kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA

w1ngz

Oct 23, 2010
Montreal, Canada
I'd just like to redirect the topic of this thread a little bit... like most any forums, I guess there are people who jump to conclusions based solely on the subject, and not reading the first post.

My question was not about whether I should choose to freeze my juice.

My question is whether or not it would degrade the liquid when an order is left in the mailbox all day, beyond my control, in freezing temperatures. That can sometimes mean -20C/0F, or colder, which is a lot lower than it is in a freezer.

It seems it's not bad for it, so I won't worry it. Thanks all!

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I think we all read it (I did). The point is, you can't freeze pure PG even at -38C. Probably no effect, except it gets a little thicker. Warm it, shake.

This, of course, could vary depending on the recipe. rockyroad is correct, check the thread for the freezing points.
NM, I checked a wiki. Here's % of PG to water and freezing points up to 60%PG/40% water.

Percent Propylene Glycol (wt. %) Freezing Point (°F) Freezing Point (°C)
0 32 0
10 26 -3
20 20 -7
30 10 -12
36 0 -18
40 -5 -20
43 -10 -23
48 -20 -29
52 -30 -34
55 -40 -40
58 -50 -46
60 -60 -51

The lowest temperature ever recorded in Montreal was −37.8 °C (−36 °F) on January 15, 1957. So now you can decide on what mixture you wish to order. Looks like you're safe even with some added water. Note VG has a higher freezing point but I think that it is still very cold.

Now, I dare you to try and freeze your juice! lol.

Have fun!

Last edited:

w1ngz

Oct 23, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Good to know.
I looked up the same information on VG and it's minimum temp is specifically at a 70% mixed with 30% water where it freezes at about -36. From there anything higher, it actually shoots back up and freezes well ABOVE the freezing point of water when it is 100% glycerol. Interesting! It would seem that a pure VG e-juice with a low nic content could well freeze solid, depending on the recipe and outside temperature. Higher nic content will help, but I'm not near well versed enough to calculate what the freezing point of a 18mg VG nic solution would freeze at compared to a 12mg or 24mg.

Freezing temp of glycerol

Now, I dare you to try and freeze your juice! lol.

I may well take that dare when January/February comes and it hits -30 something for 2 weeks. ;)

Last edited:

rockyroad

Life is Good
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2010
Indiana
Well that's hardly fair. Do you have any idea how much farther north I'd have to move to win that?? lol

If all goes well, I hope to have figured out my preferred PG/VG ratio and favourite flavours, and be mixing my own by then so it shouldn't even be an issue ;)

Good luck with the diy wingz and don't forget the crystals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread