Frustrated with diy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenCloud79

Feb 12, 2018
Its been a few months of mixing, and a lot of waisted liquid. To be somewhat expected I guess. The only mixes that taste even close to commercial have been stand alone tobacco. All fruit/cream/chocolate blends ive made both original and copied with exact flavors and steep time have come out extremely bland, and none have that wow factor ive experienced with commercial juice. Ive experimented with sweeteners and ethol, adding a very small amount because ive heard too much sweetener dulls flavor and still my juice just tastes bleeeeh. Ive tried 8% flavoring to up to 20% and capturing a sweet spot has completly eluded me. Seriously have no idea what im doing wrong, or if diy juice is just more dull than commercial juice, contemplating throwing in the towel with this hobby. If someone has a simple recipe with like 2 flavors that has that wow sweet feel, id gladly get the exact flavoring just to give me a bit of hope, but after countless hours on recipe databases im spent. Does anyone have an example that I can go off to help me thanks.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
my first venture into diy juice was a peanut butter and banana...i could live on peanut butter and banana sandwiches But woah! too much banana so it sets and ages while i play with other blends...my first succesful mix was “Pecan Pie with My Coffee”...got it pretty much right on first try and now it is my go to vape...recipe is by weight..7 gm pecan pie, 5 gm coffee and 3 g honey. 30 pg / 70 vg...substituting almond for the pie is nice too

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I'm not sure if you've seen this thread but I've found a couple that were quick, easy and very tasty.

Recipes for Dummies

When I started I mixed recipes with just a couple flavors and it made it a little easier. I also search for some simple stuff on the web. Here is a list of sites that have recipes.

DIY E-Liquid | E-Cigarette Forum
E-Liquid Recipes | E-Cigarette Forum
For recipes only!!!!!!! | E-Cigarette Forum
EcigExpress Archive Cookbook | Your favorite e-liquid recipes
Clone Recipes | Homemade E-juice Recipes
E-liquid recipes | dot1ml
diyRecipeBook
Mega TFA / TPA Recipe Thread : DIY_eJuice (TFA/TPA)
Solid list of DIY clones! : DIY_eJuice
hic : cerealkillaclone (FA)
ejuicerecipeforum-the place for DIY e-juice lovers
E-Liquid Mixing Recipes | Make My Vape
E-Liquid Recipes | Planet of the Vapes
99Juices
Zoho Creator -DIY e-Juice Recipe Book
UK Vapers - Juice Recipes
Recipe mega thread
Accueil - Le DIY pour les Nuls
FLAVOR CHARTS Page | BAKE IT RIGHT
Flavor Profiles that Pair Together in Recipes - Nouveau RawNouveau Raw
Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only | E-Cigarette Forum
Botboy141 Guide to Mixing By Weight • r/DIY_eJuice
http://www.kritikalmass.net/
http://www.lediypourlesnuls.com/
https://diyordievaping.com/category/recipes/all-recipes/
The Ultimate Guide on How To Make Vape Juice & E-Liquid
E-Liquid Recipe Book
Fruit E-Juice Recipes – E-Juice Makers
Recipes for Dummies (ECF Thread)
Beginner’s Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes
DIY Eliquid Recipes: All the Flavors

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, the one shots should help you figure that out. But, I doubt it is vaper's tongue. It sounds like you've tried a lot of things and haven't met with success yet. One shots can build confidence and also allow you to steep your other juices longer. Some juices (tobaccos in particular) just require long steeping times . It may be a simple as waiting, or you may need to try some different mixes and experiments.

It does take time to get used to DIY if you were used to very strong flavors, I think. To me, nowadays, commercial juices taste overflavored and harsh.

I started with single flavors that I allowed to steep, to determine individual steeping times, and then combined them in my tank at first. It isn't the same as steeping together, but it did give me a sense of how my flavor "building blocks" progressed and the varying steep times. It was a slower start and I also had some storebought juices that I would often combine with that same flavor, a) to ease my transition and b) also gave me more information about one particular flavor.

This slow start enabled me to figure out what I liked, what I didn't, and I did a ton of (commercial) flavor testing before hand to figure out my flavor profiles, what I liked, and what I didn't That gave me confidence moving forward with recipes *I* created, not anyone else. My tongue knows what it likes, and now I know how to provide it with what it likes. The gradual transition got me "used to". DIY. I can flavor for others, but I usually use more flavoring, especially if they are used to vaping storebought. That seems to be working out for them, and I try to get at least a primary flavor in there that is going to not require a huge amount of steeping. Sometimes I will do a "quick and dirty" heat steep water bath to get things moving more quickly, but my preference over time seems to have gotten more subtle and I flavor at fairly low percentage (5--8%ish) and am a "reluctant" sweetener.

Best of luck, but I think the one shots may give you some of the confidence you need. DIY isn't rocket science, but it's often plodding along slowly, especially in the beginning. I kept my expectations low at the start, knowing I was working toward later success, and that helped too.

Best of luck!

Anna

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
I agree with some previous posters, give the one shots a try. Like you I've had many more misses than hits, so far the one shots that I've tried have all been hits. I just ordered 8 more one shots, so I'm hooked on them. ECX has about the largest selection that I've been able to find.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm not sure if you've seen this thread but I've found a couple that were quick, easy and very tasty.

Recipes for Dummies

When I started I mixed recipes with just a couple flavors and it made it a little easier. I also search for some simple stuff on the web. Here is a list of sites that have recipes.

DIY E-Liquid | E-Cigarette Forum
E-Liquid Recipes | E-Cigarette Forum
For recipes only!!!!!!! | E-Cigarette Forum
EcigExpress Archive Cookbook | Your favorite e-liquid recipes
Clone Recipes | Homemade E-juice Recipes
E-liquid recipes | dot1ml
diyRecipeBook
Mega TFA / TPA Recipe Thread : DIY_eJuice (TFA/TPA)
Solid list of DIY clones! : DIY_eJuice
hic : cerealkillaclone (FA)
ejuicerecipeforum-the place for DIY e-juice lovers
E-Liquid Mixing Recipes | Make My Vape
E-Liquid Recipes | Planet of the Vapes
99Juices
Zoho Creator -DIY e-Juice Recipe Book
UK Vapers - Juice Recipes
Recipe mega thread
Accueil - Le DIY pour les Nuls
FLAVOR CHARTS Page | BAKE IT RIGHT
Flavor Profiles that Pair Together in Recipes - Nouveau RawNouveau Raw
Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only | E-Cigarette Forum
Botboy141 Guide to Mixing By Weight • r/DIY_eJuice
http://www.kritikalmass.net/
http://www.lediypourlesnuls.com/
All Recipes – DIY OR DIE Vaping
The Ultimate Guide on How To Make Vape Juice & E-Liquid
E-Liquid Recipe Book
Fruit E-Juice Recipes – E-Juice Makers
Recipes for Dummies (ECF Thread)
Beginner’s Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes
DIY Eliquid Recipes: All the Flavors
PDF link?;)

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Another thought is to check out the community recipe packs at Bull City. You get the recipe and can easily order the flavors {10 or 30ml amounts}. It will not only give you a nice proven recipe but you can see how the recipe is made. Especially how using multiple "same" flavors add complexity to recipes.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

I have made my fair share of unvapable juice over the last year, even more of just vapable.

I'll buy juices I know I have no chance of duplicating. But over time, I've become less concerned with making knockout flavors as I am satisfied with knowing how much money I'm saving.

For sure though, I am considering trying out these one shots.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    I haven’t seen this mentioned but what atomizer are you using? Maybe you need to swap a factory coil out or build something different if it’s an RTA .
    If you don’t have an rda they can be very helpful to test out new mixes.
    My ADV is super delicious, nicotine river is the only place I’ve seen it sold. It’s Purilum sweet tobacco mixed at 7% and Inawera gold ducat at 2-3%. If you enjoy light tobaccos with some sweetness but not a lot. Just a good solid flavor that keeps my tastebuds interested. I vape this or a slight variation. Sweet Tobacco is the main and I’ve added banana nut bread at 2-3%. So if you want to add a different flavor it works but the sweet T is a great base. Just keep the total flavor % under 10%. Even sweet T at 7-10% is a great vape. I hope this helps, I feel for you and understand how frustrating it can be to find a great mix. Good luck and keep fighting the good fight.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    ... Ive experimented with sweeteners and ethol, adding a very small amount because ive heard too much sweetener dulls flavor and still my juice just tastes bleeeeh... ... If someone has a simple recipe with like 2 flavors that has that wow sweet feel, ....

Maybe you Can't get to that Wow Sweet Flavor because you are using the Wrong Sweetener?

Have you tried using TFA Sweetener?

Snicks

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 7, 2013
    Riverside, CA
    I found for me that locating recipes online and modifying them to my personal tastes has worked out well.

I make quite a few different recipes but I have my main all day vape that I make large batches of. It is by far better than most commercial juices I have bought and I bet I could sell it. I only vape fruit blends for the most part but recently started making some fruit and cream or dessert blends.

Not every recipe works out but you just have to keep at it. Maybe try simpler blends until you start getting successful.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Its been a few months of mixing, and a lot of waisted liquid. To be somewhat expected I guess. The only mixes that taste even close to commercial have been stand alone tobacco. All fruit/cream/chocolate blends ive made both original and copied with exact flavors and steep time have come out extremely bland, and none have that wow factor ive experienced with commercial juice. Ive experimented with sweeteners and ethol, adding a very small amount because ive heard too much sweetener dulls flavor and still my juice just tastes bleeeeh. Ive tried 8% flavoring to up to 20% and capturing a sweet spot has completly eluded me. Seriously have no idea what im doing wrong, or if diy juice is just more dull than commercial juice, contemplating throwing in the towel with this hobby. If someone has a simple recipe with like 2 flavors that has that wow sweet feel, id gladly get the exact flavoring just to give me a bit of hope, but after countless hours on recipe databases im spent. Does anyone have an example that I can go off to help me thanks.
    Might like to really read:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/dannyv45.130984/
    diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
    http://www.thevaperstable.com/diy/
    http://www.ejuicemakers.com/help/
    Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
    http://diyordievaping.com/category/latestnews/beginnertips/
    A Beginner's Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes by Scottes777 • r/electronic_cigarette
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...es-and-safety-for-the-first-time-juicer.5096/
    It's pretty simple really. You pick a recipe that you think you might like, mix it (along with others 3-5 ml batches works for me.), steep 4 weeks minimum. If one in 10 are a ADV, you a winner.

ZenCloud79

Feb 12, 2018
    Good links thanks all, im going to check those out. The fruits I have are blackberry, black currant, pineapple natural, natural strawberry, blueberry, mango, pear, kiwi, all from flavor west. Tfa green apple, orange merange , and tangerine flavor west. I have orange cream bar i think its fwizard too. Waiting on sweet strawberry , mts flavor wizard, and golden pineapple from cap. The sweetener is from flavor west. The mod I use is wismec 300w with a .2 coil in the gnome tank that came with it, usually run it from 40-70w

Last edited:
    • Useful
    Reactions: Letitia
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread