Frustrated with DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Might try working on the creams and fruits separately, nail the cream base then add the fruit blend. Skunk was dead on about pairing sb and dragon fruit.
Same as tobacco I like to steep custards in large batches and add fruit later. The fruit flavors keep their freshness and the custard has time to really come together.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you for the message. I have generally tried the fruit at around 5 percent. When I didn't notice any taste i went to 10 percent. The cream may be around 1 to 2 percent.

Try using a Sweetener with your Fruit Mixes.

I like TFA Sweetener (basically Sucralose). It doesn't need any Steeping. Just add a Few Drops/30ml, Shake and vape. If it doesn't Sweeten/Enhance the Fruit Flavor, then add a Few More Drops.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
For that I would do 15%-20% and steep 5 days at least.

I even go that high on tobacco flavors, mixed with French vanilla, graham cracker, and a bit of sweetener.
Once you find something you like, keep making backup 60ml batches which give you plenty of steep time. Mine are typically 45 to 60 days old by the time I use them.
Good luck and keep trying. It is really worth the effort.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
for about two months now. So far I have only had success with one recipe. Nothing else I have been trying works out. Even single flavours aren’t working out.
For me, DIY is the most challenging aspect of vaping. Your not alone. For years I have only managed about 10 recipes that I consistently liked over many hundreds of recipes. My taste is always changing so finding a great recipe is like trying to hit a moving target. I see you like a recipe with RY 4, one of my favorite flavors.
Reviewed many articles on-line and on this site as well
I stick with tobaccos, they are the easiest flavor to work with. Might like to read:
https://www.thevaperstable.com/flavorah-tobaccos-part-1/
Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only
Workgroup Tobacco Reviews : CloudCollective
For example, I even tried something super simple which was TFA’s Strawberry. Mixed it at five percent. Nothing. Added a few more drops in. Nothing.
90% of the fruit flavors are not for me, I tend to focus on bakery mixes. It helps to narrow down your vape flavor category and stick to primarily with flavors you think you should enjoy. Here's my list breakdown which may inspire:
Bakery
Butterscotch / Butter Rum/Toffee
Caramel
Chocolate
Cinnamon
Creams/Custards/Vanilla/MM/CC
Nut
Peanut Butter
Tobacco
MISC SINGLES/Fruit etc.

• Useful
Reactions: madstabber

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
For me, DIY is the most challenging aspect of vaping. Your not alone. For years I have only managed about 10 recipes that I consistently liked over many hundreds of recipes. My taste is always changing so finding a great recipe is like trying to hit a moving target. I see you like a recipe with RY 4, one of my favorite flavors.

I stick with tobaccos, they are the easiest flavor to work with. Might like to read:
https://www.thevaperstable.com/flavorah-tobaccos-part-1/
Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only
Workgroup Tobacco Reviews : CloudCollective

90% of the fruit flavors are not for me, I tend to focus on bakery mixes. It helps to narrow down your vape flavor category and stick to primarily with flavors you think you should enjoy. Here's my list breakdown which may inspire:
Bakery
Butterscotch / Butter Rum/Toffee
Caramel
Chocolate
Cinnamon
Creams/Custards/Vanilla/MM/CC
Nut
Peanut Butter
Tobacco
MISC SINGLES/Fruit etc.
Hey BrotherBob, do you have a peanut butter flavoring that you recommend? I have DIYFS expert peanut butter and don’t care for it. I’ve tried it solo at 1% and 3% to get a feel for it and it’s not very good either way. I don’t care for it and I think if I went higher I’d like it even less. So if you have some experience with peanut butter flavoring which do you recommend, at what %, and what do you like it best combined with? If you don’t mind, if that’s too much sharing just brand and %, if that’s too much just brand, if that’s too much there’s an ignore button.:facepalm::tumble:

Reactions: BrotherBob

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Peanut butter is a category of interest to me. Up until a year ago, I have experimented with many PB combos. The best up till now has been:
CA Peanut Butter 6%
+
TFA Peanut Butter 3%
These two flavors in 2 to 1 portions (as a base or stone) have worked good for me with the typical other adders to define the mix (PB cup, PB and jelly sandwich etc...).

I received a FLV PB sample from ECX. My single review:
FLV Peanut Butter 1.5% (might want to start at 0.5% and work up.)
Well worth the extra cost. M.VG 0mg Rating: 8.0/10 Near perfect,slight taste of staleness, adds realism. Not too dry/sweet. Standalone/single YES
Have not tried mixing yet, might be able to accent/play with wetness and sweetness. Do not know if standalone has "legs" (longevity of taste etc.). If you are a PB lover this is the one so far (TPA+CA not so much now).

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Peanut butter is a category of interest to me. Up until a year ago, I have experimented with many PB combos. The best up till now has been:
CA Peanut Butter 6%
+
TFA Peanut Butter 3%
These two flavors in 2 to 1 portions (as a base or stone) have worked good for me with the typical other adders to define the mix (PB cup, PB and jelly sandwich etc...).

I received a FLV PB sample from ECX. My single review:
FLV Peanut Butter 1.5% (might want to start at 0.5% and work up.)
Well worth the extra cost. M.VG 0mg Rating: 8.0/10 Near perfect,slight taste of staleness, adds realism. Not too dry/sweet. Standalone/single YES
Have not tried mixing yet, might be able to accent/play with wetness and sweetness. Do not know if standalone has "legs" (longevity of taste etc.). If you are a PB lover this is the one so far (TPA+CA not so much now).
Thank you, I’ll give them a try. I’m a big fan of PB and your post was very helpful and thorough.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Hmm, not sure I could trust advice on aromas coming from someone with a Skunk moniker ... just saying. :blink:

I kid, I kid! :D

You have gotten some good advice here and I'm sure more will follow should you need it. I hope you decide to stick with it. I'm pretty sure all of us who diy felt frustrated at one point or another as well but now, I can't even fathom buying commercial juice.

• Agree
Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread