From cigs to vaping... help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

westernways33

Jun 9, 2015
I have been vaping for about a month, and am still dealing with bad throat irritation. I have a 50w istick with an Atlantis tank. Using 3mg juices, normally vaping at about 3.5-3.8v. Changed coil about a week ago.

I find vaping hit and miss. Sometimes I take a bunch of drags and it's smooth and tastes great, big clouds. Other times (especially in the morning) I take even a small hit and I'm coughing up a lung. I take even one hit in the morning and for a few hours my throat is dry, stuffy and irritated. I am pretty active, and I drink plenty of water. I don't think it's me, I think the tank is sometimes giving me smooth good tasting vape but other times it comes out incredibly harsh, and I can't explain why. Is it normal the first 10 hits or so in the morning are that harsh? it seems as though every morning I have a sore throat because of it. Even in general I just feel stuffier, and is since going from a pack of cigs a day to 1-2 cigs a day and vaping.

Any advice or ideas?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nic concentration (3 mg) in the eliquid looks to be appropriate. You believe you're getting enough water intake.

I didn't see what resistance (ohm) coil you're using at 3.5 - 3.8 volts.

You might have a sensitivity to propylene glycol (Pg); you could change to a higher Vg ratio and see if that helps. I know that I prefer a higher Vg, Pg seems harsh to me and my throat.

You're most likely still adjusting to vaping. The transition can be longer for some individuals. Early morning coughing is your lungs' attempt to get rid of years of accumulated tars and other toxins.

You might also try using Biotene. It's for dry mouth.

Biotene.jpg

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I went through the hit and miss phase of vaping. Some devices were just too inconsistent for me, and there were bad days all the time... until I got with the program and got a mech and genesis RBA, learned to build it sub-ohm, and make my own juice. I never have those bad vaping days anymore, but as in all things, YMMV.

Reactions: WonderDude32

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I turn down my wattage in the morning for the exact same reasons. As the day goes on, I bump up to my normal power but the first 10 hits are hardest for me. I try to get a cup of coffee and drink a little to wet my throat before taking my first hit. Another idea might be to open the air flow if you can. More air would mean less vapor. Since you're sub ohm-ing, take a few very little hits almost like a mouth to lung. Good luck.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
When I first started, I noticed that my first vape in the morning always made me cough. I attributed it to waking up dehydrated although it retrospect, it might have also been due to my lungs still getting used to vaping.
Yeah I used to get that too weird. I'd wait half hour or so before I vaped. Now it's in my hand the second I wake up.

Reactions: caferacer

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Yeah I used to get that too weird. I'd wait half hour or so before I vaped. Now it's in my hand the second I wake up.

Yeah, the first thing I do after hitting the snooze button on my alarm is reach for my mod.

FYI - it's really hard to drip accurately when your eyes aren't open. :lol:

Reactions: WonderDude32

nvadasz

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2014
Beverly Hills, Fl, USA
right now a 50/50 guava 3mg juice
I have been vaping for about a month, and am still dealing with bad throat irritation. I have a 50w istick with an Atlantis tank. Using 3mg juices, normally vaping at about 3.5-3.8v. Changed coil about a week ago.

I find vaping hit and miss. Sometimes I take a bunch of drags and it's smooth and tastes great, big clouds. Other times (especially in the morning) I take even a small hit and I'm coughing up a lung. I take even one hit in the morning and for a few hours my throat is dry, stuffy and irritated. I am pretty active, and I drink plenty of water. I don't think it's me, I think the tank is sometimes giving me smooth good tasting vape but other times it comes out incredibly harsh, and I can't explain why. Is it normal the first 10 hits or so in the morning are that harsh? it seems as though every morning I have a sore throat because of it. Even in general I just feel stuffier, and is since going from a pack of cigs a day to 1-2 cigs a day and vaping.

Any advice or ideas?

right now a 50/50 guava 3mg juice

Addressing the first part: The hit and miss kind of sounds like a wicking issue. Big clouds when properly wicked and not so much when dry. I'll assume you stand your setup on end so that it can wick properly. Try different juices, and mixtures. Some folks are more tolerant to pg than others and others need more vg. The sore throat thing may be the way you vape (something to consider) are you doing a direct lung hit or are you doing a mouth to lung hit? I find lung hits rough to take. I've tried them, and after just a few hits, my throat is done! I'm not familiar with the Atlantis tank other than what I've read here at ECF, but they seem to be a good tank with adjustable air flow, personally, I swear by my Nautilus Mini...IMO. Hope I've given you some helpful advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread