Giving my Kanger Aerotank one last shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Ok, as I've owned my Aerotank for a few weeks I'm starting to notice a few things about it. Some that I really love and others that make me just want to chuck this thing.

Ok, so now for the stuff I love about the Aerotank:

Pyrex Glass - Wonderful
Glue Free Design - Says it all
Adjustable Airflow - Again - Says it all
Appearance - Not too shabby looking on a ProVari
Dual Coils - Need I say anything else

Now for the things I hate about it:

Flooding - This wasn't an issue until recently
Shorting - When mounted flush on my ProVari - I kept getting the E1 error - fixed by adding an O Ring to the 510 threads
Coil Head Quality - This is something I've experienced with previous Kanger Clearomizers and something they've heard about countless times
Portability - It's not a genesis - so why does it sometimes leak more than one after it's sat on its side for too long?
Airflow Control Ring - Could have made it a bit bigger than they did - The more material I can grab, the better off I am.

Now why did I post this? Because as I entered the vaping world I owned a Kanger. I STARTED on a Kanger Mini ProTank 2. I HATED IT! Always flooding, always gurgling, always drinking juice, and for the love of god, always having to attach a shop vac to the drip tip to get it primed with vapor so I could at least get SOMETHING out of it. Then I got a Kanger Evod VV Battery (1000MaH) and a Protank 3. The battery I loved but the Protank 3 - I had mixed feelings on. Just due to the fact that EVERY DAY and about every HOUR I would have to remove my tank to clean my battery contacts because for some unusual and god forsaken reason, my juice would POUR out onto the contacts from the air holes on the threading. Now for the Aerotank - I DON'T have the battery contact leakage - but it's gotten worse. The gurgle... I have YET to find a fix for that. DON'T BLOW INTO THE DEVICE! The juice will drain out of the air holes and all over you. I got it, you should hear a SMALL amount of popping and gurgling when you hit the fire button, but good god man... sometimes it sounds like I'm drowning in a bathtub. Popping - this tank did it so much I would drink 99% of what I was attempting to vape. I like to inhale my vapor not drink it. Added some extra wicking material to the top of the coil, problem seems to have diminished, but it's still present. The dreaded E1 error - If you're a ProVari user, you know what I'm talking about. I like to tighten my devices onto my ProVari. I don't like seeing an E1 error unless I'm dabbeling around with a coil or something and I'm trying to see how it'll work. With the Aerotank, I can't tighten it all the way down without an E1 error. Which is probably WHY I had to rebuild a Kanger head just 2 days after I got it (blown bottom coil). And now for the final piece of this whole thing - the leaking. I torque everything down - and I know on some devices - a light hand makes a heavy difference. But this thing is quirky. One moment you tighten it down, it works like a champ without leaking, 3 minutes later you go to take a pull off of it and you might as well lit a cigarette because it's burnt due to the fact your juice leaked all over the place. So you loosen it up a bit, refill it and it works again like a charm, and again, try to take another pull off it - BURN! So what's going on over there at Kanger? What are they doing? For Kanger being my first true step into the vaping world, I have a fond opinion of them. But this is getting obnoxious. Their batteries are pretty amazing as far as performance is concerned if you're not looking to purchase a higher end device and aren't going to be doing much on the rebuilding side of things, but it seems as if someone or something is getting in their way of producing a quality tank. PICK IT UP KANGER! You're driving me nuts!

Has anyone else had issues with their Kanger clearomizers? Or have I just stumbled on a bad batch or what?

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Lately most people (myself included) are complaining about QC of the atomizer heads. As far as the tanks themselves, they're fine. Ill tell you what I have started doing. When I get extra dual coil heads in for it, I break them down and build a single coil with cotton in it with a piece of cotton on top (to take up space in the larger slot). I kept having burnt coils or gurgling out of the stock dual coils. After I started doing this I've not had a problem. Great flavor, and great vapor production.

It may defeat the purpose redoing the coils that way but I've not had good luck at all with the stock DC's.

I've also had the E1 problem when tightening down my tanks. I have a bunch of o-rings in my drawer (the extra ones that come with the Protanks) ill try putting one around the 510 to see if that fixes anything.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Lately most people (myself included) are complaining about QC of the atomizer heads. As far as the tanks themselves, they're fine. Ill tell you what I have started doing. When I get extra dual coil heads in for it, I break them down and build a single coil with cotton in it with a piece of cotton on top (to take up space in the larger slot). I kept having burnt coils or gurgling out of the stock dual coils. After I started doing this I've not had a problem. Great flavor, and great vapor production.

It may defeat the purpose redoing the coils that way but I've not had good luck at all with the stock DC's.

I've also had the E1 problem when tightening down my tanks. I have a bunch of o-rings in my drawer (the extra ones that come with the Protanks) ill try putting one around the 510 to see if that fixes anything.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

yeah, to summarize, Kanger has great tanks ( probably the best in the clearo market ), a good design, and absolutely horrendous stock coils. I had completely given up on all my Kanger tanks, and was using Innokin and Aspire products exclusively, until i learnt to build proper micro-coils, and to place the coils properly and wick the coils right. I also purchased the Aerotank base to use on my Protank II's, and have been loving them since. No flooding, leaking, gurgling or dry hits. Just a solid, solid vape. Single coil, needless to say.

bludogg

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Arizona
*leaking*
Most of your complaints regarding Kanger heads are valid, except for the excessive leaking and shorts. Leaking will happen when the tank is low simply due to differential pressure if you let it sit. It shouldn't happen all the time, act like a flood, or give you E1 errors on the provari. These symptoms would suggest to me you are really seating those heads into the base very hard. That grommet around the base is pretty flimsy and holds the pos/neg legs. If you crank the heads in, you compress the grommet, exposing the wire ends. Compressing the grommet will also cause excessive leaking. Once you have done this, that grommet is kinda done and it might be difficult to get the leg safely behind it again or get a good seal on the head thereafter.

I'm not saying Kanger heads are the best, but your troubles are user error rather than Kanger's sorta crappy QC. E1 = leg exposed and touching connector. This can only happen if you torqued the head in too tight and then torqued the clearo into your PV very tight, thus compressing the grommet and peeling the leg away with the deformity so it touches metal.

Edit: You can take your head apart and see that the grommet acts as both a fluid seal as well as retaining the legs. Compressing that grommet will deform it resulting in leaking + expose and deform the coil legs causing a probable E1 error.

Edit2: I suppose to make this more clear. The actual connector tip at the end of your head that makes contact with your PV is simply a tiny pin. It is also responsible for pinching and securing the legs against the grommet. When you wind the head into the base very tightly you slightly compress that grommet and have overextended the connection pin. You then screw your tank into your PV which results in pushing the pin into the head compressing the grommet further. You now have no seal and exposed leg.

Last edited:

Thundernoggin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
MI
Most Kangers require a little tweaking here and there. Once you get the attys figured out though it's smooth sailing. Over 20 of them in the house now with very few issues. I rewick every new atty with cotton and they have been a joy to use. Center pin was a little fiddly but I love my Aerotank bases now.

Last edited:

Vaporlass

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2011
Texas
I'm having same issues and am about to give up on these tanks as well and I've got 5 on hand at the moment which means Id rather find a solution.
Will someone do a video explaining these solutions or post link of video with solution? Maybe its my screaming frustration over continued failures of coils causing my inability to comprehend at the moment :) I'm needing someone to draw me a picture or link a video, literally. :) I was thinking it was the coils -possibly getting cheap(er) versions rather than original Kanger coils. At this point I'm willing to rebuild coils and I have never done that before.

I know this thread is kinda old but here gos...In order to "fix" the problem I had with this tank ( Aerotank Mega, Kanger, genuine) I took a regular single coil and put another top O ring/ washer from another single coil..upside down on top and now it blows smoke...Not at all like my Kayfun but at least it works now !

View attachment 362092

Like so..: )

Last edited by a moderator:

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I'm having same issues and am about to give up on these tanks as well and I've got 5 on hand at the moment which means Id rather find a solution.
Will someone do a video explaining these solutions or post link of video with solution? Maybe its my screaming frustration over continued failures of coils causing my inability to comprehend at the moment :) I'm needing someone to draw me a picture or link a video, literally. :) I was thinking it was the coils -possibly getting cheap(er) versions rather than original Kanger coils. At this point I'm willing to rebuild coils and I have never done that before.

I made a two part blog on how I rebuild version 1 Kanger dual coils into a single micro. It may give you some ideas...

Click on the "2" next to blog entries under my avatar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread