Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I have a relatively small stash of nic. This includes a 500ml plastic bottle full of 100% in vg. I'm understanding that it's preferable to separate that and freeze it in glass bottles but I don't have any decent sized bottles.
Can I separate it into canning jars and freeze it that way? If so how much empty space do I need to leave for expansion?
Thanks for any help!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I have a relatively small stash of nic. This includes a 500ml plastic bottle full of 100% in vg. I'm understanding that it's preferable to separate that and freeze it in glass bottles but I don't have any decent sized bottles.
Can I separate it into canning jars and freeze it that way? If so how much empty space do I need to leave for expansion?
Thanks for any help!

Only water expands when frozen.
No empty space required.

PG/VG/nicotine will not freeze at temperatures created by consumer level freezers.

Cheers
I

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Can I separate it into canning jars and freeze it that way?

Canning jars are not airtight, are they? I strongly suggest getting four 125 ml glass (or two 250 ml) bottles with appropriate phenolic caps (polyseal cone liner) to freeze.

You can find all the information about handling, storing, and freezing nic in this thread:

Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Thank you. I read through 10 pages and plan a reading marathon to read the whole thread.
Can someone tell me the best place to order my bottles? When @Rossum did his first experiment it was in unopened bottles. Then he bought a larger bottle and separated it but didn't say where he got his bottles. I have limited funds so I can't just buy the first bottles I come across.
Again thanks for any help.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thanks for any help!

Not to be ‘that guy’ but I’m guessing you meant to say 100 mg/ml rather than 100% nic. 100% nic is dangerous and requires a lot of protection. I just don’t want to let this go, in case some newbie wanders into this thread and decides to grab some nic and thinks that’s okay.

And I get my bottles from Amazon, but you can get them directly from Glass Bottle Outlet also.

https://www.amazon.com/pack-Amber-B...utlet+boston+bottle+4oz&qid=1571486200&sr=8-2

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Canning jars are not airtight, are they?
If the rubber gaskets under the lids are in good shape, they should be. Back in the day, people would re-use the jars and the metal lids almost endlessly and just buy new rubber gaskets.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Only water expands when frozen.
No empty space required.

PG/VG/nicotine will not freeze at temperatures created by consumer level freezers.
That's all correct. But there's a small risk with no headspace at all. If the sealed bottles ever get to a temperature higher than what they were sealed at, for example due to a prolonged power outage in the summer, no headspace will result in a huge pressure rise and possible bursting. A little bit of headspace mitigates that risk.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Can someone tell me the best place to order my bottles?

If you only need 4 or 5 bottles, this is a good place:

4 oz Amber Boston Round Glass Bottle with Black Cap

Their cart lets you calculate shipping price based on your zip and weight of the bottles--you should be able to get it shipped for 7 bucks or so. You can't beat the price of the bottles. :)

THose are 4 oz bottles, so a bit less than 125 mg, but close enough.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
If the rubber gaskets under the lids are in good shape, they should be. Back in the day, people would re-use the jars and the metal lids almost endlessly and just buy new rubber gaskets.

I agree, if we're talking about the old-time old-country Weck jars; those have beautiful glass lids and perfect seals. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Weck-741-Lit...s=weck+glass+containers&qid=1571487996&sr=8-6

@Anise if you own Weck jars, go for it. If you have plain old Mason jars, read this first:

The problem with Mason jars

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
I agree, if we're talking about the old-time old-country Weck jars; those have beautiful glass lids and perfect seals. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Weck-741-Lit...s=weck+glass+containers&qid=1571487996&sr=8-6

@Anise if you own Weck jars, go for it. If you have plain old Mason jars, read this first:

The problem with Mason jars

I use Mason Jars, with plastic lids, and plumbers tape on the threads. I tested it out with water first, and no I don't get silicone tape in the jar when opening, and they do not leak. I recommend you test out the jars you have using water first, and see just how airtight they are (or how airtight you can get them). I couldn't justify spending money on bottles when I have boxes and boxes of mason jars already. I put the jar in a brown paper lunch bag, then bubble wrap and in a ziploc.

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
Plastic lids and tape are fine. My issue is with metal lids that rust and contain bisphenol. I wouldn't use those.

Me either! Those are meant to be sealed with heat. They aren't airtight AT ALL without being processed (either water bath or pressure canner), and you sure don't want to do that to your nic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread