frustrated....tanks, ego twist....help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skittles12

Feb 9, 2014
Memphis, TN
So I was uSing the twist and the cheap disposable clearomizers CE4. My problem was that I liked the vape I got with the CE4 but I was haVing to toss them after only a couple of days because of burning them up so fast. The girl at the vapor shop said they are crap and suggested a glass tank,I got a kanger protank, in a few days it fell apart and no longer works. I went to another shop today....the sales girl Suggested another tank, she called it an MT3s I belIeve,($16) well, it seems nice quality and the vape is very smooth, but the throat hit now seems weaker and I'm getting an after taste almost bitter like soap. Im using 70/30 juice 18mg nic........I lOved the way this juice tasted in the cheap clearos, but its not the same now. Also can somEone please tell me what the point of haVing a twist is when I cant turn it higher than the seCond setting volts without getting a charred burned taste no matter what juice I use. The girl said if u turn it up on the higher settings, it will burn up like that no matter what tank you use.....so why even have the option for higher voltage? Back to the original pRoblem....should I just uPgrade to another device Completely or where do I go from here, I want a decent throat hit, good vapor, and I want my jUice to taste good! Not like charcoal or soap! Thanks.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I doubt you're burning them up, they are just getting dirty, happens to all coils. No matter what you use, if you vape the same liquid with similar volts and atty ohms, the coils will get dirty in a similar amount of time. You'd be better off with CE5's, they have replaceable/rebuildable heads.

Do you know if the resistance of the different devices you used was different. That would explain different vapes at the same voltage.

There is no race to using the highest voltage, you put it where it tastes best, that's the point of VV. If you were to use an atty with different ohms you would need to adjust the voltage to get the same vape with the same juice.

There is nothing wrong with your Twist. If you liked the CE4's switch to the CE5's and pay attention to the ohms rating of the coil you're using. I'd suggest 2.4 ohms for starters, but you could get a couple different ones to test. You could get a different type of topper, I'll leave other chime in about that.

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
Maybe you could look into cartomizers instead of clearomizers. And you will likely get some different stuff in the future that's gonna have different ohms and will be thankful; that your device is vv. And some flavors will taste better than others at different voltages/wattages even in the same tank or whatever you are using at that time. Is your liquid brand new? If so it may need to steep for a bit before it tastes gooder.
Right now I am using ce8 clearomizers and have been for several months. I really like them maybe one of the shops you've been going to has them.

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
No I Don't know if the resistance were different. I'm a total newbie to this and I don't know much other than how to fill a tank and press the button and puff. They should offer courses on this stuff, I have no vaping kNowledge :(

If you're looking for knowledge you've come to the right place. Questions are meant to be asked so keep on asking them. Keep searching the forum too. You should be able to post in other sections of the forum now so maybe hit up some other areas with your questions.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
So I was uSing the twist and the cheap disposable clearomizers CE4. My problem was that I liked the vape I got with the CE4 but I was haVing to toss them after only a couple of days because of burning them up so fast. The girl at the vapor shop said they are crap and suggested a glass tank,I got a kanger protank, in a few days it fell apart and no longer works. I went to another shop today....the sales girl Suggested another tank, she called it an MT3s I belIeve,($16) well, it seems nice quality and the vape is very smooth, but the throat hit now seems weaker and I'm getting an after taste almost bitter like soap. Im using 70/30 jUice 18mg nic........I lOved the way this juice tasted in the cheap clearos, but its not the same now. Also can somEone please tell me what the point of haVing a twist is when I cant turn it higher than the seCond setting volts without getting a charred burned taste no matter what juice I use. The girl said if u turn it up on the higher settings, it will burn up like that no matter what tank you use.....so why even have the option for higher voltage? Back to the original pRoblem....should I just uPgrade to another device Completely or where do I go from here, I want a decent throat hit, good vapor, and I want my jUice to taste good! Not like charcoal or soap! Thanks.

Dunno about the MT3's, but if you liked the CE4's, then you might want to try the CE5's. The CE5's are almost exactly the same as the CE4's, but the coil is replaceable. Also, with a bit of playing around, you can re-coil the CE5's yourself with little know how (although I don't suggest this unless you have some way of checking the ohms first).

As to the root of the problem, you could be gunking it up your coils due to the liquid. Low maintenance liquid is hard to come by, and many tobacco or sweet flavors have the tendency to gum up your atomizer. It could also be the power/ohm setting you have. There's no way of knowing without knowing specific ohm/voltage settings. But it might be worth checking in to.

Why have an EGO twist? well, the lady at the counter was not entirely truthful. I do recommend starting with the lowest, and turning it up slightly to get your preferred vape. if you turn it up too high, you can burn up the wicks, but that depends on the ohm rating of your coils. Try a higher ohm coil and see if that works.

Now the MT3, is a kanger tank. It's a bottom feeding tank. The only issues I'd find, is getting replacement coils for it. Just for a quick reference... bottom coils = cooler vape, less throat hit, top coils = warmer vape + a bit more throat hit. You might want to post which ohm you are using.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I never did try a clearomizer that ever let me turn up the voltage until I tried my friends aspire nautilus. I don't know how long heads last for it but it will handle higher voltage. I think the best thing for you would be some 3 ohm cartomizers. They handle higher voltage way better then any clearomizer I have ever tried. They can be had on the cheap at a buck or 2 each and if you put them in a tank you can vape 5 mls before you have to refill. I hate clearomizers! They never seem to just work all the time without fiddling. Sorry your having such a crummy time of it. The one bad thing about vaping is that in the beginning you have to try and usually buy quite a few different things before you find what works best for you. It's out there though. I promise. Good luck and don't give up.

joshneedham

Feb 21, 2014
Chicago, IL
I personally prefer the ~$6 evod to the $20+ protank; good airflow, easily findable coils, cheap and comes in cool colors or stainless steel. When I first tried the protank, I hated it and got odd flavor from it as well. What I learned is that you have to take advantage of it being disassemblable and clean it very well with soap and hot water, and rinse it well and let it dry. After I did that, the flavor was much improved. I still prefer my evods though, super easy and in my opinion, the ideal airflow.

ohaya

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
USA
I'm really new at vaping, and until today, had been using some simple equipment (well, probably still am), but I just received an itaste V3, which is VV/VW (my 1st one), and I've been messing with it this evening.

The thing is... I thought all of the stuff I'd been reading about different ohms/voltage/wattage affecting taste was kind of "mythical", but now that I have the itaste and have been trying different power settings, I've been very surprised (sorry) that I can actually taste a notable difference, with a given liquid. Note that, up until today, I didn't have the ability to change either voltage or power (for a given resistance) at all, so this is a kind of whole new ball game for me :)!!

skittles12

Feb 9, 2014
Memphis, TN
Looks like I've got alot of reading to do on this forum. Im still getting a soap taste and I've literally only had this tank a couple of hours. Not sure if I should dump out this juice and try a different flavor.....this aint gonna cut it though. Tastes like there is Palmolive dish soap mixed with my juice, ugh. I hope it doesn't take forever to find what works well for me. What a bummer.

Tanks are just .......s. I love my pro tanks now, but i had to kind of master them. You have to really understand how every little thing works, and maintain them at a high level. Clean, dry burn, experiment with flavor wicks and even if you never rebuild it helps to know every aspect of how the coils work. Godspeed.

jonhall2

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
cashiers, nc
i started with the same set-up as that was included in the starter kit but i got two kanger t3s and two extra ego-twist. i really like clearomizers due to the ease to see when your filling and whats left. high vg and sweet juices will clog the wick sooner. even with a 2.5 ohm coil you will only be able to crank up an ego to a max of 4.5v. that's pushing it. 4 or 4.2v would be better and i think last longer. personally, i like a lower ohm head 1.2-1.5 and leave the ego at 3.2v all the way down. have to build those yourself with 30 guage wire. the larger wire exposes more surface area to your juice when heated and a better vape no matter the low voltage. Kangers replacement coils usually come with a higher resistance than the box says so an ohm meter is necessary to know how much voltage is truly allowed. a vv/vw device was my next step and finally a dna20 device with built ohm meter changed my vape world forever for the better. when it comes to catos clearos tanks or whatever it still boils down to a wick and a wire. it doesn't matter what holds your liquid, unless it's corrosive you'll need pyrex, and i have found cotton so far to be my favorite wick. i started rewicking coils before building from scratch. good vaping
Dunno about the MT3's, but if you liked the CE4's, then you might want to try the CE5's. The CE5's are almost exactly the same as the CE4's, but the coil is replaceable. Also, with a bit of playing around, you can re-coil the CE5's yourself with little know how (although I don't suggest this unless you have some way of checking the ohms first).

As to the root of the problem, you could be gunking it up your coils due to the liquid. Low maintenance liquid is hard to come by, and many tobacco or sweet flavors have the tendency to gum up your atomizer. It could also be the power/ohm setting you have. There's no way of knowing without knowing specific ohm/voltage settings. But it might be worth checking in to.

Why have an EGO twist? well, the lady at the counter was not entirely truthful. I do recommend starting with the lowest, and turning it up slightly to get your preferred vape. if you turn it up too high, you can burn up the wicks, but that depends on the ohm rating of your coils. Try a higher ohm coil and see if that works.

Now the MT3, is a kanger tank. It's a bottom feeding tank. The only issues I'd find, is getting replacement coils for it. Just for a quick reference... bottom coils = cooler vape, less throat hit, top coils = warmer vape + a bit more throat hit. You might want to post which ohm you are using.

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT
I personally prefer the ~$6 evod to the $20+ protank; good airflow, easily findable coils, cheap and comes in cool colors or stainless steel. When I first tried the protank, I hated it and got odd flavor from it as well. What I learned is that you have to take advantage of it being disassemblable and clean it very well with soap and hot water, and rinse it well and let it dry. After I did that, the flavor was much improved. I still prefer my evods though, super easy and in my opinion, the ideal airflow.

I agree with this and if you want a good, solid step up from there, the Kanger MINI pro-tank v2 is a an even better choice in my opinion. The actual protank (larger of the two) is a lot more fussy to deal with, it's not an "out of box perfection" type thing. The mini is my daily go-to and I'm into all sorts of stuff in the vaping world.

Some tips? Make sure you're priming your wick. Dab a bit on the wicks and then fill your tank...it'll help get the juices going. You can also try sucking on the e-cig without hitting the fire button, that'll do the same thing and is a good thing to do once or twice if you start to "sense" your wick running dry. As was mentioned, some juices gunk your coils up...some faster than others. (Can be a day, a week...maybe a couple at most.) I prefer a juice that does it less myself and that's a quality I generally look for in a liquid. You can clean them...let 'em sit in Vodka or (better yet) Everclear overnight and then dry them out. Many of us get into rebuilding, too, for new coil's to be cheap...but that's probably more than you want to think about right now.

As for variable voltage...the resistance of the coil (the thing that heats up and vaporizes the liquid) has a significant impact. I don't want to bore you with the technical details, but essentially, VV allows you to tweak the vapor for taste, regardless of the coil's resistance. This action can have a dramatic impact on the taste, the amount of vapor you get and the temperature of the vape you get. It sounds to me like you probably have a low resistance coil.

Hope you get things figured out. It's not hard, but there's definitely more to it than smoking. Be patient with it and you'll find the right thing. Once you do, vaping will become easy...and maybe even enjoyable. Good luck!

Edit: Just read your last post, sorry. Some juices just suck. I mean...reallly...really suck. I had at least four from my B&M and it took me awhile to figure out it was just terrible. It's some online vendors too, but many are good/great. Read the juice reviews in the e-liquid forum, there's also two forums dedicated to juice reviews for recommendations.

Last edited:

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I have a Smok Winder 1300mAh and have charged it twice, now it won't charge. What do I do?

I don't know of any specific tips for that device, but assuming you've made sure the connection points on the battery and charger were clean, and that any lights are doing what they are supposed to when charging, are they? The next option is to give the vendor a call, hopefully they can get you fixed up over the phone or replace under warranty. Seems to new to be failing like that. If you start your own thread maybe someone who has a little more experience with the device would see it and help.

ttanner2005

Feb 27, 2014
Tennessee
I don't know of any specific tips for that device, but assuming you've made sure the connection points on the battery and charger were clean, and that any lights are doing what they are supposed to when charging, are they? The next option is to give the vendor a call, hopefully they can get you fixed up over the phone or replace under warranty. Seems to new to be failing like that. If you start your own thread maybe someone who has a little more experience with the device would see it and help.
The light stays green and doesn't go to red for charging. I'm new and can't start my own thread yet.

rucni

ECF Veteran
ttanner2005 you might want to take the battery back to the shop you got it from, or if ordered offline to a shop near you and have them look at it. i have one of my ego-t 950mah batteries work fine for me for months, gave it to a friend and it shorted out on them first time they tried to charge it. not sure what happened there but now-a-days nothing is meant to last for ever and its possible QA missed a bad unit. dont let it get you down. feel free to PM me if you have any other question.

skittles12

Feb 9, 2014
Memphis, TN
Soap taste is probably due to you washing them in soapy water! Don't, as hot water works fine as well as dropping the hot water rinsed coil into a shot glass of everclear or vodka for 24 hours. Rinse them with hot water, blow the water out from the chimney and set aside to dry.
The tank is brand new, I took it from the package and put it straight on to my device, I never washed it. I've got my battery turned to the lowest voltage and it tastes pretty bad....I feel like I wasted my money on this tank. Are u supposed to wash new tanks before use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread