hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m very excited to be back with another review. I was sent the Aegis X Ultimate Beast with Cerberus sub ohm tank for review by Geekvape. I have reviewed other mods in the past that came with the Cerberus tank but they came with different coils than what was included with this one so I will cover the Cerberus again. The Aegis X is available as a kit or the mod by itself. I’ve had the Aegis X kit for almost two weeks now and am liking it very well. Let’s go ahead and take a look at it.

What’s in the box?

• One Aegis X mod

• One Cerberus Tank atomizer with Super mesh X1 .2 ohm coil installed and 5.5ml bubble glass

• One spare Super mesh X1 .2 ohm coil

• One spare straight 4ml straight glass

• One spare parts pack

• One usb cable

• One user manual

upload_2019-10-5_20-2-2.jpg

Specifications:

• 5 to 200W Output
      • GeekVape AS Chip
        Seven Total Output Modes
      • 0.05 to 3.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
    • Temperature Control Suite
      • Ni200 Nickel Support
      • Titanium Support
      • SS316 Support
      • Kanthal Support
      • POWER Support
      • TCR Mod
      • VPC Support
    • Durable through terrain
      • Military Standard 810G-516.6 Shockproof System
      • IP67 Water Proof and Dustproof System
    • 2.4 Inch Color Display
      • Amp Range
      • Output Power
      • Atomizer Resistance
      • Battery Life Indicator
      • Puff Counter
      • Neatly Displayed
      • Brightness Adjustment
        • Increase Brightness
        • Fire Button + Up Button
        • Decrease Brightness
        • Fire Button + Down Button
      • Stealth Mode
    • Carbon Steel Push to Open Bottom Latch Battery Access Door
      • Dual High Amperage 18650
        • Sold Separately
    • Zinc, Leather, Silicone, and Aluminum Materials
    • Rubber Plugged Micro USB Port
      • 1A Charging and Updating
    • Spring Loaded Gold Plated 510 Connection
      • Powder Coated Stainless Steel
    • Low Voltage/Current/Output Short Circuit/Load/Low Resistance/Overheating
    • 90mm by 56.1mm by 31.3mm

• Cerberus Sub Ohm Tank
      • 25mm Diameter
    • Half Turn Top Fill System
      • 5.5ml Maximum Capacity
    • Super Mesh Coil Family
      • Mesh X1
        • 0.2 ohm
        • KA1
        • Vertical Coil
        • 30 to 90W
        • 60 to 80W Recommended
      • Mesh X2
        • 0.3 ohm
        • KA1
        • Vertical Coil
        • 30 to 45W
        • 30 to 40 Recommended
    • Dual Adjustable Bottom Airflow System
      • 11mm by 2mm Each Air slot
      • Fully Closeable
    • 9mm Tapered 810 Wide Bore Drip Tip
    • Gold Plated 510
    • Stainless Steel and Glass Construction
    • Leak Proof Design
    • Top Fill Design

First Impressions:

I think the X is a welcome addition to the Aegis line. I had heard some folks voice concerns as to whether the large color screen would greatly reduce the battery life. This has not really been my experience. I installed a set of batteries when I first received it that were charged but not freshly charged. They had been sitting in a battery case ready for use. I didn’t change batteries until I had hit the 400 puff mark with the unit set most of the time at 32.5 watts on the .2 ohm Cerberus super mesh coil. There was still some battery life left but decided to change batteries since both were showing one mark on the display. Honestly this setting is probably a little low for these coils but I don’t normally run tanks much higher than that simply because of my personal vaping style. I did eventually work it up to 35 watts to get the flavor that I was looking for.

I like that the X has all of the normal options that you see on most high quality mods these days ( Temperature Control, Power, TCR, and Variable Power Curve, Bypass) and also has different wallpapers that you can choose to somewhat personalize the display. The menu seems easy to navigate to me. Three clicks of the fire button and you are into the menu. You can either use the + and – buttons to change the highlighted setting or click the fire button to move to the next option. Once finished with making changes, simply wait a few seconds and it will return to operating mode and be ready for use. Geekvape has also added three new modes which are Powerful, Standard, and Soft. I can definitely tell the difference when switching between the three with the wattage set the same.

The X has the IP67 waterproof rating as well as a military shock proof rating that Geekvape has become known for on their Aegis line of products. Although many do not recommend charging the batteries inside a mod, it has a 5V/ 2A charge rating. It has the same built in safety features that all of the Aegis line have. It also has M1-M4 memory locations so one could have four different settings saved for easy access.

I have reviewed the Cerberus tank before but when I reviewed it, it included the .3 ohm Super mesh X2 coils. This kit was shipped to me with the X1 .2 ohm coils which are recommended for 60-80 watts while the X2 .3 ohm coil is recommended for 30-45 watts which is closer to where I am comfortable running. I did find that I could run the X1 coil at around 35 watts but it took one or two primer puffs to heat the coil to get a decent draw on it. I felt like it took 1-1.5 tanks of liquid to break the coil in but this could have been because I was running at a lower than recommended wattage. At first the flavor from my DIY blueberry cookie that I had been running in an original Zeus tank and getting good flavor, seemed a little muted but experienced full flavor once the coil was broken in. I experienced no leaking or dry hits from the Cerberus and was using a 70/30 VG/PG mix. The top cap on the Cerberus is easily removed with a slight turn and the fill holes are large enough to fit most bottles.

Final Thoughts:

I was thoroughly impressed with the features and build quality of the Aegis X mod. It is well built and seems very durable like the rest of the Aegis line. I very much like the large display screen and that there are different wallpapers and the screen brightness can be adjusted. I have some mods (I won’t name names) that the screens are difficult to see/read for aging eyes. The button placement is very comfortable to me and can operate the mod with one hand easily. They went back to the same style of battery door on the bottom like the Aegis Legend has on the bottom. However, the battery door on the X seems much easier to open and close than on the Legend that I have. One thing I’m not crazy about is that they put the charge/upgrade port on the top in front of where the tank sits like they did on the Legend. I’m not a fan of that placement. Maybe it’s just me but the X seems more comfortable in the hand than the Legend. One thing that did take a little getting used to was feeling the edge of the screen when it’s being held to fire with the thumb. There’s a little bit of a ledge there but after a while I stopped noticing it.

The Cerberus is the favorite tank that I’ve used that takes drop in coils as long as they are the 30-45 watt coils. I’m just not a really high wattage vaper but was able to run the X1 coils at a lower than recommended wattage and still achieve acceptable results. I do however wish that Geekvape would come out with an rba deck for the Cerberus for those of us that prefer to make our own coils. You’ll notice in the picture above that I am not using the stock tip on the tank that came with it. It just wasn’t comfortable to me so I used a griffin tip.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my review and if you would like to add anything or simply comment then all are welcome. I have added a picture below of the X, Aegis Squonk, Aegis Solo, and Aegis mini so that you can compare the size of the different mods.

LadyAnabel

Sep 20, 2019
    Bristol, Tn
    GREAT REVIEW!!!!!!

I also have this mod kit, it's a "solid" mod, easy on the eyes, feels like it could handle my "dropping habit" Time will tell. I've had many mods, including the legend, & the legend has took a beating & still kicking. I'm hoping the X does the same

One question I have about the mod.

What is the auto for that's on the menu?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread