Getting Sick of Ego Batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Make sure you get the 30 or 50 istick, not the 20. If $45 is a bit of an investment for you, make sure where you buy it that they give a long warranty.

It's a good PV. My 20 is coming up on 6mths trouble free.

If you're just starting out, it's a good way to go. A mech purchase will require a fair amount of knowledge about using it and batteries and chargers. An Istick type device will allow you to get comfortable with your toppers and eliquids, which can be quite time consuming themselves.

Last edited:

tehmidcap

Verified Member
    Mar 13, 2015
    PA
    Also: What about the box mods with replaceable batteries? Maybe that's a perfect compromise for what I'm considering... Something sturdier in construction that I can keep in my pocket AND something I can eventually replace the batteries in all together when/if full battery failure occurs (I know there's still some electronics and soldering but with a spring loaded pin and replaceable batteries I think that covers most of the usual problems as long as the button doesn't become permanently jammed). something like the Kanger Kbox (I know there's nicer ones like the "god box" but those are definitely out of the price range I have in mind). Anyone have any firsthand experiences with these?

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Hello, all. Looking for a little bit of advice before I go out and dump a bunch of money on something that I may not love.

I've been vaping for close to two years -- I started doing it to get myself to stop smoking cigarettes, and I haven't smoked a cigarette in just over a year now. But now I'm looking for a better vaping experience just for the sheer pleasure of vaping.

I'm currently using VV Ego batteries with a T-Dux (smok) bottom coil tank/clearomizer. I'm very sick of my batteries constantly breaking (I just bought a Vision Spinner 2 I think about 2 months ago that already stopped working) and I find myself not always being satisfied and wanting to chain hit my vape -- Also it seems like I rarely get the kind of hit I want, especially if the battery isn't full; I want to keep turning the voltage up beyond the point where it starts tasting burnt. I alternate between using a 1.8ohm dual coil and a 2.4 single coil (the latter mostly just for better battery life).

I mix my own juice so the issue with the kind of hit and throat hit I'm getting has been experimented with. So now I'm looking to upgrade my hardware... My biggest obstacle is I'm on a budget.

I was thinking about getting a fully mechanical mod, because it seems GREAT that there aren't any wires and electronic bits that can fail randomly a few weeks after I buy the damn thing.

I was also looking at the Aspire CF Sub-ohm and the Atlantis tank, and I almost bought one. I'm just a little hesitant to spend $80 if I decide that I don't want to sub ohm. I was thinking about maybe just getting a mechanical mod first and trying out my current tanks (or would they just hit exactly the same as my VV's set to 3.7?) then maybe buying a sub-ohm tank from there if I decide I want more power? I don't know if I want to venture into trying to build my own coils yet, though I'm not completely opposed to the idea if it's going to provide a substantial improvement in my vaping experience.

I need something that is durable enough to carry around in my pocket all day long and withstand occasionally being dropped. Something that I can vape at work and at home.

Any input/thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!

1: With 2 years of experience, having a mech as backup is a good idea.
    2: Still using ego type batteries? It's about time you got a proper apv with a screen that shows you ohms and volts.
    3: You mix your own juice: your wallet likes that.
    4: You're thinking about getting a mech: as mentioned above in (1) after 2 years, I think it's about time;;; come to think of it, it's almost 2 years since I started.
    I'd recommend the astro telescopic; it's m21x1 threaded; same thread as chiyou, king, vamo, and zmax;
    5: It's worthwhile trying to operate your VV's at 3.7 so that if you ever need to switch to backup mech, your toppers are already set to operate at 3.7 volts.
    6: Wrapping your own coils will make your wallet happier;

I do recommend a regulated mod especially for out and about; most mechs are bottom fired and various things can go wrong; I noticed today one of my mods was standing upright unlocked, but fortunately it was the one with the kick in it, so the kick would have cutoff after 10 seconds.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
    Mar 13, 2015
    PA
    myfreedomsmokes.com/kanger-kbox-mod-subtank-subohm-bundle-kit.html

Does that little generic charger included with that kit scream "I'm gonna blow up" ? Don't know anything about that site or it's reputation -- But $72 for a Kbox, Efest battery, charger, and a Subtank nano + 15% off first order... Seems like about the cheapest full kit I'm going to find.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Has anyone had any problems with the ISticks at all? Like if I'm dropping $45 can I expect the thing to last for at least a full year and still hold a full charge and function correctly?

And -- If I decide to go the mech mod route -- Any suggestions? I was looking at the Kamry K100 and the Smok Magneto...

Or should I maybe stay away from the mechanicals for now? One thing is that I'm going to be carrying my everyday vaper around in my pocket and I've seen a few disclaimers that you shouldn't just leave mods in your pocket cuz they can be firing without you noticing. Maybe I should just get an IStick now for everyday use and buy a cheap mod in the future to mess around with at home?

Something like the e-lvt2

1905600-4.jpg

1905600-6.jpg

on-board charging; 7-30 watts
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007702/1905600-e-lvt-2-0-7-30w-variable-wattage-apv-mod

Libbydude

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 14, 2012
    Idaho
    myfreedomsmokes.com/kanger-kbox-mod-subtank-subohm-bundle-kit.html

Does that little generic charger included with that kit scream "I'm gonna blow up" ? Don't know anything about that site or it's reputation -- But $72 for a Kbox, Efest battery, charger, and a Subtank nano + 15% off first order... Seems like about the cheapest full kit I'm going to find.

That's the company I would buy it from. Mfs have fan freaking tastic customer service.

Sorry for the disruption. I'm a big fan.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Southern California
    "I find myself not always being satisfied and wanting to chain hit my vape "

Have you tried upping your nicotine level by a few digits to get that saited feeling? If harm reduction involves reducing the amount of things we inhale, chain vaping seems counter-productive, doesn't it?

Have you looked at the innokin MVP2.0 or 3.0? it appears to be a bit more manly rugged than the istick3?

SirIsaac

Apr 23, 2014
    Bucks County
    Also: What about the box mods with replaceable batteries? Maybe that's a perfect compromise for what I'm considering... Something sturdier in construction that I can keep in my pocket AND something I can eventually replace the batteries in all together when/if full battery failure occurs (I know there's still some electronics and soldering but with a spring loaded pin and replaceable batteries I think that covers most of the usual problems as long as the button doesn't become permanently jammed). something like the Kanger Kbox (I know there's nicer ones like the "god box" but those are definitely out of the price range I have in mind). Anyone have any firsthand experiences with these?

I'm not sure where you are located in PA, but I have a shop in Bucks County, tehmidcap. I would definitely recommend the iStick 30 Watt or iStick 50 Watt. We haven't had one customer complain about either, and it saves you the investment of external batteries and a Nitecore charger. Regulated box mods are taking over the market, and for good reason:)

ElevenEleven

ECF Veteran
    Jan 5, 2015
    The route I have chosen and recommending to you is not a cheap one. You'll need the following:

Decent batteries. I recommend Sony VTC4's and Samsung 25R's. These can be found at Illumn.com. AW batteries are a step up from Efest and can be found at rtdvapor.com

A good charger. I use a Nitecore Intellicharger D2. This charger has a small screen that gives you battery read outs. The i2 is cheaper and just as efficient; it uses 3 leds to indicate battery charge instead of a screen. Mine was purchased from Illumn.com

An ohm meter. Mine is an eleaf ohm meter and can measure coil resistance and battery voltage. Its not the most accurate since it only measures in one hundreths (.xx). Mine costs around 10-15 bucks. usaohmmeters.com seem to make the best and most accurate meter. It measures to one thousandths (.xxx) but is twice-thrice the price.

So, Samsung 25R's go for around $6 a pop, a charger for about $15, and an ohm meter of your choosing.

ElevenEleven

ECF Veteran
    Jan 5, 2015
    I wanted to break this up so that my post didn't become an even bigger wall of text.

Talking mods, you have options. Mechanical or regulated.

With mechs there are no wires and no safety protections. This is a plus and a minus. YOU are the safety protection. Mechs can be beat up and thrown around and, 9 times out of 10, will still function as before. Its also simple (when you understand ohms law and battery specs). Its just a tube/box, battery/batteries, and a button.

With regulated devices you will see a list of safeguards. Most have a screen to show your wattage/voltage, battery life, and resistance of your atomizer. Regulated devices allow you to customize your vape.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
    Mar 13, 2015
    PA
    I should also mention that my gf vapes too... Part of the reason I have to stick to lower budget. We're both looking for the same things though she does tend to drop hers a bit more often and breaks tanks more often... Speaking of which can anyone speak to the durability of the subtank? If i get one and she likes it I would like to know if she can throw and bang it around a little or if I should continue to buy her $4 disposable smok bottom coils.

Anyway here's my plan:

I'm DEFINITELY getting a subtank (don't know which size yet) -- at least for me.

I think I'm going to buy both her and I box mods, then buy one full mech (ordinary telescope or tube one) to have as a back up and mess around with at home.

Now it's just a question of which and if to get two different ones to experiment with or get us both the same one.

I'm thinking either Kbox, IStick 30/50, or Segelie Mini. Probably leaning toward IStick at the moment though they seem to be sold out just about everywhere. Is there a solid store with them in stock for less than $50? Or a pre order option that won't charge until it's shipped?

My only local smoke shop only has istick 20s and their kbox is $50 without battery in it.

I haven't seen much mention of the segelie here? I like the fact that you can choose to bypass the chip and run as a mech, and I like that it uses replaceable batteries yet you can still charge via usb.

ElevenEleven

ECF Veteran
    Jan 5, 2015
    I should also mention that my gf vapes too... Part of the reason I have to stick to lower budget. We're both looking for the same things though she does tend to drop hers a bit more often and breaks tanks more often... Speaking of which can anyone speak to the durability of the subtank? If i get one and she likes it I would like to know if she can throw and bang it around a little or if I should continue to buy her $4 disposable smok bottom coils.

Anyway here's my plan:

I'm DEFINITELY getting a subtank (don't know which size yet) -- at least for me.

I think I'm going to buy both her and I box mods, then buy one full mech (ordinary telescope or tube one) to have as a back up and mess around with at home.

Now it's just a question of which and if to get two different ones to experiment with or get us both the same one.

I'm thinking either Kbox, IStick 30/50, or Segelie Mini. Probably leaning toward IStick at the moment though they seem to be sold out just about everywhere. Is there a solid store with them in stock for less than $50? Or a pre order option that won't charge until it's shipped?

My only local smoke shop only has istick 20s and their kbox is $50 without battery in it.

I haven't seen much mention of the segelie here? I like the fact that you can choose to bypass the chip and run as a mech, and I like that it uses replaceable batteries yet you can still charge via usb.

I have a Sigelei 150w and I love it.

If you get a Subtank, don't put it on a mech. A mech will overpower the Subtank (unless you build for the mech) and the 510 pin is spring loaded.

omie1950

Mar 15, 2015
    Southside, TN
    If you think you may go to a sub ohm tank later on I would get the istick 30 or 50. If you are going to stay with the higher ohm tanks then I would go with the itaste 2.0. I have both of these batteries, they feel good in your hand can stand to be dropped once in a while and are easy to recharge. I recharge the itaste nightly, and the istick 50 lasts me two days between charges.

Steve.

Mar 3, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    iStick 50w
    Sub tank mini (comes with 20 coils and cotton to build your own on a deck they provide that can't be done on the nano)
    The mini comes with a .5 coil that you can try out, otherwise there is 1.2 shipped with it. Can buy a pack of 5 will last a month or two for maybe ten bucks. The battery you can get a whole weekend out of.

Its a great duo!

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Thanks for the burst of quick replies, quite helpful!

I know this is probably going to result in a bunch of different people with different suggestions -- but what is a good place that has affordable prices and always AUTHENTIC and working equipment? Up until now I've been doing most of my shopping through madvapes (or occasionally ebay, but i'm aware that's a gamble on authenticity) but madvapes has a subpar selection that's constantly out-of-stock. I don't have a good vape shop near me, really, not without driving about an hour.

I think that I may heed the advice of BrandonR and a few others and go the route of something that has replaceable batteries. I've done a bit of research and I'm willing to learn my ohm laws, it really seems quite simple (I mix my own liquid using concentrated nicotine, so I'm careful and responsible with this stuff and wouldn't just throw something together without educating myself on the matter). I'm not completely sold yet but I'm leaning that way... I do like the idea of the IStick in that it's sturdier, has a longer lasting battery, and would work with my current tanks as well as sub ohms...

I'm also thinking that I like the idea of the Kanger Subtank... Something that I can use prebuilt low or sub ohms with but eventually switch to rebuildable when I feel like taking the leap.

Question: Are you allowed to buy and sell things (via Paypal) through these forums?

Hi tehmidcap,

Yes, ECF has no problem with PayPal, but PayPal has an issue with anything related to ecigs.

This may or may not be helpful, but there's a pretty good little thread that might help you in your decision making process.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...40761-little-itty-bitty-mods-under-100-a.html

And along with that thread is "The Sheet" - a spreadsheet of little itty bitty mods for under $100.

Who knows..... you might just find your perfect match! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread