Status
Not open for further replies.

Engraced

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
AK-Rowdy, Ohio
I've been considering getting my brother a basic 'starter' kit for vaping. He's been a smoker for 12+ years (we both started at 18, but he's 5 years older than me), and I want to get him the best 'start' when it comes to vaping.

I have used the 901, the 510, and am now on a TW Tornado tank (I think it's an eGo when it comes to generic names?).

I love my TW TT, but do you think it'd be TOO big of a switch for him? It's not even remotely cigarette-like.

Also, I know he smokes menthols, but I was thinking about getting a couple of different flavors as well. Any recommendations from former-menthol folks as to what they like?

(And I'm a Totally Wicked loyalist, so I'd prefer model recommendations that they carry, if possible)

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
Personally , for long time smokers who may resist the switch, I suggest mini's. I know, we all get away from them, but it makes for an easy transition. A big part of people's habit is the hand to mouth and holding a cig. The mini gives you that. If that wasn't the case, more people would quit with the patch or gum.

I actually use my large batteries at home, but still use the mini at work because it's smaller and easier. Being a landscaper, I like holding a cig in my hand while I work, so I can do that with a mini. Once I get home, I switch to a 130mah battery. Since they are the same connection, I can just keep using my phoenix cartos.

My mini gives me 3 1/2 hours of use so a couple of batteries gets me through work and that's plenty

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
And I'm a Totally Wicked loyalist, so I'd prefer model recommendations that they carry, if possible
Unfortunately they really don't have too much choice with different models. I would suggest a Kgo- unlike the eGo series it's true 3.7 volts with many followers or an E-Power also 3.7 volts. The diff between the two is the Kgo is sharpie pen sized while the E-Power is slighly larger. Another diff is extra Kgo batts are $18 each while E-Power bats are 2 for $9.00. As for menthol I buy menthol drops and add them to my juices BUT I DIY.
Good Luck
Batt info- 100 mah= 1 hr normal vaping before recharge.

Last edited:

Engraced

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
AK-Rowdy, Ohio
Unfortunately they really don't have too much choice with different models. I would suggest a Kgo- unlike the eGo series it's true 3.7 volts with many followers or an E-Power also 3.7 volts. The diff between the two is the Kgo is sharpie pen sized while the E-Power is slighly larger. Another diff is extra Kgo batts are $18 each while E-Power bats are 2 for $9.00. As for menthol I buy menthol drops and add them to my juices BUT I DIY.
Good Luck
Batt info- 100 mah= 1 hr normal vaping before recharge.

Where do you get your menthol drops? I've only really found the menthol crystals.

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
I know alien visions has decent menthol drops.

I'd suggest some bobas with menthol added to it, maybe?

I found that most menthol smokers shy away from menthol pretty fast as they get used to vaping.

And I would suggest a volt kit(or something similar), great starter kit to mimic cigs and get you off them initially... till you want something better.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
All menthol drops are menthol crystals mixed with PG or VG. Here's some menthol juice people love:
Organic Menthol Moon Drops E-liquid | Virgin Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Organic e-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes
High grade menthol drops:
https://strictlyejuice.com/index.ph...ducts_id=294&zenid=gg9384ln2giholtqh2jqmd4la6
I was buying from Europe but ran out so my last batch was from a Cdn vendor.

Where do you get your menthol drops? I've only really found the menthol crystals.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I guess your choices will be dictated by price and size. If he wants a cig sized PV then the Volt is the best out there as posted. If he doesn't mind a larger PV then a 3.7 volt PV would be ideal. And then of course we get into the Mods. If he doesn't mind a varibale volt Tube Mod here's the LavaTube= Lambo= KnightRider= VTube...a GREAT price with the 30% discount:
Apollo VTube Kit
Promotion: You can use code 'vtube30' to get 30% discount while our vtube stock lasts.

TarFreeMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Bellevue, NE
I'm a former 30+ year menthol smoker and I don't go for menthol juices at all. In fact, I don't even really care for juices that have menthol added for the "cooling effect" or whatever they call it. I've been very surprised to find that I like more berry and tropical type juices. Some of my friends razz me a little over that not being very manly and all, mostly the ones who still smoke. I just remind them that I can now outrun them, outswim them, and have the endurance of a nonsmoker. :2cool:

Finding the right juice seems to be the most tedious thing. Everyone's tastes differ and may very well change the further one gets from the last cigarette.

As far as equipment, and assuming your brother is READY, I would only recommend that you 1. make sure there is enough battery life available to make it easy for him and 2. make sure he has a backup for everything from the PV to juice to whatever juice delivery system. Without those two things it only takes a PV breakdown or dead battery or dead carto to send one to the nearest gas station for a pack of his old poison.

I'll leave hardware recommendations to those who have run the gauntlet of PVs. I went from an ego knockoff to an APV so I don't feel qualified to give starter hardware advice.

Anyway, what a very thoughtful gift. He's a lucky brother. I hope he finds the success so many others have with.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I know alien visions has decent menthol drops.

I'd suggest some bobas with menthol added to it, maybe?

I found that most menthol smokers shy away from menthol pretty fast as they get used to vaping.

And I would suggest a volt kit(or something similar), great starter kit to mimic cigs and get you off them initially... till you want something better.

My last 5 years or so of smoking, I was nothing but menthol. I don't remember why I switched, just know I did. Oh, might have been when Marlboro Smooths came out, but they were full flavor, so I got away from them quickly and back to my Camel Wide Lights, just in Menthol since Camel started making those. I used a "Camel Menthol" juice for barely 2 weeks before switching to flavors.

Over in a flavor thread I was discussing that as smokers, we were presented with 2 flavors. Regular and Menthol. I think most menthol smokers go that way because they need the cigarette, but want to get away from too much regular tobacco flavor. Menthol was the only choice. Now that we vape and see the cornucopia of flavors, we move on quickly.
This is merely me postulating and as always YMMV. :)

Engraced

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
AK-Rowdy, Ohio
I'm a former 30+ year menthol smoker and I don't go for menthol juices at all. In fact, I don't even really care for juices that have menthol added for the "cooling effect" or whatever they call it. I've been very surprised to find that I like more berry and tropical type juices. Some of my friends razz me a little over that not being very manly and all, mostly the ones who still smoke. I just remind them that I can now outrun them, outswim them, and have the endurance of a nonsmoker. :2cool:

Finding the right juice seems to be the most tedious thing. Everyone's tastes differ and may very well change the further one gets from the last cigarette.

That was my main concern. I figured I'd set him up with 3ml-5ml (I can't remember what size I bought off ebay) bottles of most of my stuff so he can try different juices, but I didn't know if menthol smokers tended to stay with menthol when vaping.

As far as equipment, and assuming your brother is READY, I would only recommend that you 1. make sure there is enough battery life available to make it easy for him and 2. make sure he has a backup for everything from the PV to juice to whatever juice delivery system. Without those two things it only takes a PV breakdown or dead battery or dead carto to send one to the nearest gas station for a pack of his old poison.

I'll leave hardware recommendations to those who have run the gauntlet of PVs. I went from an ego knockoff to an APV so I don't feel qualified to give starter hardware advice.

Anyway, what a very thoughtful gift. He's a lucky brother. I hope he finds the success so many others have with.

That's mainly why I generally prefer to stick with Totally Wicked... My original ecig battery and atomizer are still around and kicking quite nicely. I figured with the way I use and abuse my ecigs, if they've lasted this long, TW is doing something right.

(Dumb question of the century: APV?)

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I was a menthol smoker for 20 years, for me it wasn't just the flavor issue, but menthol was easier on me when I was sick or having breathing problems.

I tried a few menthol juices when I first started to vape and was unable to find one that hit the spot so to speak, tho on the flip side of that having been off menthol cigs for a while I do find I enjoy the menthol juices more now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread