The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Good, first wire

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by exnihilo, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. exnihilo

exnihilo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    I have an RBA on the way (first one), and some ceramic wicks. I usually vape at 2.2, but enjoy as low as 1.8. What's a good, average wire gauge. Leave subjectivity at the door. Is 30 a good in-between?

Thanks!

cg

2. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Can't leave subjectivity at the door--all mileages vary here.

I use 30ga because it's easier for me to work with. I have to use more wire than if I had used 32, but the tradeoff is worth it to me.

3. Giant Squid

Giant Squid Full Member

Aug 24, 2013
    UK
    If the wire is too thin there's less surface area in contact with the wick. This is why different coils can vape differently at the same watts. If there's less surface area the power is more concentrated and there's more chance of scorching the liquid. I use 30G myself and find it works well. Ribbon might work even better.

4. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Cool, 30 it is. Thanks!

Does anyone have a good domestic source for the flat stuff?

cg

5. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I use 30g to make a 2.o ohm coil.

6. OlDogNewTricks

OlDogNewTricks Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2013
    Venice, FL
    30 or 28, depending on what I am shooting for. I like 1.7ish ohms because I enjoy vaping at 8 watts. Works on a mod well. Just my two cents. Good luck and have fun!

7. Jazzi Mike

Jazzi Mike Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Michigan
    I like 32. I mainly use VV/VW devices and 32 is good to get resistance above 2 ohms. 32 is strong enough that I don't break it when I pull it tight.

8. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    32g will give you more in the 1.8-2.2Ω range than 30g will* unless you go with more wraps on the 30g, which will take longer to heat up. but the thicker wires are easier to wrap then the higher gauge wires.

*this is with 4-6 wraps on a 2.5mm diameter wick. however ive got gennys set up with 32 that are 1.2 and 1.3Ω. this is with 3 wraps. so, it really just depends on how many wraps you use.

also, if you want to decrease the resistance of your wire, you can run two equal-length strands parallel to each other to create the effect of thicker wire. or you can twist two strands to the same effect.

9. Kemosabe

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    Resistance Wire

10. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your input!

Ugh, should should have known that flat wire isn't measured in gauges. How do I tell what I may need/want?

cg

11. degnr8

degnr8 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2009
    Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
    I haven't tried the flat wire, but have heard it's harder to work with. I vape 1-1.3 ohm. started with 32 then got some 30 and I think I liked the 32 better because it was hotter at the same resistance and I don't want to go sub-ohm.

12. rbeckys8

rbeckys8 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2013
    idaho
    I never realized if there are more coils then the wicks have more heating area to make a flavor better

wick more flavorable

13. Kemosabe

Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
  14. Whosback

Whosback Super Member ECF Veteran

May I do a slight hijack for good mesh or cotton wick sources?

15. degnr8

degnr8 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2009
    Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
    Don't know about mesh, but I just get cotton balls at the nearest pharmacy or dollar store

16. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Excellent resource, thank you :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.