gift idea... advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassondruh

Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Oregon
Hi all,
My mom has smoked since she was fifteen and will turn 60 in a few years. She has wanted to quit smoking SO many times throughout the years, and successfully for about a year at one point. She has been a little curious about my vape pen, and I've told her plenty of good things trying to convince her to make the switch, without pressure of course.
I really think I want to purchase her a starter kit but I'm not sure what I should get her. I'm thinking just a regular ol starter vape pen and maybe a gift certificate for eliquid?
I want to be able to wrap it up for Christmas, so at least a vape pen.
She has smoked between 1-2 packs of camel filters daily for many years, so I'm not sure what would be an appropriate nic level for her. I'm not sure if I should buy an actual eliquid for her, or maybe just give her ideas.

Any advice or ideas are very welcome. Thank you!

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
You're mom smoked about the same way that I did... 1-2 packs of Camel filters... sometimes non-filtered for me... then a stint at rolling my own smokes (tobacco of course... perique and a dark flue cured shag tobacco that was awesome!)

When I switched to vaping I seemed to migrate to RY4 flavors at 36mg nicotine... I stayed there for years... I'm finally down to 6mg and mostly fruit and dessert flavors.
I think your idea is awesome, and I think your mom will truly appreciate your efforts. A standard eGo style starter kit with a decent topper would work well enough for her for a while... maybe even go so far as a Twist battery and a Nautilus Mini... much more than that and it'll probably be overkill for her...

Anyway, that's my two cents... good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum, Cass!! :)

Auntie Mame

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Southern CA, United States
I like the idea of a twist battery with a mini nautilus and I suggest you give her a small bottle of some juice that reflects the holidays, like candy cane or some holiday flavor she enjoys along with a gift certificate to an inexpensive supplier, like Mt. Baker, so she can order a few to find something she loves to get her started. Watch the black friday-cyber monday sales, you may be able to get a great deal :)

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
These are just examples below but I would make sure it is glass I am not a big fan of plastic tanks.

ego style battery kit: ARO Clearomizer eGo Kit

and one of these as a spare: 2.5mL NBC Tanks

This way she can have a spare if she is having problems. and they are cheap. Total setup would be about $30 cash without shipping. And have her try a few of your flavors and find out what she likes on the sly. At least have a flavor for her to put in the tank when it is opened, and I would guess 18mg or 24mg

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I like the idea of a twist battery with a mini nautilus and I suggest you give her a small bottle of some juice that reflects the holidays, like candy cane or some holiday flavor she enjoys along with a gift certificate to an inexpensive supplier, like Mt. Baker, so she can order a few to find something she loves to get her started. Watch the black friday-cyber monday sales, you may be able to get a great deal :)

Mmmmmm... I tried an eggnog flavor last night that was amazing! Wish I could remember the brand.... gonna have to go back to that B&M... they are very new but had a TON of different juices... I ended up leaving with Cosmic Fog's "The Shocker"... a strawberry lemonade flavor that is pleasantly tart and sweet!

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
Not sure about the juice. Need to tailor it to what she likes.

Equipment though, get two vision spinners (12 bucks on ebay) or any two Ego twists, and 2 Aspire K1's (8$ on ebay or in some online stores). The K1's hit like a Nautilus but are less fiddly and much cheaper (use smaller Aspire BVC's not nautilus BVC's). Get a charger and maybe one of those ego cases and some juice and good to go. High quality vape, low price. If price is really an issue just one of each is OK, just, it isn't good to NOT have a spare when you're quitting smoking.

Nic level - I was a 2.5 pack a day smoker, started at 24mg but quickly had to drop to 18mg. I'm okay at that level now but will probably go down to 12mg. Her frequency of vaping will be the big deciding factor.

cassondruh

Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Oregon
YAY!! Thank you all for the fantastic ideas on starters. I didn't really think about having a spare for her, but that totally makes sense because who wants to wait to charge a battery when they are nic'n.
the little samples of various flavors, holy vapes, that didn't even occur to me but that's an awesome idea. And the flavors she doesn't like she might just have to give to me :thumbs:
You guys are awesome!
I might have to do some research on setups. Are some of the setups you guys mentioned fairly easy for a couple of noobs?
This morning she said she just wanted a Bob Seger or Boston cd for Christmas, muahahaha :p

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
South Central PA
The Halo Tobacco sampler packs are great for new vapers. Helped me quit.

E-liquid Sample Packs | Tobacco Flavors | Halo Cigs

E-liquid Sample Packs | Halo Cigs

Being a vaper yourself you understand that tobacco flavored juices aren't always the answer. When I first quit I was hooked on a local B&Ms Berries and Cream. Smokers think they want tobacco, and we all know there isn't a liquid that tastes like burning paper and plant matter. Give her a bunch of options. The less she has to do by herself the better chance she has at being successful. Definitely have some options in the juice department, a little fruit, a little bakery/dessert, and some tobacco.

The Mini Nautilus with a variable voltage twist or spinner battery is a great idea. Make sure you show her how to use everything, replace coils, prime coils adequately, etc. If you don't prime those BVC coils in the Mini Nautilus they will scorch and taste horrible. Ask me how I know.

Good luck!

Edit; I forgot, Aspire has their own battery out, looks like it would go great with the Nautilus Mini.

http://www.worldofvape.com/aspire-cf-vv/

They're slick looking, I kinda want one myself.

Last edited:

ronnbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2014
Sawmills, NC, USA
The rule of thumb for nic I go by is Pack-A-Day Full flavor: 18mg, PAD Lights: 11 or 12 (depends on what the juice line has). 2 Packs: 24mg with the potential to bump up to 36 if not enough, but would rather have someone start low and move up than start high and not like it. I suspect the 2 pack days are the stressful ones, so start at 18 or 11/12 depending on what kind she smokes. She can always chain vape to get the needed nic til she knows what nic level she needs.

As to the kits: these suggestions are good, so I see no need to add my 2 cents.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Since you don't know if your mom will take to vaping and what she might like, I'd recommend this little kit:

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/evo...tage-blister-pack-cheap-ecig-starter-kit.html

Add a wall adapter:

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/bat...versal-a-c-charger-adapter-with-usb-port.html

extra coils for the eVod

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/kanger-evod-coil-replacement-heads-5pk.html

a few small bottles of e-juice and see what happens. If she likes it, she'll be able to add more batteries and different toppers later. But this setup will give her all she needs to start her vaping journey with a very little initial investment.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Since you don't know if your mom will take to vaping and what she might like, I'd recommend this little kit:

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/evo...tage-blister-pack-cheap-ecig-starter-kit.html

Add a wall adapter:

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/bat...versal-a-c-charger-adapter-with-usb-port.html

extra coils for the eVod

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/kanger-evod-coil-replacement-heads-5pk.html

a few small bottles of e-juice and see what happens. If she likes it, she'll be able to add more batteries and different toppers later. But this setup will give her all she needs to start her vaping journey with a very little initial investment.

Good luck!

Oops... I goofed--I just noticed that it's a fake, not a real Kanger battery in that kit. I'd still recommend something similar, though, but not a fake. :facepalm:

A nice Kanger eVod or Joyetech or Vision Spinner vv battery and a simple Kanger T3S or eVod topper.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
I would say start with 2.4 % as my mum has a similar background and she's new to vaping and is doing good with the 2.4%.

A mod called an istick is great. if not an ego battery is fine most will say get a variable voltage battery well that depends on your mum if she likes technology or shuns it , though mine for whatever reasons didn't like the ego vv batteries but loves the istick.

She also likes her ce4 clearomisers but most people like tanks like the nautilus mini , protons mini. They have coils that you replace and some see that as good and others just like the disposable clearos.

Yes to spares.

She can vape listening to More than a feeling or against the wind :)

If using a clearomiser / tank that delivers better than the ce4's then may find your able to use a lower nic after a while but the idea is to find what your comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread