Gas Mods GR1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Anyone got any ideas on how to stop the horrendous spitback I’m getting? The liquid is just sitting on the top of the drip tip so all I’m tasting is the liquid on my lips - not the vape!

Tried tighter wick
Tried looser wick
Raised the coil
Lowered the coil
Tried spaced coil
Tried contact coil
Tried bigger wicks
Tried smaller wicks
Tried different drip tip but all look like a smashed cabbage

HELP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Got a 2.5mm fused in there, 0.25.

Would you mind taking a picture of your build? See if I can suss out where it’s going wrong.

c57cb0691c5d34bfc94b5ea22c2cacf5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Last edited:
Reactions: Twins Win

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
I’ve just switched to the smaller airflow holes (which is a shame because I really liked it with the larger ones) and it seems to have solved it. That and I’ve made the wick incredibly tight in the coil.

DJLSB mentioned the looseness of his larger airflow holes and my ones were creating massive turbulence when I used it. Im thinking the looseness is creating sudden shots of air which then disrupt the airflow and send the juice up to my mouth.

It’s still a good vape. Really regretting not getting the C4 or Recurve now though. [emoji34]

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
So were your larger airflow adapters a loose fit like they were in DJLSBs video where they wiggle? Or were you just referring to a more loose airflow with the larger adapters?

If it's the adapters moving, then maybe remove them and try without them if you want more airflow. Daniel mentioned this as an option as well if I recall.

I picked up the GR1 as well, but it's still in the box, haven't gotten to it yet. I was planning on going with the larger airflow adapters, I'll keep in mind what you've found when I try it.

I'm not familiar with the C4, but have really been enjoying the Recurve lately.

Another good single coiler that doesn't get enough praise is the Hotcig Castle. It's got a deceiving amount of airflow compared to just looking at the airflow slots. Smooth airflow as well. Also less expensive than the Recurve and GR1, at least in the states. I rebuilt my Castle yesterday in anticipation of having a Aurora for it to sit on next week. Nice little squonk topper.

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Thanks for the reply! Yes I meant the airflow plugs move loosely like DJLSB found, ie not secure - not the looser airflow. I can move them around where they sit in the deck with a slight touch from tweezers. Whereas the smaller airflow plugs are very much stuck where they sit.

I may use some of the replacement o rings a bit later to see if that creates a better seal. Yeah I did consider not having any plugs in at all but it looked like the coil would have to sit very low in the deck, but the bigger issue I thought it would have is the liquid coming out of the airflow when squonking. There’s only a tiny little lip to stop the liquid just coming out whereas with the plugs they are angled up which gives you a bit of a well.
It is an option though and it may work. If I don’t get anywhere with the bigger airflow plugs I’ll give it a go.

The C4 is by Asmodus and ironically is the same price as I paid for the GR1 where I get my gear. So slightly kicking myself. Bogan and a guy called ‘vape don’t smoke’ have done reviews for it and it does look like a solid RDA - seems to be being touted as slightly better than the recurve so worth a little bit of research I guess.

Yes I keep seeing people mentioning the castle so I’ll definitely watch some videos to see what I think.

My goal is to find a single coil squonk I really like and then eventually get a single battery squonk - possibly mech, possibly not. I just don’t want to spend all the cash and find it’s not for me (I like my Drop and Bonza!) and then have a single batt that I change every hour or so.

• Informative
Reactions: Mysteron

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I run the large airflow tubes. My GR1s with a serial number under 6000 have loose airflow tubes and the negative post is held on by a Philips head screw, where as the GR1s with serial numbers above 6000 have tight airflow tubes and the negative post is held on with Allen head screws. I'm pretty sure gas mods tweaked production to fix those issues the first runs of them had.

I fixed my loose airflow tubes on my older GR1s by putting a tiny smear of gasket maker in the o-ring channel on the airflow tubes. Just a tiny bit applied with a toothpick should fix it up.

I don't have a good camera on this device, so I'll snap a pic of my build as soon as I get the chance to with a camera you will be able to actually see detail with.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thanks bud. My serial number is over 6000 so I guess they didn’t get them all! I’ve replaced the o rings on the larger airflow so I’ll have a fiddle in a bit and see if they are any better.

That is to be expected when dealing with friction fit, rubber to metal. I assume that is why they supplied so many extra o-rings. If changing the o-rings don't help, try the gasket maker trick I mentioned. It fixes it up nice and tight.

Reactions: HenTheKing

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I just realized something. After always hearing people talk about spitting with this RDA, and I never once experienced that, I tried different draw methods. When I try to inhale hard and fast, I get a lot of spitting. I never got spitting when I inhale my normal method of slow and easy. I suspect this may be why it is spitting for most that have that problem.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I have to wipe my tip off just as much as I do with my other RDAs. Just the standard condensation build up is all I get, the wasp nano is way worse than my GR1s, so bad that I had to end up putting a decent sized 510 tip on it so I wasn't drinking the juice and condensation (though I find it quite tasty sometimes, lol).

Here is a pic of my build. Just an FYI, that was my last coil I had in my my coil box and it is a little jacked up, they usually look much better than this one does.
IMG_0368.jpg

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
I have to wipe my tip off just as much as I do with my other RDAs. Just the standard condensation build up is all I get, the wasp nano is way worse than my GR1s, so bad that I had to end up putting a decent sized 510 tip on it so I wasn't drinking the juice and condensation (though I find it quite tasty sometimes, lol).

Here is a pic of my build. Just an FYI, that was my last coil I had in my my coil box and it is a little jacked up, they usually look much better than this one does.
View attachment 746011

If I could post my build I think you’d agree it looks very similar!

I’ve solved it, replaced o rings on both plugs and they are both sitting solidly now. Also, I think what’s happening is I’m over squonking it and that’s not helping the liquid coming up to the drip tip.

I’m very happy with the vape (it’s as flavourful as my dual coil rdas, maybe I’m not coiling/wicking them right lol) and the spit back I can probably sort out once I get really used to this RDA. I only got it yesterday.

Phew! Appreciate all the advice buddy! [emoji106]

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If I could post my build I think you’d agree it looks very similar!

I’ve solved it, replaced o rings on both plugs and they are both sitting solidly now. Also, I think what’s happening is I’m over squonking it and that’s not helping the liquid coming up to the drip tip.

I’m very happy with the vape (it’s as flavourful as my dual coil rdas, maybe I’m not coiling/wicking them right lol) and the spit back I can probably sort out once I get really used to this RDA. I only got it yesterday.

Phew! Appreciate all the advice buddy! [emoji106]

Squonking on it does have a learning curve, a very unforgiving one at that. But I'm sure you will get the feel for it over time.

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Don’t worry I have the exact same thing. The spitback is horrendous. If I find a solution I will let you know.

Put a 2.5mm Kanthal fused clapton in today, higher ohm as I read a higher ohm is better, comes in at 0.34.

The spitback is horrific. Actual proper spitback hitting the back of my throat and the dreaded wet tip which I absolutely cannot stand.

Defeated by a tiny, gobby RDA. [emoji24]

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Put a 2.5mm Kanthal fused clapton in today, higher ohm as I read a higher ohm is better, comes in at 0.34.

The spitback is horrific. Actual proper spitback hitting the back of my throat and the dreaded wet tip which I absolutely cannot stand.

Defeated by a tiny, gobby RDA. [emoji24]

The best I have managed to do is a spaced ss316 coil. It goes against the grain, but I raised the coil right up and thinned out the wick tails. That stopped the projectile lava type spitting, but doesn’t stop the “pooling” that you describe as much as I would like. A longer drip tip would probably solve that part.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread