doesn't have to be opened. They can react with water over time to make vinegar-like and wet-dog-like compounds. I make my juices fresh and have generally no more than 40 mL of various flavors going at once.

Orion

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2010
Central Florida
I found that the pg was waaaay too thin. I drip and it would only take like 3 drops to get a gurgle on my atty (510), so I switched to vg to cut my nic. I've only ordered pg based nic, so it's not entirely pg free.

But I have to say I like the consistency of the VG.

I use mostly PA's flavors. And I have a few LorAnn's. When I can fit it into the budget (I need some batteries first!) I'm going to try some other companies, just to see.

Ragman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2009
Hamlin, New York, USA
I think it may be my flavors which are doing it.

I do NOT get this stale smell with vendor made ejuice in the same atty so I know its my DIY and not the atty.

I make some PA caramel - which doesnt have it

Seems I only have it when mixing up some of my loranns flavors ( Bavarian Creme, Vanilla Butternut, Chocolate hazelnut, English toffee, Peanut Butter )

I think the culprit is the peanut butter which Im bummed about cause I was looking to make a 555 recipe and bought a large bottle of it.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I think it may be my flavors which are doing it.

I do NOT get this stale smell with vendor made ejuice in the same atty so I know its my DIY and not the atty.

I make some PA caramel - which doesnt have it

Seems I only have it when mixing up some of my loranns flavors ( Bavarian Creme, Vanilla Butternut, Chocolate hazelnut, English toffee, Peanut Butter )

I think the culprit is the peanut butter which Im bummed about cause I was looking to make a 555 recipe and bought a large bottle of it.

Ah, I see. I have not tried Lorann PB, but some Lorann flavors do this. Pistachio, and I love eating the nuts, was HORRID!! Pecan is also a bit strange and can give a sickly taste.

Also, what VG are you using? Generic glycerin, like HUMCO/CVS brand gave a flavor I was not fond of at all. I use Heritage VG from Whole Foods, and its great. Sweet but utterly flavorless. There really is a difference between VGs, and some are not even VG, just G, and are made synthetically or from animal fats, and thus require different processes and have different tastes because of the composition of that little 0.5% that is not G. Some even feel sick with generic G.

I would try getting some quality VG, like Heritage. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but one or two dollars for a month's worth of juices, at least, is not going to break the bank, and might fix the problem. My VG DIYs are always very tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread