Fried my work computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnauzer4me

Mar 5, 2009
Tn
not sure if i am posting in the correct place :confused:.....but.........i took my usb 901 charger thingy to work & plugged it - all was good for about 1 minute - i smelled smoke and was thinking who in the heck is smoking in the office...no that is something burning in the office 8-o ...holy crap that is MY computer smoking!!! yikes:shock:...
i quickly pulled that sucker out and with all the nerve i could muster up told my boss that hmmm ...excuse me...yeah...well.... i think my e-cigarette toasted my 'puter.....(the usb plug totally overheated and crashed the whole dang computer) .....needless to say my boss was less than happy with me :mad:....
took it to computer wiz & he said the usb charger was not compatible with my usb port...something to do with new port vs old port....:oops: ....so just f/y/i if you have an old computer don't use the usb charger....
or crash, boom, bang, fire in the hole....
the computer was a lost cause
however my e-cig & charger survived and thankfully i am still employed :rolleyes:...
has anyone heard of such a thing? or just my bad luck?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
not sure if i am posting in the correct place :confused:.....but.........i took my usb 901 charger thingy to work & plugged it - all was good for about 1 minute - i smelled smoke and was thinking who in the heck is smoking in the office...no that is something burning in the office 8-o ...holy crap that is MY computer smoking!!! yikes:shock:...
i quickly pulled that sucker out and with all the nerve i could muster up told my boss that hmmm ...excuse me...yeah...well.... i think my e-cigarette toasted my 'puter.....(the usb plug totally overheated and crashed the whole dang computer) .....needless to say my boss was less than happy with me :mad:....
took it to computer wiz & he said the usb charger was not compatible with my usb port...something to do with new port vs old port....:oops: ....so just f/y/i if you have an old computer don't use the usb charger....
or crash, boom, bang, fire in the hole....
the computer was a lost cause
however my e-cig & charger survived and thankfully i am still employed :rolleyes:...
has anyone heard of such a thing? or just my bad luck?

Schnauzer4me--Appreciate the report--although many thing it is not possible--a usb passthough can in fact fry a computer--so noted---Sun

smokingclam

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Punta Gorda, Florida
Definitely heard of this before. There are differences between usb 1 and 2 . This was taken from Wikipedia to give you a little example.

Non-standard devices

A USB vacuum cleaner

A number of USB devices require more power than is permitted by the specifications for a single port. This is a common requirement of external hard and optical disc drives and other devices with motors or lamps. Such devices can be used with an external power supply of adequate rating, which is allowed by the standard, or by means of a dual-input USB cable, one input of which is used for power and data transfer, the other solely for power, which makes the device a non-standard USB device. Some external hubs may, in practice, supply more power to USB devices than required by the specification but a standard-compliant device must not depend on this.
Some non-standard USB devices use the 5 V power supply without participating in a proper USB network. These are usually referred to as USB decorations. The typical example is a USB-powered reading light; fans, mug heaters (though some may include USB hubs[24]), battery chargers (particularly for mobile telephones), miniature vacuum cleaners, a miniature Lava Lamp, and even toy missile launchers are available. In most cases, these items contain no digitally based circuitry, and thus are not proper USB devices at all. This can theoretically cause problems with some computers—the USB specification requires that devices connect in a low-power mode (100 mA maximum) and state how much current they need, before switching, with the host's permission, into high-power mode.

schnauzer4me

Mar 5, 2009
Tn
it was kinda hard to hide what happened - my office allows me to vape at my desk...
i am clueless when it comes to computer & tech stuff so I had no idea there was a 1 & 2 usb....
on a better note - my boss actually tried one of my e-cigs (after he calmed down)
........great info smokingclam- i understood most (some) of it
good to know it was not just my bad luck....thanks....

I always thought it strange that people were so worried about their $10 atomiser but so carefree about their computer ! No offence, my friend. I've done plenty of such things myself ;)

Not only does usb provide more power, but it is supposedly current limited (according to the specification). But that doesnt mean every manufacturer implemented this well, and would they look kindly on such a peripheral being used ?

I have great sympathy for you - the stuff of nightmares. The passthrough should warn about usb 1. And yes, your company really should have updated your computer by now.

hope you can be vaping at work again soon ...

Rob

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Usb chargers can kill usb 2.0 ports as well. Have seen it happen a few times with cell phone chargers. The main difference between 2.0, 1.1, and 1.0 is bandwidth, not power output. all are capable of +5v.
Speeds
USB 1.0 1.5 Mb/sec
USB 1.1 12 Mb/sec
USB 2.0 480 Mb/sec

All true USB devices are interchangable, noting only the data transfer limitations of the device or port. Chargers and other devices do run the risk of damgaing your ports, regardless of the usb version. Out of curiosity, did you plug your charger into a front port, or a rear port? and had you used this particluar port before?

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
Wondered how long it would be before something like this happened.
I've been saying it for a long time but it's not until someone reports it here that anybody listens.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/electronic-cigarette-reviews/4305-cashs-upcoming-usb.html#post68295

500 mA is the quoted USB spec AFAIK, per port
usb 2.0 standard says 1.5 amps if there is external power, 100 mA unsupported

USB devices may draw up to 100 mA before "negotiation" with the host, after which they may draw up to what the host gives them permission to draw, which is limited to 500 mA due to physical interface requirements

The negotiation requires exchange of information between the devices over the bus.

schnauzer4me

Mar 5, 2009
Tn
thanks for the responses - i should have posted or searched BEFORE i pulled in.
i did use the front usb, and yes my computer was very old and needed replaced, gosh hope they dont feel the same way about me :O
not to be a pest but should/can i use usb front port on a newer computer without fear of damage & also laptop? if i purchase one of those remote things will that protect my cpu?
and apostle - thanks for the link - i have just the charger not the pass-thru-does that matter? (i have a pass-thru on the way- i am kinda leary of using either one now)
"The negotiation requires exchange of information between the devices over the bus. "
i ride the short bus so i have no idea what this means? but it sounds really important - you recommend not using usb chargers or pass-thurs?

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
Ye i know it was a charger in the op but it still stands.

A usb charger inputs and outputs 100Ma so it's right on the edge of working.

just like smokinclam says these are cheap chinese gadgets and i sure am wary of using them.

Some non-standard USB devices use the 5 V power supply without participating in a proper USB network. These are usually referred to as USB decorations. The typical example is a USB-powered reading light; fans, mug heaters (though some may include USB hubs[24]), battery chargers (particularly for mobile telephones), miniature vacuum cleaners, a miniature Lava Lamp, and even toy missile launchers are available. In most cases, these items contain no digitally based circuitry, and thus are not proper USB devices at all. This can theoretically cause problems with some computers—the USB specification requires that devices connect in a low-power mode (100 mA maximum) and state how much current they need, before switching, with the host's permission, into high-power mode.

I bet when you plug in your passthrough or charger the computer doesnt even recognise it as being connected at all. so your only gonna get the minimum allowed ampage delivered to the usb port. If that device wants more it'll try and take it, overloading the port and resulting in what the OP is all about.

again this is why Janty use the Battery in-line with their usb passthrough's , It acts as a buffer for the port. Janty are a big name and know the risks with USB powered devices so they have gone the safer route.
Generic Chinese passthrough manufacturer's couldn't give a monkey's about end user safety and the Supplier is the one liable to any damage.

If your gonna use usb chargers or passthru's i would try to avoid directly plugging them into your PC ports but connect them to a mains powered USB hub, they at least are recognised and will supply a greater amperage to the device. I woudn't say don't use them , many people are using them without problems but as your aware the risks are present.

Last edited:

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
it was kinda hard to hide what happened - my office allows me to vape at my desk...
i am clueless when it comes to computer & tech stuff so I had no idea there was a 1 & 2 usb....
on a better note - my boss actually tried one of my e-cigs (after he calmed down)
........great info smokingclam- i understood most (some) of it
good to know it was not just my bad luck....thanks....

You might want to look at getting something like this:
Amazon.com: FOR ipod MP3 MP4 PSP PDA Travel POWER CHARGER ADAPTER 5V 1000mA: Electronics
so that you can just run the USB passthrough directly from the mains electricity.

Rob

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Clam & Apostle are absolutely correct. Charger and passthroughs for ecigs, mobile devices, ect. are NOT guaranteed to work with usb. Although most often they will just not work, damage IS possible, and it could come from a faulty device, a usb port out of spec, your motherboard, and possibly even the power supply. Use a usb hub, wall charger or battery box, or accept the fact that you are using an Unsupported 3rd party device that may damage your pc... On a side note, I have also seen this damage happen when a front port is wired up incorrectly. Rear ports are soldered directly to your motherboad, however front ports are wired to a jumper, some cases use a full plug, while some you must connect each individual wire to its jumper. Miswiring a port will damage any device, supported or not

schnauzer4me

Mar 5, 2009
Tn
good suggestion rob "Suppliers may want to post a 3rd party disclaimer on usb chargers and passthrough for their protection as well as their customers."
thanks for all the info : smokingclam, jjames, kinabaloo, rob, valya,apostle51, LU & kitabz..you all have been very helpful - actaully this whole forum is a wonderful resource
i am going to get the usb hub thing & wall charger...
this vaping is breaking my budget...........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread