General preferences question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
I've only been vaping a month, and was lucky enough to start with an eGo and in short order I got a pair of RiVas. For convenience sake, I got a passthrough which turned out to be 5V and I got a couple of LR atties just to try. I used my LR atties and 5V for a three day period and they got me off cigarettes, but then I had to set them aside because even after 35 years of 2 pack/day smoking, they were a bit too much. Every couple of days I may try a flavor on the passthrough that is supposed to be great but seems lacking to me, but that's about it.

So I've noticed that even on the New Members' board, there's a good number who are advising people to just skip the eGo and all the 'standard' kits and go right to mods. To my simple mind, a mod would have been impossible for me to comprehend, and even now with the knowledge I've achieved in my whole month, there are still a lot of aspects to a mod which are not quite as simple as screwing on a 510 carto and going.

So in my long-winded way of getting to a question, is this essentially a board made of mod-users? Is there anybody who has used a 'stock' cigarette for a length of time and is content? I'm not talking about the people that keep an emergency 510 in the cabinet; I mean that you regularly use your branded mass produced e-cig. Or should I resign myself to either being a freak for liking my eGo/Riva or sit waiting for the other shoe to drop when satisfaction will require spending $200 for a mod?

tarheeldan

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
Dover, NH
Nah, not a freak. Or maybe we're both freaks ;) I use a 900mAh eGo exclusively. Stoked for an LR atty and steel drip tip coming, but use mostly Boge soft tip 510 cartos. I haven't gone to a mod because...I like the way the unit looks more than the mods I've seen. It doesn't look out of place when I'm wearing a suit. It just looks like a shiny, gold cigar. That doesn't stink up the room :)

The newcomer/onlooker part..that's big too. It's much easier to turn people on to PV's if you bust out an auto 510 or super mini. The eGo's more of a stretch, but not so far to turn most off in my limited experience.

forthwith

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I tend to vape stock ecigs. I started with a blu, quit smoking for a bit, dove into mods (510 to a hello 016 to a diy box mod) and eventually got so far past my needs for oral fixation meets easy nic fix, I relapsed on the analogs. Now, I keep it simple, kr808 standard auto batteries (I love my 510, but the autos are no good) and regular 808 cartomizers. For my needs this does the trick. However, the forum is great for finding new and exciting Eliquid, and the occasional inspirational word or two.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
So in my long-winded way of getting to a question, is this essentially a board made of mod-users? Is there anybody who has used a 'stock' cigarette for a length of time and is content? I'm not talking about the people that keep an emergency 510 in the cabinet; I mean that you regularly use your branded mass produced e-cig. Or should I resign myself to either being a freak for liking my eGo/Riva or sit waiting for the other shoe to drop when satisfaction will require spending $200 for a mod?

Hi SS,

Well I think there is a good bit of religiosity and fanboism about PV solutions. Goes with the territory apparently.

For most people starting out, a 510 kit with mega batteries would be fine. I would be fine with that as a former 3 pad smoker. I currently use an eGo. The decision was academic.

None of my decisions are made on a fanboi basis. However I have a little bit of brand loyalty going.

I think mods have their place. Tried a few. Don't use them. 5v mods seem harsh to me. LR atomizers seem the same.

You might also think that everyone on the planet uses a drip tip. Apparently that is the mark of a true vaper. Those comments are rife in the new member forum as well.

We, as members of ECF, could be considered "enthusiasts". I have no problem with that tag- I'm enthusiastic about not using tobacco. But other than that none of this stuff really matters.

I mean after all- you never see anyone grabbing a friend and earnestly insisting: "Dude... you MUST smoke Newport. It's the only way to smoke!!!!"

Personally- my only concern for you as a fellow vaper is: Are you off tobacco?

If you pass that test... I'm good.

As an aside I own and use an Elumacig "website branded DSE902" which I think people snicker at. But I *like* it. And it's nice when driving to have prefilled foil sealed cartridges and an auto battery.

But that might make me an amateur as well.

You are fine :) Mod users may be extreme enthusiasts. There's nothing wrong with that- but they tend to be louder :)

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
+1 to cozzicon.

I think there are a lot of people who find what works for them, or get into the "SUPER DUPER UBER PERFORMANCE!!!" thing, and just start believing that this must be the solution for EVERYONE.

So you get people who recommend the same model no matter what the person's needs are, because if it works for them, it must work for everyone, right?

No.

I've been with my stock Kr8 batts for almost 2 months, and feel no desire for an "upgrade." I've tried an LR, which is basically a simulation of a 5v PV. I don't like it that much. It gets tucked away, and brought out on rare occasions when I just need to be hit in the face with vapor, but that's it. 3.7v with a regular ole' carto is perfect for me most of the time.

I don't like dripping much (except on the rare occasion I take out my LR), and I prefer cartos over atties.

The battery life on the Kr8 is fine for me. I have a PCC.

I just don't see any reason to "upgrade."

However, I know that there are people who don't like the Kr8, or cartos, and there are people who need more "omph" than a stock battery can provide.

When I read a newbie post from someone looking to get into e-cigs, I try to pay attention to what they're actually saying, and recommend something based on that. I look at, or ask the OP to tell me:

- What they feel is most appealing to them about smoking (seeing lots of smoke, throat hit, flavor character, etc)

- What their practical needs are (battery life, size preferences, etc)

- And if they've tried another PV that didn't work for them, what was it they didn't like?

I've pointed people at Kr8's, 510's, eGo/Rivas, mods, and even super-mini's. Everyone's needs are different.

And as stated above, the important thing is "are you off cigarettes?"

If the answer is yes, great. Who cares what equipment you're using, if it's working for you?

Last edited:

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Hi SS,

Well I think there is a good bit of religiosity and fanboism about PV solutions. Goes with the territory apparently.

For most people starting out, a 510 kit with mega batteries would be fine. I would be fine with that as a former 3 pad smoker. I currently use an eGo. The decision was academic.

None of my decisions are made on a fanboi basis. However I have a little bit of brand loyalty going.

I think mods have their place. Tried a few. Don't use them. 5v mods seem harsh to me. LR atomizers seem the same.

You might also think that everyone on the planet uses a drip tip. Apparently that is the mark of a true vaper. Those comments are rife in the new member forum as well.

We, as members of ECF, could be considered "enthusiasts". I have no problem with that tag- I'm enthusiastic about not using tobacco. But other than that none of this stuff really matters.

I mean after all- you never see anyone grabbing a friend and earnestly insisting: "Dude... you MUST smoke Newport. It's the only way to smoke!!!!"

Personally- my only concern for you as a fellow vaper is: Are you off tobacco?

If you pass that test... I'm good.

As an aside I own and use an Elumacig "website branded DSE902" which I think people snicker at. But I *like* it. And it's nice when driving to have prefilled foil sealed cartridges and an auto battery.

But that might make me an amateur as well.

You are fine :) Mod users may be extreme enthusiasts. There's nothing wrong with that- but they tend to be louder :)

Couldn't have said it any better! And thank the Lord we all have different taste, life would be pretty boring otherwise ;)

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Is there anybody who has used a 'stock' cigarette for a length of time and is content? I'm not talking about the people that keep an emergency 510 in the cabinet; I mean that you regularly use your branded mass produced e-cig.

I started with an Njoy, got a 901 and then an 801. That was over a year ago.

I'm still using them. :blush:

Dakota

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Kalifornia
I started with an M402 and I haven't felt the need to mod anything (although i DO drip instead of using carts). I have been thinking about getting an eGo for the longer battery life, but a lot of people like the flavor better on a M40x. I'm also quite broke, so modding and upgrading would be impossible as i can barely feed my e-juice needs at the moment.

kj4lxw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pinellas, FL
To each their own. Just like buying a car, is there any one model that is the best?

People seem to get caught up in the "whats the best oe to get'' mind set. I see this all the time on internet forums.
You get what works for you, that simple, but folks like bragging rights and being the human creatures we are, people like to tout what they have found as their holy grail and point others in that same direction.

Nothing wrong with the choice you have made.I started with 510 and still use it, it has it's advantages. I moved up to a Tornado (see, here we go with the name that model and brag of our posessions game),
but main reason was for longer battery life, i.e. convenience for me.

Main reason I started dripping was that I got tired of playing with carts. Convenient for me.

I was perfectly content using a gutted cart when dripping but got lazy and bought a drip tip (bragging again?) because it was convenient.

I see a pattern. And people like to talk about themselves all the time, talking about their decisions and their choices falls into that category. Maybe its just our way of trying to justify and validate of choices.

I have an old axiom that I follow, go with what you know.

The Fool

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
St. Louis
I started with a 901 kit and because it worked, stuck with it for 8 months (not the same kit, I think I bought a total of 4 kits in that time period). I just bought a Riva at Vapefest this past weekend. My only reason for switching was for the longer battery life.

I know what you mean though, when I come to this forum armed with nothing but my little 901 I have felt very outgunned :)

piratecaptainbob

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
north carolina
i think its the hobby aspect of vaping that leads to mods. my girlfriend is still using her ego with the 808 cartos and she says it suits her just fine. i decided to go with mods because i saw a purpose for them in my daily vaping routine (and hobby) but no one should feel belittled if they still use their stock e-cig exclusively. i plan on buying 3 510 kits for family members for christmas and lead them to this forum. after that they can decide what works for them but i definitely wont tell them they need a mod to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread