Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi,

First of all, plz let me apologize for my imperfect english.

I'm not an expert on the subject, I'm using e-cigarretes for like 1.5 yrs and tho I find them basically better than the ordinary stinkies, I have too many problems. This is unbearable. I'm afraid that my final verdict will be that, for now, the e-cigs cannot beat the stinkies in terms of practicality, availability, standardization and many other factors. I'm sorry, but the e-cigs are failing in this fight.

I like the feeling of the e-cigs, the aroma, the taste, the throat hit, but that's only in ideal conditions, when you have a good device, brand new coil, full battery etc., otherwise, it's terrible. E.g. the coils get clogged too quickly and become useless. I tried some tricks from Youtube (washing them either with hot water, either with pharmacy alcohol or both), but the results are terrible. Now the aroma is like dirty socks. After keeping the coil in alcohol, I rinsed it with hot water and later I tried to vape, but it seems that some alcohol remained inside and the effect was just terrible. It was like alcohol smoke hitting my brain and it irrittated my nose! I asked myself why the hell I have to go through this?! And how dangerous it is?!

Another problem is that I often travel abroad and the availability of spare parts and liquids can be a problem in some countries and you must think about this. Because of this, you might end up with an atomizer that you don't like, just because that manufacturer is more widespread than the others. You go to a shop and you don't say: "Give me the best atomizer you have", but you say: "Give me an atomizer that I can easily find spare parts for". What's the point in buying a "Ferrari", if you can't find a replacement tire later, sort to speak. Also note that some countries are small and their markets, too, and you can't buy so much stuff like in your country.

Also, one must become a chemistry expert to understand the PG:VG ratio and all that, and also, an electronics expert to understand the relation between the power, voltage and resistance etc. And even if you do everything right, the mod may decide "no to see" the atomizer and it will display "atomizer not found". Then you must do some tricks, screw / unscrew, hoping that it will somehow start to work or you must google for solutions etc... etc.... Friends, I'm not a troll, but this went too far. Why can't they invent a device that will allow me to have a smoke with my coffee without any complications and "philosophies"? Why is that so hard?

Also, there's no compatibility between the products on the market. Say, you bought an atomizer and some spare coils for it, but tomorrow, these coils will not fit into another atomizer. Same with the spare glass tubes and other parts. There's no single standard.

Take compact discs for example, you need a CD player to play them and that's it, you don't have to become a freaking recording engineer to play them and you don't need a studio to play them! I think that this vape subculture went too far and forgot about the basic thing - practicality. I see only advices and advices, do this, do that, use this, avoid that. And where's the fun, then?

With ordinary stinkies there's no deep philosophy. All I need is a matchbox or a lighter. And that's it. I can buy cigarettes almost everywhere and even in remote rural areas. They are all standardized and there're popular brands that we all know, that can be found around the world. But if I decide to use e-cigs, I must think about 500 different things in advance. You must this, you must that. This is abnormal. This became madness.

Also I've read many myths about vaping, like people write on forums: "I'd fill the tank and it last me for days and days". Or they say that "10 ml bottle will last them a week" and they claim that they "saved a lot of money" by switiching from stinkies to e-cigs. Nothing can be further from the truth. A 10 ml bottle lasts me like just a couple of days, which is nothing. And I spent not little on atomzers, liquids, coils etc. Note that I was a heavy smoker, like 2 packs per day. My walls were becoming yellow, my hair and my clothes were smelly, it was terrible and I hoped that the e-cig are a good alternative. Basically they are, but many improvements are needed.

I've also had terrible problems with the liquids. Say, today you're in Italy, you buy your fav juice, everything is fine. But tomorrow you're in Russia, you buy the same brand and you notice that it is counterfeited! E.g. the color is transparent instead of yellowish, there's no taste, there're some differences in the design of the packaging etc. I wrote an email to the original manufacturer and they said that they have no more cooperation with the ru distributor. This is crazy. I've heard that in Turkey you can't buy liquids at all or that they're very rare (I apologize if I got a wrong info). It's a chaos on the world's market, there's no one single standard. Due to the regulations, in some countries the liquids might be without any nicotine and you will have to buy it separately and carefully mix it and shake it or you might ruin it. In some countries I saw some questionable forms of nicotine, with poor packaging etc.

All this is impractical and even scary. No offense, but this is terrible and it needs to change.

Thank you for understanding.

I vape 1ml of ejuice per day. When I first started vaping I vaped 1.5 ml of ejuice per day - and that was chainvaping.

The more power you apply to your coil, the more ejuice your going to use, much like gas in a vehicle. If you run a V8 you use more gas than if you have a 3 cylinder car.

Low wattage MTL devices are very conservative in their consumption levels and best resemble a cigarette.

I am in the U.S. and don't travel internationally. If I did yes, it would be more to consider than cigarettes would, but I imagine my life and health is worth some extra consideration, much like counting carbs or calories is more work, but beneficial in the end.

Every single year smoking related illnesses kill millions of people. Do you want to suffocate to death? Because that is what some smoking related illnesses feels like.. it's not fun..

Vaping is life saving, and your life is worth taking a little time when traveling to make sure your going to be okay.

If you know where you will be staying while abroad you can mail yourself a care package when you leave your home country if it comes down to it, full of proper coils and ejuice to last your business trip.

Coils are a disposable, consumable item.. They don't last forever and they aren't supposed to. 5 days on a coil is fine if your vaping sweet juice, but some coils will last longer.. Figure it in to your cost; coils are around 2.50 each, and lasting a week it's not costly. A pack of smokes is far more, and wont last most smokers a day.

That said, if you want to save money use something like the GeekVape Flint, or the Innokin Z-Biip, or a Nautilus 2s tank on a small mod of your choosing. Those are all MTL devices which you use at lower power levels (10-16 watts usually) so you will use anywhere from 1 to 3 ml of ejuice per day..

Innokin or Aspire coils are easy to acquire most anywhere, and inexpensive to purchase so your more likely to be able to source these coils while travelling abroad - although I wouldn't put my health and life at risk for maybes.

Get a travel bag, and have everything you need in it for vaping, and take it with you. Mail yourself a care package in questionable countries.

Decide whether your health and life is worth the time. I can explain slow suffocation to you if you need..it's horrific and terrifying.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I understand your frustration. I am also having issues, but for different reasons... I have very little money and can't afford to go through coils. One of the juices I got is a coil killer (vaping it today on a new coil and it already tastes burnt) The other day my device wouldn't work so I had to resort to buying some cheap cigars (way less tax than cigs) and I had been off smokes for 2 months. There is much to learn, but the people here are very helpful and will give good advice. My brand of smokes costs $10 a pack here, and I don't want to smoke those nasty things anymore... I love vaping, but it's hard when things don't go right. Don't rely on vape shops. There are great deals online. If you have time, watch some videos. It will get easier... don't give up.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
E.g. the coils get clogged too quickly and become useless. I tried some tricks from Youtube (washing them either...
VG=quicker coil clog. Plus, if you want to clean your coil, get a small ultrasonic cleaner and clean your coils each 2 days or so. Do not wait until they're completely ruined.

Also, one must become a chemistry expert to understand the PG:VG ratio and all that, and also, an electronics expert to understand the relation between the power, voltage and resistance etc. And even if you do everything right, the mod may decide "no to see" the atomizer and it will display "atomizer not found". Then you must do some tricks, screw / unscrew, hoping that it will somehow start to work or you must google for solutions etc... etc.... Friends, I'm not a troll, but this went too far. Why can't they invent a device that will allow me to have a smoke with my coffee without any complications and "philosophies"? Why is that so hard?
Because if we're honest, regulated vaping devices are complicated things. They're small, microchip driven, computers with high energy electricity output, released into the hands of people who are used to everything being tailored to suit their 21st century sense of convenience.

Also, there's no compatibility between the products on the market. Say, you bought an atomizer and some spare coils for it, but tomorrow, these coils will not fit into another atomizer. Same with the spare glass tubes and other parts. There's no single standard.
Some standards are good (510, battery formats, drip tip formats), other would be too restricting. But I get the general idea. It's why I threw out ANY AND ALL atties that do not either take (A) baby beast compatible coils (B) BF compatible coils or (C) are rebuildable. I too don't want to spend any more time than necessary, wondering if I got enough coils for my favorite atty left in the drawer, or not...

..they claim that they "saved a lot of money" by switiching from stinkies to e-cigs. Nothing can be further from the truth.
Even though I'm a heavy vaper, I do save LOTS of moneys. But of course you have to pay some attention to the singular products you buy, or vendors and manufacturers will try to make you part with your moneys all too quickly.

All this is impractical and even scary. No offense, but this is terrible and it needs to change.
The ecig industry follows the road of all other things - everything gets better -> over time. Till then, dance along and enjoy.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
For someone ready to pay the premium (heath money and otherwise) and for someone who wants something standardized that will work you sound like a good candidate for a Juul. Buy a couple extra batteries and as many pods as you need to get through a trip, and you should be fine.

I am talking about the very simplest solution that I believe could work for you and you should try it.

Also reusing coil heads is remarkably shortsighted, if you are willing to pay the premium for tobacco. Just buy a LOT more coil heads and change them when necessary.

I don't think this is about vaping honestly. I think you want to smoke. that is fine with me. Do what you need to do.

Or buy a couple juuls get used to the flavors and vape. It's doesn't need to be complicated. It sounds a bit to me that you are resentful that vaping isn't "incredibly much cheaper" than smoking, which it IS even if you use the most expensive pod system on the market.

Vaping still has costs time wise and otherwise. You are correct. So if you want to go simple, get a Juul;

If not, buy your preferred brand of tobacco and go nuts.

You don't need a puff peace on hating vaping to just go smoke. I for one don't care that much.

It is your life, you don't need anyone's permission.

Anna

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
I don't entirely agree with some of the comments that have been made to the OP; to some degree I share the frustration. And, for the record, in defense of the OP - I DON'T WANT TO SMOKE ANYMORE, so I am not making things harder on myself because I 'deep down' really only want to smoke. The OP is correct - as I have thought it myself - picking up a cigarette and lighting it is way much simpler. I would NOT have felt this way if both of the most recent vapes I bought hadn't presented PIA problems.

I've tried multiple forms of vaping, some very simplistic, some more complex (well, complex for me anyway). My first actual 'starter' kit leaks incessantly, no matter what I do. The second kit I bought in December, leaks every time it is knocked over (as in, accidentally bumping a table it is sitting on). I have to 're-set' the coil (not a screw in, but a pop in - probably why it leaks so easily) to stop the leaking - and all the clean up that comes with that. Now, not even 6 months later - with only intermittent use - it would appear the battery has gone bad, or was defective to begin with.

So, while my story is not the same as the OP's - things do go wrong and make one feel as if they are fighting a losing battle. And, yes, I do want something that works a bit more simply than what I have experienced to date. Maybe I will look into Juul… If I can get something to work to get me off of cigarettes and is reliable - then sure, at that point maybe I can experiment with other things. Right now the focus is to find something NOT horrifically complicated to REPLACE cigarettes. :2c:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I don't entirely agree with some of the comments that have been made to the OP; to some degree I share the frustration. And, for the record, in defense of the OP - I DON'T WANT TO SMOKE ANYMORE, so I am not making things harder on myself because I 'deep down' really only want to smoke. The OP is correct - as I have thought it myself - picking up a cigarette and lighting it is way much simpler. I would NOT have felt this way if both of the most recent vapes I bought hadn't presented PIA problems.

I've tried multiple forms of vaping, some very simplistic, some more complex (well, complex for me anyway). My first actual 'starter' kit leaks incessantly, no matter what I do. The second kit I bought in December, leaks every time it is knocked over (as in, accidentally bumping a table it is sitting on). I have to 're-set' the coil (not a screw in, but a pop in - probably why it leaks so easily) to stop the leaking - and all the clean up that comes with that. Now, not even 6 months later - with only intermittent use - it would appear the battery has gone bad, or was defective to begin with.

So, while my story is not the same as the OP's - things do go wrong and make one feel as if they are fighting a losing battle. And, yes, I do want something that works a bit more simply than what I have experienced to date. Maybe I will look into Juul… If I can get something to work to get me off of cigarettes and is reliable - then sure, at that point maybe I can experiment with other things. Right now the focus is to find something NOT horrifically complicated to REPLACE cigarettes. :2c:
I see it here all the time, post after post about crappy tanks and mods. I see endless posts on coils that leak and dont last, so I hear you...I personally cannot advise because I vape very different then most, as I do rebuildable hi end rtas and mods that are 100 percent reliable and absolute perfection, but my wife use to vape the nautilus tanks and istick mods and they worked really really good. Besides changing the coils every week, I dont think she had a problem the couple years she used them. Have you tried the nautilus or nautilus mini? Those aspire coils are some of the best ever and are very easily available anywhere.....one thing is for sure, to start vaping today is alot easier and has much more options then years ago, vaping is still sort of new, so it's going to be a while before its totally perfect....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Have you tried the nautilus or nautilus mini? Those aspire coils are some of the best ever and are very easily available anywhere

Thanks! Funny thing - the one that incessantly leaks is the Aspire Zelos with Nautilus-2 tank!! Not the exact same one, but close...I had also heard good things about it, but then also heard it can be prone to leak - and, sure enough, that's what mine does.

Hence, why I moved on. But now my second kit (Innokin™ iTaste Kroma-A 75w TC Starter Kit) leaks if knocked over (like as in just a 'bump' to the table it is sitting on), and after 6 months the battery is no longer working properly. I had also heard good things about it too...

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Right now the focus is to find something NOT horrifically complicated to REPLACE cigarettes. :2c:

There is no replacing cigarettes. I'm sorry, but there isn't. You CAN'T replace combustion for one, and that is its own simple pleasure. You can use WTA in your tank and that might help a bit with the minor alkaloids but there is no REPLACING smoking. You can even use snus if you desperately need the minor alkaloids.

These are all good harm reduction methods. However the guy who introduced me to vaping, a very old vet and vaping with an oxygen tank was the one who said it best when I was moaning about my ecig.

"Anna, ECiGS are not a replacement for cigarettes. They are their own thing. If you can't get on board with that fact you will fail."

I still want to smoke sometimes like right now. But, I probably won't. There are times my stress gets so Unbearable I want to smoke.

I don't win every time but I win enough I put months and years together without smoking. That is good enough for me, and I hold my head high.

Anna

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
There is no replacing cigarettes.

"Anna, ECiGS are not a replacement for cigarettes. They are their own thing. If you can't get on board with that fact you will fail."

OK, fine. But, you are kind of playing with verbiage. Many people move to vaping in order to try to stop from smoking. It isn't just the nicotine (that is ONE part), it is also the ritual/habit related to smoking. Something that 'replaces' (oh no, used that 'word' again) what a long term smoker uses in place of a cigarette.

Like my brother who chewed on straws to replace that aspect of the 'habit' (which btw he does after not having smoked for 30+ years). He DID replace cigarettes with another 'habit'. So, don't use one word to define the whole process.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I knew people who moved on from smoking chewing straws. I feverishly knit with nic gum for 6 months.

Of course it is more than nicotine, but I do find your idea that vaping should be a 1:1 replacement for smoking to be nonsense.

The only 1:1 replacement for smoking is smoking. Some vapers latch on and never look back and good for them. I am not such a person and I still find smoking to be the 1:1 replacement for smoking and DAMN there are some times I need to smoke and today may well be one of them.

I'm sure there are things you can do to make your vape more satisfying.

But to me, it will never be a cigarette. There are times I need a cigarette, and it's usually during times in my life when I smoke it and think, "Damn it, I hope this IS the one that kills me," type of deal. I am a stress smoker, it takes INSANE stress to get me there these days.

But I'm not gonna lie, either. Vaping is better 99.9% of the time. When I'm stressed to death I would rather smoke, although my possible future COPD keeps that in check, mostly

If I did not LOVE smoking I would not have been a smoker.

Anna

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
The only 1:1 replacement for smoking is smoking
That's the thing - I never said vaping and cigarettes was a 1:1. Apparently, the word 'replacement' means something different for you and me. So, is my brother's straw chewing a 1:1 'replacement'? No, just a different means to satisfy some habit that he needed to 'replace'. So, if I can do it with vaping as he did with straws, great.

If I did not LOVE smoking I would not have been a smoker.

I did love it - I no longer do. I could be like you in the end and not find any 'replacement' that doesn't make me struggle as it seems you do. I wish you could find yours, and I hope I will find mine in vaping.

• Useful

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
And cigarettes took a time to become standardised. There was even a go at self lighting cigarettes which had phosphorous sulfide on the ends like a match. The OP's gripes are fair enough though. It's all crud really.

Relatively simple can be achieved though. An example....

Buy a few Istick basics and a wall wort, loads of GS air coils, and only vape menthol. The coils last ages with menthol. Simple. If ya want it to be.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks for the explanation.

As a former 3 ppd smoker, I consider the odd cigarette every 4-6 months to be a total win, actually. I'm not worried, and I barely consider myself a a dual user. So really, no worries on my end.

Vaping works, it works 99.9 percent of the time I am good with it (including my very rare stress cigarettes) and don't mind admitting them. Thank you though.

Anna

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
I used to roll my own, and so as well as the hand to mouth business, I used to miss rolling the papers, the smell of moist tobacco in the pouch and so on.

But I just sort of think of all the fiddling refilling tanks, changing coils etc as the vaping equivalent. Likewise, running out of battery or whatever the equivalent of running out of papers/leaving lighter at home or whatever.

Sure, something that still frustrates me sometimes is the proprietry nature of devices, and needing to know which shops store which coils, and they might not even have the resistance that you want when they do stock your coils and you have to wait for online deliveries etc, etc, so I do get it. But the industry is highly unlikely to become 'standardized' any time soon. It'd be great for me if (for example) Innokin and Aspire got together and made coils that worked for both devices, and these magic coils were sold in every newsagent in the country like matches and lighters are - but that is never going to happen. Certainly not any time in the next few decades. And I've just accepted that if I'm going to vape instead smoke that's part of the deal. The closest to that widely-avaiable/ease of use experience today is probably Juul as others have mentioned but even those aren't available everywhere.

tl;dr - Although I would definitely recommend to keep perservering, If the game isn't worth the candle in your opinion that is an absolutely valid reason not to vape and maybe seek some way of coming off cigarettes that suits you more

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
It wasn't any fun working on a roof in the wind and rain trying to roll a smoke with wet hands either. I did it for long enough though.

Rolling in wet weather conditions is an art that's for sure - in fact even smoking rollies in the rain takes skill. Those were the days...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A note about semantics. OP talks about leaking mods or battery devices throughout this thread. Mods don't leak e-liquid. Tanks do. So don't blame the mods when a tank leaks. Anything that holds liquid has the potential to leak. There is generally a logical reason why a tank leaks. Its up to the user to learn why and how to correct the situation. Or you can just walk away a return back to smoking...

There are tutorial videos on You Tube that show how to trouble shoot a leaking tank. There are several members here willing to work with you when you are having problems. Just ask.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
A note about semantics. OP talks about leaking mods or battery devices throughout this thread. Mods don't leak e-liquid. Tanks do. So don't blame the mods when a tank leaks. Anything that holds liquid has the potential to leak. There is generally a logical reason why a tank leaks. Its up to the user to learn why and how to correct the situation. Or you can just walk away a return back to smoking...
Good observation. OP came here to rant and has already given up. Sounds like he lives somewhere where it's hard to find/afford quality equipment, where the market is riddled with fakes, and where smoking is cheaper than vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread