GeekVape Zeus Leaking?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Hi all,

So I got my rta working again (new coil etc) and today it’s just started leaking. Seems to be coming from the top of the tank below the air intake then flooding the coil (tilted on its side and poured out, never happened before). At first I thought I might have overfilled it but even half full and burning excess at 100w (I was getting sooooo much spatter YUCK!!!) it’s still leaking.

Kid you not I’ve had used it for less than a week, I’m aiming to pull it apart tonight but for the most part I’m ...... - especially if it’s a gasket. If anyone else has had this problem which one was it? Hopefully I can save myself a few hours of searching.

Reactions: stols001

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Hi all,

So I got my rta working again (new coil etc) and today it’s just started leaking. Seems to be coming from the top of the tank below the air intake then flooding the coil (tilted on its side and poured out, never happened before). At first I thought I might have overfilled it but even half full and burning excess at 100w (I was getting sooooo much spatter YUCK!!!) it’s still leaking.

Kid you not I’ve had used it for less than a week, I’m aiming to pull it apart tonight but for the most part I’m ...... - especially if it’s a gasket. If anyone else has had this problem which one was it? Hopefully I can save myself a few hours of searching.

Could you post a picture of the build you have in there?
Sounds like it’s flooded which more than likely means you haven’t put enough wick in. My OBS Engine would do exactly that. If it’s not that it may be a missing or broken o ring. Or perhaps the tank simply isn’t screwed together properly?
It will be easier to tell what’s going on with a couple of pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Sounds like it’s flooded which more than likely means you haven’t put enough wick in. My OBS Engine would do exactly that. If it’s not that it may be a missing or broken o ring. Or perhaps the tank simply isn’t screwed together properly?

Thanks for that I’ll take some photos when I get home. For now I’m just at work. Thing was it wasn’t doing it last night. So I’ll probably have to pull it apart tonight.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU

Just for reference before I go all happy-snappy what sort of pictures should I be focused on? So far I have;

Wick
Connections
Fittings

Anything else?

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
image.jpg
@HenTheKing

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
@HenTheKing - I think I’ve figured it out:

1) the wick on one side (as per pic) was bunched up waaaaay too much and instead of tucking neatly underneath the terminal platform was sticking out - so it’s possible it was preventing a proper seal

2) and this goes out to anyone else who is looking to buy this RTA - the cage that sits in the middle with the “ZEUS” cutout can sometimes unscrew WITH the terminal platform, in the base of that case is an o-ring that sits in the recessed groove to seal the bottom end of the glass tank. For reference it’s not meant to but before rescrewing it back into the top end (where the fill holes are) always check the seals above and below. Take the tank off and check the seal as well. I checked mine and the bottom seal had crimped causing it to sit outside the recessed point. Honestly it’s nothing to fret about - it unscrews just fine and if you tighten the base just a little too much then this can occur. Just make sure you grip in the holes of the cage and NOT the arms (so you don’t bend or break them) and always use a paper towel especially if it’s got juice in it so you can get a proper grip.

Wiping off excess fluid is fine but depending on what fluid you run it might still be slippery even with a little bit.

Now I checked the seals, connections and pieces and nothing other than what I mentioned above seemed out of place. Which doesn’t really answer how or why it leaked from the top end (unless someone who reads this sees something I didn’t). However for all intents and purposes it’s working again, and no spatter coming up through the chimney (thank The Gods....it really is disgusting stuff in liquid form).

Did I overreact? Possibly. For the most part Ive been denied using this atomiser as much as I’d like due to (in chronological order);

1) first coil burning the s$&@ out of the cotton and not wicking properly - got it fixed by my colleague at work.

2) switched out coil and wick (dumb move, I learned that only the cotton needed to be changed) - coil shorted out after a few drags and I waited until I could get some wire cutters to trim the pre-made coils I bought.

3) aforementioned leaking and practically drinking juice.....

So I’ve been forced to use my Vaporesso revenger - which isn’t BAD, but I really noticed a flavour difference in the Zeus, not to mention it’s a sexy piece of kit and solid black, which goes well with my Wismec Predator. So really it’s just been one thing after another and it’s hard to go back.

So Le Rant over - anyone reading please learn from my stupidity.

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Christ that’s a wall of text. [emoji23]

Looks like you haven’t got enough wick to me.

Again, not the same but my Engine when underwicked would just flood and erupt boiling liquid into my mouth! Not pleasant.
Try a bit more wick in the wicking holes (fluffier!) and I doubt it’ll keep spitting at you.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Christ that’s a wall of text. [emoji23]

Looks like you haven’t got enough wick to me.

Again, not the same but my Engine when underwicked would just flood and erupt boiling liquid into my mouth! Not pleasant.
Try a bit more wick in the wicking holes (fluffier!) and I doubt it’ll keep spitting at you.

Yes I felt the need to go into some detail, the reviews didn’t really go into it. Actually I’m surprised - I’ll try it next wick but it’s not spattering at all now. Is yours a dual coil or single coil? For reference when I was watching a lot of the videos they all said it should be less than the chunky side, is it possibly because it’s a single coil?

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Yes I felt the need to go into some detail, the reviews didn’t really go into it. Actually I’m surprised - I’ll try it next wick but it’s not spattering at all now. Is yours a dual coil or single coil? For reference when I was watching a lot of the videos they all said it should be less than the chunky side, is it possibly because it’s a single coil?

Dual coil. Yes I tended to wick RTA’s on the thinner side because otherwise they won’t wick...

That said, what you described suggested to me not enough wick. Although sometimes they can just flood on an initial fill (or any fill) because of the top cap pushing the liquid down into the deck when it goes on.

I’ve moved on from RTA’s now because the wicking just annoyed the hell out of me.

I’m glad you’ve sorted it. It’s so frustrating when you’re at a loss to what’s going wrong. Cliché but it really is just trial and error. I used to take pictures of builds that worked and make mental notes of what I did differently etc etc.

Rebuildables are totally worth it however, buy a nice spool of wire and a big bag of cotton and just start fiddling. All the best mate. [emoji869]

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Dual coil. Yes I tended to wick RTA’s on the thinner side because otherwise they won’t wick...

That said, what you described suggested to me not enough wick. Although sometimes they can just flood on an initial fill (or any fill) because of the top cap pushing the liquid down into the deck when it goes on.

I’ve moved on from RTA’s now because the wicking just annoyed the hell out of me.

I’m glad you’ve sorted it. It’s so frustrating when you’re at a loss to what’s going wrong. Cliché but it really is just trial and error. I used to take pictures of builds that worked and make mental notes of what I did differently etc etc.

Rebuildables are totally worth it however, buy a nice spool of wire and a big bag of cotton and just start fiddling. All the best mate. [emoji869]

Cheers mate, when I was looking at an RTA/RDA I had honestly considered RDA just so I could switch up flavours easily. But at the rate I vape an RTA is almost the same. I will probably get an RDA soon though. I just want to master the art of mixing my own juice, then make my own coils.

I’m still an über n00b.

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Cheers mate, when I was looking at an RTA/RDA I had honestly considered RDA just so I could switch up flavours easily. But at the rate I vape an RTA is almost the same. I will probably get an RDA soon though. I just want to master the art of mixing my own juice, then make my own coils.

I’m still an über n00b.

Maybe consider squonking? If you actually like single coil options there’s a wealth of them!

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Maybe consider squonking? If you actually like single coil options there’s a wealth of them!

Yes I’ve considered it, but I’ve spent enough money on hardware at the moment :lol:

Once I can master making my own coils and juice I’ll definitely check out squonking.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, it just takes time. My skills have travelled very far from my first RTA attempt (which was completed over an ENTIRE afternoon, with my husband's help, a ton of pics on ECF and a lot of ECF "cliff notes." I did achieve a successful build in the end.... It still totally sucked compared to how I build things today.

If you continue to have problems though, I would sincerely suggest starting with an atomizer (like an RBA, if that is your desire) or a different type of RTA some are just easier than others. If I hadn't done that for a while, I think I would still be "stuck" trying to fix my first build. A certain amount of success is necessary to increase confidence, and to get the chance to experiment with different build types and resistances, which can be exceedingly difficult if one is also struggling with leaking, constantly. It just gets... frustrating, overall..

Just my thoughts as always, and good luck. I rebuilt my "first" RTA a bit ago. I didn't love the vape, so it's not in rotation, but it was like, completely entirely a different experience that the first time, since I knew what I was doing.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Anna

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
Yeah, it just takes time. My skills have travelled very far from my first RTA attempt (which was completed over an ENTIRE afternoon, with my husband's help, a ton of pics on ECF and a lot of ECF "cliff notes." I did achieve a successful build in the end.... It still totally sucked compared to how I build things today.

If you continue to have problems though, I would sincerely suggest starting with an atomizer (like an RBA, if that is your desire) or a different type of RTA some are just easier than others. If I hadn't done that for a while, I think I would still be "stuck" trying to fix my first build. A certain amount of success is necessary to increase confidence, and to get the chance to experiment with different build types and resistances, which can be exceedingly difficult if one is also struggling with leaking, constantly. It just gets... frustrating, overall..

Just my thoughts as always, and good luck. I rebuilt my "first" RTA a bit ago. I didn't love the vape, so it's not in rotation, but it was like, completely entirely a different experience that the first time, since I knew what I was doing.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Anna

My first RTA was the original griffin. Baptism of fire!

HenTheKing

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Essex, UK
I’m laughing my .... off right now, I just tried to vape AAAAAAAANNNNNNND.......”Atomizer Short”

FUG!!!!!!!!

I’m laughing at the fact you can’t seem to figure out a single coil RTA. [emoji23]

Shorts mean the coil is touching a piece of metal. The coil should not touch anything. That’s you’re problem mate.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I’m laughing at the fact you can’t seem to figure out a single coil RTA. [emoji23]

Shorts mean the coil is touching a piece of metal. The coil should not touch anything. That’s you’re problem mate.

Hey laugh away - it’s a stupid situation and I seem to be messing up like no tomorrow.

I straightened the coil up but one of the legs had moved and weren’t making full contact with the screws.

• Useful

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU

I’m going to chalk it up to “n00b stupid questions/statements” I allowed myself 3.....2 left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread