ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Just to be clear, that picture at least, is of the old rubber grommets, not the new silicone grommets. You did say rubber in the title, and by "new" I guess you mean replacements. :) Kanger is using new silicone grommets in their heads now that won't release any nasty taste in the vape when heated (which comes from ubber), and shouldn't even char, assuming they use the high grade silicone with a rating of 500F.

That said, sometimes sites don't update their pics and many of us are waiting for Kanger to make the new silicone grommets available as spare parts, rather than having to buy a new head to get them.

So when you receive these it would be nice to know if they indeed are the old rubber grommets, or the new silicone grommets. The old ones are opaque white'ish and fairly hard to the touch. The new ones are clearish-cloudy-white and feel squishier. :)

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I am aware kanger has 'newer' gromets. That is exciting stuff, especially if thet are improvements on the older style gromets. I Do not tend to burn mine however I read a lot about 'yucky burnt flavor' issues. I am just pleased to have found replacement in the event I may need one-and now if that becomes an issue for me, I wont have to buy new heads :)

If they happen to be the newer gromets-even better!!!
Just to be clear, that picture at least, is of the old rubber grommets, not the new silicone grommets. You did say rubber in the title, and by "new" I guess you mean replacements. :) Kanger is using new silicone grommets in their heads now that won't release any nasty taste in the vape when heated (which comes from ubber), and shouldn't even char, assuming they use the high grade silicone with a rating of 500F.

That said, sometimes sites don't update their pics and many of us are waiting for Kanger to make the new silicone grommets available as spare parts, rather than having to buy a new head to get them.

So when you receive these it would be nice to know if they indeed are the old rubber grommets, or the new silicone grommets. The old ones are opaque white'ish and fairly hard to the touch. The new ones are clearish-cloudy-white and feel squishier. :)

jocat54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lindale, Texas

Hi Trayce,
I received these from Lightning Vapes a week or so ago and the label on the bag says "silicone resistance coil insulator"
but they are an opaque whitish. Haven't used any of them yet though

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Hi Trayce,
I received these from Lightning Vapes a week or so ago and the label on the bag says "silicone resistance coil insulator" but they are an opaque whitish. Haven't used any of them yet though

Hey jocat.... :) Maddening when there are different grades of rubber and silicone. Maybe this is an improved composition from the old ones, but if they are not clear'ish to any extent at all, (cloudy-clearish), then they have little food grade silicone in them, if any, it would seem. Let's hope that regardless they don't char as easily or stink like the old ones. But the word "silicone" on the packaging could mean industrial grade silicone.
Guess we'll see eventually. In the meantime I am sticking with food grade silicone tubing.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I ordered these a while ago and they work great. The package does say silicone. I'm glad to hear Sean confirmed it. I had written him a note suggesting he add silicone to the product description on his website if they were indeed silicone. Just looked and he did change the description.

Also, the ones I've gotten (3 packs worth) look way better than the pic on the page. They are whiter, and crisper (without the little scraps of silicone hanging off the edges).

Last edited:

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Super! Mine arrive tomorrow and this will make all my new coils that much better!!!
I ordered these a while ago and they work great. The package does say silicone. I'm glad to hear Sean confirmed it. I had written him a note suggesting he add silicone to the product description on his website if they were indeed silicone. Just looked and he did change the description.

Also, the ones I've gotten (3 packs worth) look way better than the pic on the page. They are whiter, and crisper (without the little scraps of silicone hanging off the edges).

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Yes... I just spoke to Sean there and he confirmed that they are silicon. Now I just wish my gf was too!!! Lol

LOL! :)

The thing is, there are different grades of silicone... there is industrial silicone and there is medical/food grade silicone. Food grade silicone is always whitish-clearish-cloudy like the silicone cup that sits on the stem or chimney on top of a head.

The original o-rings in a PT2 are food grade silicone, as is the o-ring on the head at the base of the threads. In fact the only thing that ISN'T is the stinky rubber opaque grommet (positive post insulator).

Industrial grade silicone will be colored in some way (solid white or neon or whatever) because only food grade can be cloudy-clearish white by law so that it is visually identifiable.

When looking for silicone tubing I found "silicone tubing" that was the perfect size, made for hobby aircraft fuel lines. I was all set to buy it when I noticed it had a cancer warning that you should wash your hands after handling it. Turned out it was industrial grade silicone, not food grade. So just because something is marked "silicone" isn't enough. It has to specify it is medical or food grade silicone.

Now maybe this stuff is but it has to be clearish like the silicone cup on the stem... and I still don't have a clear idea if it is or not.... ? Opaque means you cannot see through it at all. Cloudy-whitish-clearish is what they should be... like they should change color and look grayish when you put the insulator post in them, because the color of the post will be somewhat visible.

Other test is, if you are dry burning and a bit of smoke rises from the grommet, do you smell anything?? If food grade silicone, you shouldn't.

EDIT: Also, I wish Lightening Vapes would update their pic, because that HAS to be a pic of the old rubber ones... those are def opaque and not silicone (in the picture I mean - or that's how they look) unless they are industrial grade.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal

Hey Spazmelda.... are they cloudy white, or solid (completely opaque) white?

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
They are opaque white. image.jpg

As far as I know silicone can be opaque, translucent, whatever.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
They are opaque white. View attachment 279630

As far as I know silicone can be opaque, translucent, whatever.

Thanks for the pic!!

Yes silicone can, but not food grade silicone. Food grade means it won't interact with your juice or leach chemicals. I will be passing on these myself.

But if someone has a link to show that medical/food grade silicone can be opaque I would be interested to see that. According to everything I read, by law it is clearish cloudy white to visually distinguish it from non-food grade.

(The other reason I am so adamant about using medical/food grade is because it has a higher temp rating... the tube I bought is resistant to 500F. And I dry burned some micro-coils to get some gunky NET off them with the silicone tube I am using, and one of the micro-coils had a bad wrap and got a hot leg so it was smoking the grommet on one side.... no smell but it smoked so much I thought for SURE when I took the head apart the silicone would be scorched. There was the tiniest brownish pinhead-sized dot on the lip, but when I wiped it with my finger it went away. Rinsed it under the faucet and couldn't even tell it was ever used prior. Put it in my new rebuild and it's still great. I doubt that will be the case with the opaque grommets above, but would be happy to be proven wrong.)

IAC if it works for you, that's all that matters!! :)

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I found several rubber molding manufacturers online that have info about ordering injection molded pieces in FDA food grade silicone (and also medical grade). They state that it can come in a variety of colors including white. My husband just bought some high temp resistant spatulas yesterday that are made of silicone, and they are opaque white. Maybe you said before, but where did you get the information that food grade silicone could only be translucent? I tried looking, but couldn't find that information.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I found several rubber molding manufacturers online that have info about ordering injection molded pieces in FDA food grade silicone (and also medical grade). They state that it can come in a variety of colors including white. My husband just bought some high temp resistant spatulas yesterday that are made of silicone, and they are opaque white. Maybe you said before, but where did you get the information that food grade silicone could only be translucent? I tried looking, but couldn't find that information.

Someone asked me that before (forget who) and like I told him, when I was looking for medical/food grade silicone tubing I spent a few nights reading through literally dozens and dozens of websites... some silicone manufacturers, FDA pdf's, etc.... this was a month ago so I cannot tell you now but it wasn't one website. It was the distillation of a lot of information from various professional, industrial sites (not Wiki or the like). The understanding I came away with was that rubber and silicone that meet different classifications are color-coded per FDA standards to make them visually identifiable, particularly medical/food grade materials. Different grades meet different FDA specs e.g. "Class IV" or the like. (For example even within medical grade silicone there are three types... one for external use, one for temporary implants and one for permanent implants, each meeting a different FDA classification.)

In the midst of this I also learned that black rubber washers, for instance, made for a faucet are rated EPDM, which is a lesser rating than food grade, because they are only supposed to handle water... not chemicals like we have in food substances. Within EPDM there are many classifications, but all are black. Food grade rubber orings are colored orange per FDA standards... a higher classification than EPDM. (And if you notice some tank vendors that let you pick your tank parts often offer black or orange orings... and they specifically state the black rings are EPDM... always better to go with FDA-orange between those two, but silicone is even better.) And the food grade silicone orings are.... yes, you guessed it. Clearish cloudy white, like the orings in the PT2, both on the head and in the base and top gutters.

I was not looking to special order silicone from a manufacturer and I do not know the laws for asking for a special order of medical grade silicone to be colored in some fashion for the specific purposes of a company. I was looking for info on readily available o-rings, washers, and tubing from the local hardware store, grocery store, etc. and how to identify medical/food grade silicone over other grades.

So that's the tail I was chasing, and I then found the silicone tubing for beer making.... medical/food grade, rated to 500F and clearish cloudy white. It met the criteria of the FDA spec I was looking for.

I am not a chemist and my understanding is limited to only what I read that night. But because of what I read that night, unless the makers of these grommets specifically state they are made from food grade silicone and not just "silicone" I have no reason to believe it is food grade silicone, myself. YMMV!!

Finally, the tube I found is cheaper, I am sure it is the proper grade, and works great for me. :) So I'm not very motivated. :D

Bottom line.... I don't personally believe these grommets are food grade silicone but I could be totally wrong and I admit that readily and without equivocation. And if it were proved they were food grade, I'd think, "huh." And that's all I got. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread