Status
Not open for further replies.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Just wondering which fruit flavors you guys have grown to like and which vendor you get them from. I'm vaping on some 'RedFrost' which is

4% TFA Pomegranate 'deluxe'
1% LA Raspberry concentrated (*food coloring, want to replace*)
3% menthol (10% solution)
1% koolada
1% TFA whipped cream
3% Vanillin
1 drop/10mls lemon juice

and it's pretty nice. However, it's got me realizing how lacking I am in the fruit department and thus wanting to explore fruits like blackberries, lychee, peach, red apple, blueberries, watermelon, etc., so I thought I'd ask the community. Could also be a good thread to condense our "fruit" experience, so please, share your experiences thus far. I'll start.

TFA Blueberry Wild - Has a funky taste after the first ml or so. Mixed at various percentages between 3-7 and couldn't get rid of that taste. Would assume there are much better blueberries out there.

LA Raspberry - Nice as a filler/backup flavor in the low percentages (1-3), but has food coloring. Looking to replace.

FW Grape - Good sweet grape. Wouldn't say its the most realistic one out there, as it has a very sweet almost kool-aid thing going on, but its delicious imo and doesn't have food coloring. Enjoyed it as low as 5% and as high as 15%.

TFA Pomegranate 'Deluxe' - I can taste the pomegranate, but it's not alone. Its pretty tarty, some might say perfumey, but I enjoy pairing it with menthol. So far 6% seemed too 'in my face', so while some of you may enjoy that level of flavor, I've been mixing it around 4%.

TFA Tangerine Concentrate - It's an oil base rather than PG/alcohol. Gross. Absolutely harsh and has a hard time blending with the base. Would not recommend it to anyone looking for orange/tangerine. Mixed at 2% then 1% and still no luck, regardless of steep time.

LA Coconut Concentrate - Delicious. 1-3% does it for me, although some may like it stronger. Has a real nice coconutty taste to it but also has a very very slight 'sweet/candy' side to it that makes it good for blending with tobaccos or other fruits. Would absolutely recommend.

FW Banana - Tastes like sugary banana to me. Not pure banana imo, as the sweeter side is rather artificial, but I really enjoy this flavor. 10% does good for mixing, and upwards to 15% if you really want it to be the number one voice in the crowd. Would recommend if you're looking for a sweet/candyish banana flavor.

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
I've had fairly good luck with the Capella fruits I have tried. Pomegranate and honeydew both at 12% and Strawberry (ripe) from TFA 14% if I recall correctly. TFA huckleberry seemed way off flavor wise to me though. Maybe needed to sweeten it more but it isn't something I am feeling any urge to try again. Had good luck with FA peach and pear at low percentages and good luck with NF peach at about 4%.

finanie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2013
Springfield, MO
I'm a fruity vaper, though it took me months to figure out that I don't want to vape what I want to eat. I'm allergic to fruit so I was hesitant to try any fruit vapes but so glad I did. My first DIY experiment was 2 days ago with ripe strawberry from TFA. I found 7% at 70pg/30vg and 1 drop lemon juice was great. I haven't tried any other flavoring vendors so I can't really compare it. Great idea for a thread. I will add to it as I try more flavors.

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
This is a recipe I dialed in recently.

TFA Cantaloupe 9%
TFA Quince 7%
FA Ozone 2%
CA Spearmint 1%
Koolada to taste, I use 1 or 2 drops per 10ml
Sweetener if you want, I don't use it in mine

I know the spearmint isn't a fruit but it does something wonderful at small amounts TO the fruits. Somebody wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't tell them.

TFA Quince- Not very popular I guess, my usual suspects don't have it. Wizard does and of course Perfumers Apprentice does. It's a mellow taste that I've seen and heard described as pear/apple. I don't really get apple. It's quite nice.

TFA Cantaloupe- Really a nice cantaloupe taste, not at all honeydew-ish or the generic 'melon' flavoring that always tastes honeydew-ish to me.

BTW- Ozone is listed as a tobacco flavoring by FA. It says it pairs nicely with delicate fruit flavors and I'd have to agree to that 100%.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I've had fairly good luck with the Capella fruits I have tried. Pomegranate and honeydew both at 12% and Strawberry (ripe) from TFA 14% if I recall correctly. TFA huckleberry seemed way off flavor wise to me though. Maybe needed to sweeten it more but it isn't something I am feeling any urge to try again. Had good luck with FA peach and pear at low percentages and good luck with NF peach at about 4%.

Thanks for the info. Any tank crackers in there?

This is a recipe I dialed in recently.

TFA Cantaloupe 9%
TFA Quince 7%
FA Ozone 2%
CA Spearmint 1%
Koolada to taste, I use 1 or 2 drops per 10ml
Sweetener if you want, I don't use it in mine

I know the spearmint isn't a fruit but it does something wonderful at small amounts TO the fruits. Somebody wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't tell them.

TFA Quince- Not very popular I guess, my usual suspects don't have it. Wizard does and of course Perfumers Apprentice does. It's a mellow taste that I've seen and heard described as pear/apple. I don't really get apple. It's quite nice.

TFA Cantaloupe- Really a nice cantaloupe taste, not at all honeydew-ish or the generic 'melon' flavoring that always tastes honeydew-ish to me.

BTW- Ozone is listed as a tobacco flavoring by FA. It says it pairs nicely with delicate fruit flavors and I'd have to agree to that 100%.

Awesome. Quince seems enticing to me. Most google searches are people trying to describe the aspects of the flavor rather than the flavor itself, so its looking like a must-try sort of deal. Would you say the spearmint has a similar effect as low amounts of koolada or menthol, or does it have its own flavor profile going on that goes beyond the 'minty' aspect? I've been wanting to try spearmint for some time now but gave up after I became more familiar with the menthol/koolada combo.

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
That's a really good question and I'm not sure how to answer it. I'm not a fan of menthol so I can't compare. Spearmint (at least the CA one) isn't even really minty as a peppermint would be. There's really no cooling going on. There's a subtle sweetness to it too. I wouldn't even use it as a replacement for menthol or koolada. I think it's just a nice undertone with fruits, IRL too. So far that recipe is the only one that I've done but I have plans for watermelon with spearmint, peach, and a few others.
As far as the Quince goes, try it! Do eeeeet! lol

shakeytails

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Kentucky, United States
The spearmint is interesting. Just 'cuz I'm an idiot, I put a drop of LA spearmint oil (it's been kicking around my kitchen for years) in a clearo full of Dekang watermelon mixed with a few drops of menthol. The spearmint is a tad too strong (obviously), but it added a tiny bit of sweetness but I don't think any cooling effect. Next time I mix something I think I'll add a drop or two to strawberry or raspberry and see if it adds something special.

wbbrn1952

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Pensacola, FL, USA
I am liking Strawberry - peach - tangerine the most -- I mix Strawberry or tangerine with pina colada adding some cotton candy and a very tiny amount of koolada.
I have also mixed the Strawberry and tangerine individually with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
Peach I usually mix with Bavarian Cream - - since I started using some EM, Sweetener and Koolada in my mixes there are a few of these that I will revisit and tweak the recipes.
I have not had any tanks crack (knock on wood) with any of these flavors.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
i like the Huckleberry alot.ive never had the real thing so nothing to compare it to but I mix it at 5% and its a nice refreshing sweet berryflavor to me.nice one for summer.

I am liking Strawberry - peach - tangerine the most -- I mix Strawberry or tangerine with pina colada adding some cotton candy and a very tiny amount of koolada.
I have also mixed the Strawberry and tangerine individually with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
Peach I usually mix with Bavarian Cream - - since I started using some EM, Sweetener and Koolada in my mixes there are a few of these that I will revisit and tweak the recipes.
I have not had any tanks crack (knock on wood) with any of these flavors.

Which vendor are you guys referring to?

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
purfumers apprentice for the huckleberry sorry

No worries, thanks for the info :toast:

I'll try it again then. My problem may be that I loved huckleberry pie as a kid and this is more berry than pie.

Try adding some pie crust, graham cracker, brown sugar, or even lower levels of bavarian cream/malted milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread