Getting into DIY juice... questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmitchelliv

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So after ponying up for a few different PV kits and a bunch of juice (some good, some not as good), I'm kind of chomping at the bit to get into the DIY juice world.

Having learned that I should have consulted this forum prior to my first PV purchase (an expensive mistake), I'm now going to ask for some expertise from you *before* I begin *this*venture. ;)

With the juice calculators that are out there nowadays, it seems simple enough. I think the hardest part is going to be figuring out just what flavors work and what flavors don't. Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.xtremevaping.com/index.p...&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Now, obviously this is going to get cut. My questions are as follows:

• Is it better to get a PG or a VG base?
  • Depending on that answer, what's a good ratio of PG to VG in your mixes?
  • What are some good places to purchase flavorings?
  • Any recipies you care to share?
  • ... or any other wisdom that might be handy before turning my home recording studio into a chem lab? ;)

I have tried to mix my own and am getting back into it currently. I can tell you that Flavourart and Capella seem to be the best as far as flavoring... LorAnn's is oil based while the other two are (for the most part) water based. I am a little creeped out with using colored flavorings too (can't be good for your body) so I try to stick with clear flavorings. Sucralose is a great sweetner to add too, if you like your juices sweetened.

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
Is it better to get a PG or a VG base?

Whatever you like to be the majority of your vape. If you like 75% VG, get a VG base.

I personally have found out the HARD way that the best combination for me is an all-PG unflavored nic juice. The xtreme vaping is high on my list though I'd be happy if I could stock up on it more cheaply.

I tried a 50/50 PG/VG mix in my 48mg unflavored from OneStopDIYShop but ran into a problem. Namely, I have 36mg and it's not possible to hit my favorite ratios with that strength combo withou bigger batches. Not good.

So I say make it simple. Go with a PG base if you will use a majority PG juice.

Depending on that answer, what's a good ratio of PG to VG in your mixes?

I prefer anything from 50/50 to 80/20 with PG being the predominant. It's a matter of preference though and doesn't really matter until high-VG content requires thinning.

What are some good places to purchase flavorings?

I recommend OneStopDIYShop. That said, you can pick up some flavorings locally at CVS and Walmart and bakery suppliers if you go with Loranns. You can also buy direct in many cases. I prefer not to so I don't get stuck with a lot of expensive flavorings I dislike. I pay a slight premium per ml to get smaller samples. :)

Any recipies you care to share?

Not really, other than "You'd be surprised how satisfying simply flavors" can be. I had a concept in my head that mixed 5 flavors and I wanted to get them right. In the reality of it, I couldn't really taste all of the complexities like I'd imagined. The flavor could be replicated with 2 flavors and was still really good. :p

or any other wisdom that might be handy before turning my home recording studio into a chem lab?

I spent $2 on a syringe to measure out ingredients and it broke within 30 seconds of me using it. Apparently I pushed it too hard and it fused (vacuum suction?) and snapped when I tried to pull the plunger back.

On the flip side, Walmart, Walgreens and CVS will give you a handful of free liquid measurey things (I keep forgetting what they're called but they're basically syringes without the needle. They're used for accurately measuring liquid medications and to add flavorings to childrens meds) if you ask for them. They measure down to .1 ml and are the handiest thing to have. Free and plentiful vs expensive (relatively) and breakable. There's my wisdom in terms of equipment.

Keep a log of what you make so you can make it again. Be as detailed as you can so when you read it in two years, you don't need to remember why the hell you thought that might be a good idea.

Finally, let them steep at least until the color changes. Disregard everything you think about your newly made juice until this happens.

LorAnn's is oil based

Some are but not all of them are. Not even all of the ones called "oils" are oil-based.

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
I started to DIY a few months ago and have found One Stop DIY Shop to be the best place to pick up everything I need. Also they are very knowledgeable in all areas of DIY and will help you out in your purchases. As far as your pg/vg ratios, you can get an idea from what you have been ordering in your pre-made juices and what ratios you like. I have found several recipes in Tips and Tricks forum DIY recipes and I like breaktru's Juice me up calculator.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
I have tried to mix my own and am getting back into it currently. I can tell you that Flavourart and Capella seem to be the best as far as flavoring... LorAnn's is oil based while the other two are (for the most part) water based. I am a little creeped out with using colored flavorings too (can't be good for your body) so I try to stick with clear flavorings. Sucralose is a great sweetner to add too, if you like your juices sweetened.

I tried FlavourArt and didn't really like it, I like LorAnn's much better, it is NOT all oil based, most are good to vape, here's the list : http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rs-color-coded-complete-ingredients-list.html

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
After visiting a lot of flavor sites, I've found that ecigexpress.com has the lowest prices and has the most brands of flavoring, with more flavor choices, than any of the other suppliers, including onestopdiyshop.com.

They have the following brands (they don't have Perfumers Apprentice):

Capella
Signature
Flavourart
Lorann 1oz
Lorann Gourmet

Tobacco flavor brands:

Tobacco Absolute
DK Tobacco
Flavourart Tobaccos
Fire-Cured Virginia Tobacco

Flavoring | ecigExpress

I bought 180mL of Flavourart flavors from ecigexpress yesterday (with a discount of 20% using coupon code HOLIDAYFLAVOR that's good through 12/31) for $41.55 with free shipping, because I also bought a Super T drip tip that put the order over $50.

I was surprised at how much less ecigexpress.com charges for Flavourart flavors, compared to onestopdiyshop.com. The bottles contain five times more flavoring for two or three dollars more, and they have many more choices of flavors available.

Dark.Angel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
IMO READ READ READ

I read the blog here, and allot of the companies out there have forums. The one thing I learned that I haven't read up on in any of the forums and due to the "rules" and "restrictions" I can't open one, I think you know if someone wasn't spamming from just one post :) Anyway I went to buy VG and learned that Glycerine and Vegetable glycerin ARE different, if it doesn't say 100% vegetable, its made from products other than vegetables. I also learned that when your sure you got your 100%VG, you might want to make sure it an all-natural product derived from Non-GMO palm oil or vegetable oil. Non-GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organisms, dude, I do not want to have anything to do with Genetically Modified Organisms in anything I'im putting in my body, try reading up on it, its a real eye opener, I could write volumes on that kinda stuff, cigarettes were just one of the govt.....gets off soap box.

I want to try and stay away from any of the chemicals, the PG base use is as an Anti-freeze for tractors or to humidifiers, scared me, in all honesty, so I decided to make my own as you did, as you can tell I'm going over to the more natural side. I learned you can use Distilled Water to dilute and I think if you made the flavor a bit stronger is would compensate. I really learned allot from reading the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread