Friends/Family who haven't prepared ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Wondering if people have vaping friends/family who haven't prepared for the inevitable restrictions, and how you advise them? Especially those who don't believe it will be a big deal.

In the early 1960's, the Cold War was in full swing, and some people built fallout shelters under their houses or in their back yards.

The question then was, "If the Soviets drop the Big One, would you let less fore-sightful neighbors share your bomb shelter and very limited survival resources?"

Our vaping conundrum seems parallel.

There was no good answer then; I don't think there's one now.

The sad thing is that now, instead of the Evil Empire doing it to us, our own government is doing it to us.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Always got 100 mg MFS nic in PG and no problems.
    I get 24mg 75/25 PG/VG mix (because I'm lazier than lazy can be) from MFS. I got a 500 ml bottle late last year and there's still a bit over a third of it left! I intend to get another 2 or 3 or 10 bottles in the next week or so..

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    In the early 1960's, the Cold War was in full swing, and some people built fallout shelters under their houses or in their back yards.

The question then was, "If the Soviets drop the Big One, would you let less fore-sightful neighbors share your bomb shelter and very limited survival resources?"

Our vaping conundrum seems parallel.

There was no good answer then; I don't think there's one now.

The sad thing is that now, instead of the Evil Empire doing it to us, our own government is doing it to us.
    The keyword is 'our own'.
    Thru our voting in the past and present WE have made our government what it is today.
    We keep on electing the same ones for 20-30 years....
    But as long as it is not the other party.....
    Mericans love being used contrary to their own best interests.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    I just saw the movie "Blast from the Past" Yep, I may have to close the door, spin the wheel and set the time lock.

:)
    I like the movie. The phrase "I watch TV. In color..."
    So, in 10-20 years somebody may say "I have a Provari. With a button..."

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Probably both did, r77r7r.

At the time, there was a whole genre of apocalyptic fiction. Much of it came from science fiction authors, but there was a goodly amount from mainstream writers as well (Alas, Babylon and On the Beach, for instance).

Last edited:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    The keyword is 'our own'.
    Thru our voting in the past and present WE have made our government what it is today.

Robert Cromwell, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) has a more nuanced interpretation that more closely squares with my experience and observations over the last 50-odd years. It's in the current National Review. Unfortunately, it's behind a paywall. Or you can get the current issue on the newsstand. The current issue has a banner "The Incredible Shirking Congress" on the cover.

It's well worth reading to understand the situation a lot better.

I've mentioned National Review on ECF before. It deals with a lot of issues — not just vaping (its editor has come out strongly against FDA regulation of vaping in a hard-hitting editorial) — of which we all should be following closely. The print magazine is $55/year or so, or you can get a digital subscription for $20. The latter includes the digital version of the print magazine as well as NR Digital.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DingerCPA

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    I am kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned weaning down their nicotine. It seems to be the #1 concern for stockpiling.

Just seems like it might make the situation a bit less disconcerting.

Or is that something that everyone has already done?
    I am cutting my nic level now from 6 to 4 mg and will go lower in the future. Rather than stock more nic than I have now I wanted to stretch it out by lowering my level. So far so good and I don't even notice the drop in level at this point.

Saippenu

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 18, 2016
    U.S. Northeast
    I've tried to let everyone that I can think of know what's going on and briefly telling them that nicotine stores very well ( most people wouldn't expect that).
    I'd be more than willing to supply info on stocking up but none have shown any interest so I let it drop.

I haven't told them that I have 10 years worth of hardware & Nicotine. I did mention that I am supplying two close friends and myself and wont be able to help them if they get in a bind down the road. I'm pretty sure that I will remain cold hearted toward their plight if they show up at my door.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego

Didn't Hitchcock or Twilight zone do a show on that?
    This is pretty much what I've always figured will happen to preppers...
    "The Twilight Zone" The Shelter (TV Episode 1961) - IMDb

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    I do not have a lot of disposable income but I am managing to stock up. If I can do it anyone can. I'll be OK as long as things are available another 3 to 5 months. I think I'll be fine, and anyone can jump in NOW. It's not too late.

It is going to take a while to see a fallout to whatever the FDA and states do to the marketplace. 8/8/2016 is the beginning of a downward trend for being able to obtain goods.

If you are so inclined, make one email with links to ECF discussions on what to buy to stock-up, DIY, and let the chips fall where they may.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    I am kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned weaning down their nicotine. It seems to be the #1 concern for stockpiling.

Just seems like it might make the situation a bit less disconcerting.

Or is that something that everyone has already done?

I started at 12mg/ml and for the most part that's where I'm prepping to stay.

Reactions: bnrkwest

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    I started at 12mg/ml and for the most part that's where I'm prepping to stay.
    I started out at 18mg, now I'm down to 3mg subohm and 6mg MTL. After a few more months I'll try out 1.5mg. I don't have any plans nor desire to go below that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    But will that nicotine still be good (not tasting like pepper) in 20-30 years? I'm nervous about that on my current 7-10 year supply. The only true and tried that I've seen on this forum has been 6-7 years. I guess we will see, but I'm in your boat. It doesn't cost so much that a person can't afford to lose the money that it costs to freeze that much nicotine, even if it does go bad.

Just taper your nicotine off slowly until you're vaping 0 nic.

Just drop 1mg every 3 months or so. You'll never notice the difference. And if you get to the point where you can't get nic anymore you'll either already be nic free or so close to it that leaving it out entirely won't make any difference.

I'm already vaping 2mg juice and I started vaping 3 years ago at 24mg. I figure that once I drop it to 1mg I'll really only be adding nic out of habit rather than any real need, and I could leave the nic out entirely and never notice the difference. As it is now I doubt I would notice if I used a juice without it.

Reactions: bnrkwest
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread