Getting lots of vapor, but NASTY taste with favorite juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mell4now

Apr 24, 2011
Western MA.
Hello all who clicked here. I know that I kind of overused the ECF forum tonite with this being my 3rd thread, but I am having an issue with one of my new ego T atty's. Im going to try to stick to the basics

1) Blew out primer
2) filled with familiar juice
3) big smoke plume, horrible taste
4) drew out more smoke, still big plumes but nasty flavor
5) rinsed with water/dried
6) primed with familiar juice
7) first pull good, second pull ok, 3rd pull gross all with massive vapor plumes
8) soaked in alcohol/ rinsed with water/dried/ primed with familiar juice
9) same results as 7

Atty#2 was ok after just blowing out the primer. awesome plumes with very little "off" taste. It probably will be fine after refilling one or two more times.

The best way to describe this nasty flavor from atty #1 is that it is not at all sweet, it tastes almost as if you light an analog cigarette backwards or smoked a cig down to the filter. It also has a burning harsh sort of property/aftertaste on the tip of my tongue and back of my throat. Another thing to note is the juice is disappearing out of my tank (but it's NOT leaking all over my hands or getting in my mouth)

Not sure what gives. Is it normal for a new atty to taste that bad after rinsing twice and getting so much good juice? I suppose i will try soaking it tonight instead of just rinsing.

Thanks for viewing

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Questions are good, don't worry about asking them. It's the ones that don't ask questions that we worry about. ;) :laugh:

It really does sound like that particular atty isn't getting enough juice and is burning. With your tank wicking though, I just don't know since I don't use them. Bumping this to the top for someone with tank experience. :)

Gizmo362

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
North Coast
Actually, I found that some attys have a wick under the bridge that extends down to the wicking material under neath the coil. I had three out of 10 that did that. I can only assume that the wick under the bridge got loose and layed on the coil and was burning with a bad taste no matter how much I cleaned the atty. I removed the wick and the burnt taste went away. Take a look to see if there is anything on or near the coil that shouldn't be there.

Mell4now

Apr 24, 2011
Western MA.
Thanks for the input so far and for the bump. I Never dismantled an atty before but am getting close to raiding the drawers at my work to borrow some retired dental tools for that purpose. I just took "stinky" out of a pot of boiling water (as opposed to running under the tap for a few seconds) and got some nasty scented liquid out. dried it for a 3rd time and am trying again. So far there is notable improvement after a few hits, the overall burnt flavor is still there but very muted, and the flavor of the e-juice is starting to vape thru. @ hawkfire, i did notice at first when I put the tanks on, the needle did not pierce the membranes right away and i had to manually pierce them with a paperclip.

JumpSteady

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pigeon Forge, TN
I'm having the exact same problem. The ego-t atomizers I just got are not genuine Joye ego-t. They look identical to the Joye ones but they don't say ego-t on them. I knew they weren't genuine Joye when I ordered them, but was hoping they would be good. I am disappointed and have gone back to using a Joye ego-t atomizer and a boge cartomizer. I may try to get them working later, but for now I'm tired of messing with them. I did burn one because the tank did not get pierced but I boiled it in water and it still tastes burnt, my other new one should work but also has that burnt taste. The new one my girlfriend is using she says works fine. At least one seems usable out of 3.

hawkfire1

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
Hawaii
Ughhhhhhhh

You burnt either the cup or or you burnt the primer to the wick and probably wont ever get that taste out short of disassembling it and actually replacing the wick.

Boiling it won't get rid of the taste, but vaping a tank of straight 100% PG might clean it for you.

My experience is that when new, the Ego T atomizer should always be primed with 8-10 drops of liquid before snapping the tank in place to prevent dry burning. Ego T atomizer + Dry burn= bad tasting or dead atty.

The key to keeping the ejuice tasting ok is to keep that wick wet.

hawkfire1

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
Hawaii
I am happy that you have no issues with your setup.

But, just how does having Ego-T imprinted on the atty affect the performance of the tank atomizer? To me, that's like saying that if I put a sticker that says made by God that the atomizer and tank will work perfectly without issues? After all made by God is imprinted on the atomizer.

I fail to see how your post relates or helps the OPs issue.

You know, your post sorta just rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps like condescending in meaning and not helpful at all.

When you have mass produced items, you are bound to have duds and manufacturing issues and one must take that into account when buying and using factory produced items of any sort.

To imply that Just because Ego-T is imprinted on an atty makes it either perfect or better somehow is just wrong

That, of course is just my opinion.

Anyhow, it seems the OP messed up the needle plate somehow and the atty no longer wicks at all.

If the atomizer still fires, he can still use it as a drip atty and not waste it.

Mell4now

Apr 24, 2011
Western MA.
unfortunatley atty is toast!!! no reviving that one at all!!! the wire i pulled out was an inch long. (came from underneith the drip plate which i pried out using a dental tool) I still have one perfectly fine atty though and will be tinkering with the tank system a bit more before calling it quits. ( Now, the tank discharges all its juice into the atty and my cig leaks like crazy. must transport it in a ziplock bag cause it leaks so bad!!)

JumpSteady

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pigeon Forge, TN
use a new plastic tank

Yeah. The hole gets stretched out I think. If I have one that leaks I use a new tank. I have some tanks with hard caps and some with soft caps. I have noticed the hard cap ones leak after a while and that the soft cap ones pull out too easily and the tank can come completely out if it's in a pocket or my girlfriends purse. A brand new hard cap works best for me.

JumpSteady

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pigeon Forge, TN
I am happy that you have no issues with your setup.

But, just how does having Ego-T imprinted on the atty affect the performance of the tank atomizer? To me, that's like saying that if I put a sticker that says made by God that the atomizer and tank will work perfectly without issues? After all made by God is imprinted on the atomizer.

I fail to see how your post relates or helps the OPs issue.

You know, your post sorta just rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps like condescending in meaning and not helpful at all.

When you have mass produced items, you are bound to have duds and manufacturing issues and one must take that into account when buying and using factory produced items of any sort.

To imply that Just because Ego-T is imprinted on an atty makes it either perfect or better somehow is just wrong

That, of course is just my opinion.

Anyhow, it seems the OP messed up the needle plate somehow and the atty no longer wicks at all.

If the atomizer still fires, he can still use it as a drip atty and not waste it.

I think he is implying that genuine Joye ego-t atomizers that actually say ego-t on them are better than cheap knockoffs. The genuine Joye ego-t atomizers that I had out of 4 all worked, and worked well. The cheap copies I bought that were 1/2 the cost only 1 out of 3 is usable. The other 2 taste burnt. Admittedly one was my fault.

Last edited:

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
Get a LR Joye 510 or Joye LR 306 atty. Get a drip tip. Always keep the atty wet. Never clean the attys. After a few weeks or months the atty will die or slowly stop working as good. Throw it away and put a new one on. If you do this you will be good. Good luck. Ego Ts run the risk of running a dry atty. A dry atty can cause your atty to obtain a terrible flavor. At that point you think you need to clean them. Cleaning them usually ruins them. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread