The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

GI mods - GTR

Discussion in 'Mech Mods' started by Ben85, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ben85

Ben85 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    I fancied a genuine Pinoy mech so I picked up a GTR mod as, comparatively, it was a lot of mod for the money.

As I always do, I did a full breakdown and clean of the mod before I have it a whirl. I had seen that people had struggled to get the ultem piece out and was initially pleased to find that mine slid straight out. Great I thought (as usually I am the 1 guy that has the issues!) but then I saw that the ultem was split (see below);

[​IMG]

I was of course annoyed, especially as I have had clones arrive in mint condition which cost a fraction of the price, but I let it go and have sent the company an email knowing that ultimately I could still use the mod without any issues.

A couple of days have passed by and after watching a couple of reviews online, I keep seeing that this mod has a "self adjusting 510" and now I have begun to wonder. Is that split a really poor attempt at a self adjusting 510 (because of the split the bottom contact now flexes and is actually slighting self adjusting) or are these claims as I initially thought - which are incorrect. Can someone who has one please confirm if their ultem is the same as mine? In short, I either have a slightly broken mod, or I have a mod with a pretty shoddy piece of design. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my query!

No thread is complete without a full pic so here goes;

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. MMW

MMW Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    Hi Ben. I have 2 GTRs. That split is a faulty block. Also the 510 doesn't self adjust.

I had a bit of a hassle trying to get the Ultem block out on both. It took a tap with a hammer and screwdriver to get it to slide out. After that, I sanded down the sides of the block for a better fit.

• Like Like x 3
  3. MMW

Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    Also, its copper underneath that plating on where your negative caps screw in.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ben85

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Thanks for the reply. This is what I expected. It being broken probably explains why I am the only one that had no issues sliding my block straight out.

Annoyingly, GI mods are yet to reply so I have gone back to the original retailer. All quite frustrating considering that this is the first issue I have had with a mod in a few years and is the first non-clone I have bought in a few years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. MMW

Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    Agreed. Definitely warranted in this case. Mine hit hard and are my favs, but it should be a banger and no hassle right out of the box.

I bought one from Dragons Den, and one direct from Ryan, the owner of GI mods.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MMW

Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    Ben, did this get sorted out?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ben85

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Nope - still no reply. Which apparently is common with the company.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ben85

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Just a quick update on this one. After waiting months, I contacted them again and I got a response! After a brief discussion, they said they had the part I needed and as long as I paid shipping I could have it. I gave them my address so they could let me know how much it would be and then didn’t hear anything for 2 weeks. So I contacted them again and I was told that they would sort this out the next day. No apology or anything, they are just “too busy”. It has now been yet another 2 weeks and I am still without the the part - which was broken on arrival. All very poor. I have shelved this one for now as it’s all very frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. MMW

Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    Sorry to hear that Ben. I will no longer do business with GI mods.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ben85

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Another update... After hearing nothing again for 3 weeks, I chased them (again) and they have now quoted me $60 shipping for probably a part that weighs 2 grams and was broken on arrival. I have replied saying how ridiculous this is and of course have had no reply. We are now at 5 months without this being resolved. I think my next message to them will be about where they can stick this mod...

Quite simply - avoid GI mods. Shocking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ben85

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    I officially give up. 6 months later and still not resolved. I was added to the Facebook group though where there are pages of disgruntled owners complaining about customer service.

In short, DO NOT BUY GI MODS PRODUCTS. I would sooner quit vaping than give those clowns my money. Ironically the 1 GI product I own that works well is a clone. I took pleasure in telling them that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. entropy1049

entropy1049 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

GI has certainly reacted to your complaint in the worst possible ways. A lot of modders have fallen by the wayside for treating their customers poorly. Sounds like GI’s countdown clock is ticking.

Makes me want to go buy a GI clone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Outcast

Outcast Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    I have not herd anything grate from GI Mods hope u atlest get ur cash back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ben85

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Well I actually have an update... I got the part!!! ... but just not from GI Mods. In the end they just ignored me so the seller I got it from helped me out.

It’s a shame because the GTR is a nice little box, it’s just the company is so awful.

15. Outcast

Outcast Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    It’s a shame that a lot of the mod makers don’t make extra parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.