Gerry Stimson Lecture on Vaping at London's Guildhall April 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Following on from my post last week on the NEJM article , I thought this might interest ECFers - it's a lecture given last week by Professor Gerry Stimson on Harm Reduction, E-Cigarettes and the historical achievements in harm reduction in the UK.

It's a great lecture, and a really important historical perspective which should give Public Health great pause in their railing against vaping.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Excellent. We've always called this tobacco harm reduction. If only this is can be done globally it would be a miracle.

I think about where we were just 3 or 4 short years ago. It was hard to even see something of this caliber being viewed. I do believe that eventually it will come to pass, being recognized as a viable alternative and embraced by more and more 'Health' organizations. Unfortunately, will it come too late? How many people are being turned off of possibly using a harm reduction tool because of the lies and misinformation that is being spread maliciously? Those are the people I am concerned with.

How many of the Anti's were in the audience? Were any there and did they start to think in a different way? Did this message get to those that need to hear it?

I really hope so.

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
Robin - The Guildhall is a very auspicious venue in the City of London and has played host to many initiatives over the years that deal with drugs and alcohol substance abuse. I can't tell you who was in the crowd (although it was full), but I can say that it seemed to be people from all walks of life, and I'd imagine a few movers and shakers who were unaware of the issues Gerry described prior to attending. Antis? Yeah, probably a handful!

Gerry was introduced by Professor David Nutt, who you can see leaving the stage just before Gerry starts talking. David is no stranger to controversy himself, having been sacked from his post as UK government's "Drug Czar" for stating publicly that a certain substance is less dangerous than horse-riding! (a comparison that is objectively true).

Oh, David also has the best job title in the world: Professor of Neuropsychopharmacology.

Tivaliman

Apr 9, 2016
Following on from my post last week on the NEJM article , I thought this might interest ECFers - it's a lecture given last week by Professor Gerry Stimson on Harm Reduction, E-Cigarettes and the historical achievements in harm reduction in the UK.

It's a great lecture, and a really important historical perspective which should give Public Health great pause in their railing against vaping.

Definitely worth watching. "The best thing you can do is go to your Gp" lmao!
I feel confident knowing that there's some really smart and active people, who support the vaping community, doing what they do best. Very academic and simple in speech. They make the best teachers, people learn more because they have simplicity in they're presentations.
Kudos...
And a big shout out to the Ecf. Hip hip... Hooray!

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

Excellent lecture, thank you for posting! I can only hope more people see and spread this now! (Going to YT to "like" and share! :) )

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada

Thanks for sharing! Shared with Vapor Advocates of Ontario!

Love when he displays the costs, 0,0,0,0,0 Saving money for taxpayers ;D

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Bump :D

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
The gentleman poses the question which he has no answer for namely, why did Public Health get behind harm reduction for drug abuse but does not get behind harm reduction for tobacco. That is the 100 billion dollar question.

Furthermore, not only does PH not get behind harm reduction for tobacco, they vehemently oppose it.

The first 19 minutes of the talk references the HIV epidemic and how PH backed harm reduction in the context of interveneous drug users.

I suppose one could conclude that PH was more concerned with people dying of Aids then from dying of tobacco related illnesses.

We all know the answer to the gentleman's question. He knows the answer as well.

I wonder why he did not come out and render the answer to his question?

Joe?

Oliver

Admin
Verified Member
The gentleman poses the question which he has no answer for namely, why did Public Health get behind harm reduction for drug abuse but does not get behind harm reduction for tobacco. That is the 100 billion dollar question.

Furthermore, not only does PH not get behind harm reduction for tobacco, they vehemently oppose it.

The first 19 minutes of the talk references the HIV epidemic and how PH backed harm reduction in the context of interveneous drug users.

I suppose one could conclude that PH was more concerned with people dying of Aids then from dying of tobacco related illnesses.

We all know the answer to the gentleman's question. He knows the answer as well.

I wonder why he did not come out and render the answer to his question?

Joe?

I don't think it has a straightforward answer. A valid answer would have to make mention of some combination of moral psychology, paradigms and thought leaders, money, the long (500 year) history of anti-tobacco crusades, and a whole host of things that add up to where we are at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread